should i start teaching lessons?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

more accomplished at trombone than bass. ive been playing trombone for 7 years. bass only about 2 years but i tend to do alright. i am more inclined to teach trombone lessons than bass.

Go for it. You need the experience if you want to be a teacher.

• Members

Make sure you REALLY know what you are doing. There are ton of 'teachers' out there doing more harm than good simply because they need the money. I don't think it's enough to be slightly better than your student - I wouldn't want to study first year psychology at university from a second year student....

A good teacher should have his/her theory and technique down COLD so that they can pinpoint potential problem areas for their students early on to eliminate learning bad habits and developing issues in the future.

There is a reason the Royal Conservatory of Music has it's pedagogy requirements to be a teacher. Even absolute beginners are taking lessons with a well educated teacher far beyond their own skill level. In my opinion, it is only at the very advanced level that it becomes appropriate to take lessons from someone who isn't miles above you - mainly because the gap between skill level becomes smaller.

I've taught at 3 music schools and privately for a while and I have seen MANY underqualified musicians teaching students. Often, they waste the student's time and money and can even discourage a potential great player from pursuing music.

SERIOUSLY consider what you are doing here. There is a lot more at stake than some extra money in your pocket...

• Members

Make sure you REALLY know what you are doing. There are ton of 'teachers' out there doing more harm than good simply because they need the money. I don't think it's enough to be slightly better than your student - I wouldn't want to study first year psychology at university from a second year student....

A good teacher should have his/her theory and technique down COLD so that they can pinpoint potential problem areas for their students early on to eliminate learning bad habits and developing issues in the future.

There is a reason the Royal Conservatory of Music has it's pedagogy requirements to be a teacher. Even absolute beginners are taking lessons with a well educated teacher far beyond their own skill level. In my opinion, it is only at the very advanced level that it becomes appropriate to take lessons from someone who isn't miles above you - mainly because the gap between skill level becomes smaller.

I've taught at 3 music schools and privately for a while and I have seen MANY underqualified musicians teaching students. Often, they waste the student's time and money and can even discourage a potential great player from pursuing music.

SERIOUSLY consider what you are doing here. There is a lot more at stake than some extra money in your pocket...

ive seen my share of under qualified teachers, id be a more capable trombone teacher than bass. my fundamentals are solid and so is my music theory. im studying to be a music teacher. hopefully i will eventually teach on a college level. :)

• Members

I don't think that's necessarily true.

Yes, a teacher should understand the obstacles and know how to approach them... but being a good teacher means being a good observer first and foremost.

I know a lot of peeps that have their technique down COLD that couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

There is a reason the Royal Conservatory of Music has it's pedagogy requirements to be a teacher. Even absolute beginners are taking lessons with a well educated teacher far beyond their own skill level.

While that's true, it doesn't speak about the teachers' observational and troubleshooting skills. Because if their ONLY criteria is for someone to be highly skilled, I personally would not consider it a top-rate conservatory.

I can site many examples where professionals, getting paid very well, have gone back to an instructor... and that instructor was only a mediocre player. But most of the professionals considered them the BEST "instructor" in the field because of their ability to actually do "teaching" things.

I've taught at 3 music schools and privately for a while and I have seen MANY underqualified musicians teaching students.

Are they under-qualified musicians, or under-qualified at teaching?

I do agree that this shouldn't necessarily be taken lightly. However, I don't think his ability to teach is solely based on his years of experience (or lack thereof).

I've taken lessons from great musicians. And the best lesson I ever got on the drums was from a voice instructor. For the only reason that she knew exactly what my problem was, and knew EXACTLY how to approach it. My drum instructor who was highly trained in Classical and Jazz... did not.

Besides that, he's studying to be a teacher. He needs to start SOMEWHERE... and he really should start getting hands-on experience ASAP. Even if it's just a couple students a week... it helps him to put into practice what he's learning in the classroom.

Otherwise, it seems that by your standards, he shouldn't be teaching until 10 years after he graduates.

• Members

Are you wanting to teach college age or young kids? Are there any restraining orders or buffer zones around schools that you are not allowed in? :poke: (Just Kidding)

What age or area is your ultimate goal that led you into this area and would the experience greatly help you with jobs later in life? Can you do this as a resume builder? How much patience do you have with kids?

I have started trying to teach my daughter piano because I am tired of being on waiting lists for the good tecahers and at her age she does not realize the work that goes into learning to read music. The patience is the roughest part for me...

• Members

Are you wanting to teach college age or young kids? Are there any restraining orders or buffer zones around schools that you are not allowed in? :poke: (Just Kidding)

What age or area is your ultimate goal that led you into this area and would the experience greatly help you with jobs later in life? Can you do this as a resume builder? How much patience do you have with kids?

I have started trying to teach my daughter piano because I am tired of being on waiting lists for the good tecahers and at her age she does not realize the work that goes into learning to read music. The patience is the roughest part for me...

id like to teach whomever is willing to learn. i volunteer with the youth group at my church and am good with kids. i have loads of patience when it comes to first time people but i tend to get less patient with people whom should know betterl

• Members

id like to teach whomever is willing to learn. i volunteer with the youth group at my church and am good with kids. i have loads of patience when it comes to first time people but i tend to get less patient with people whom should know betterl

That's one thing you need to get used to as a teacher.

You may get older students (even adults) who just don't practice. But for some reason they keep paying you every week. And there's some students who just want to talk for 30 minutes.

Ya just gotta say... "Whatever". :idk:

Archived