Ebay rant (please advise)

seraphim7s

• Members

I've really never had any trouble before this, but let me tell you recently what happened:

I bought two Gotoh 201 chrome bridges from a US shop called 'guitarpartsresource' with Buy It Now. I emailed the guy about three times asking him to post the two together - a week later, no answer at all, so I just thought "okay, I'll send him the money, it's not the worst thing if he sends them separately".

Anyway, about 2-3 weeks later one of the bridges arrives unboxed (which didn't impress me). When another week or two had elapsed and the other bridge STILL hadn't arrived I emailed him another 2 or 3 times. No answer. So then I threaten him with negative feedback. No answer. I give him a final warning. No answer. He hasn't answered something like 5 or 6 msgs by this point.

So finally - after over 5 weeks - I leave the negative feedback. The guy IMMEDIATELY gives me a refund for the bridge, and then leaves two pieces of (completely mendacious) negative feedback for ME claiming he refunded me in advance, and that I was guilty of bad communication! I couldn't believe it! He (almost simultaneously) send a request to withdraw the negative feedback.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel genuinely cheated by this dishonest prick. :mad:

• Members

Retaliatory feedback is the reason I quit Ebay.

Sellers waiting until they receive feedback from you is rediculous. Once your auction is paid, the buyer's responsibility is done... but the seller's has just started.

I received an order of the wrong guitar parts (probably someone elses order) and tried to contact the seller through Ebay and through emails. After three weeks, I left negative feedback. He contacted me immediately and basically called me an idiot because the parts I received were worth more than the parts I ordered. He left me horrible feedback on four buy-it-nows.

The parts were worth more, but they were not what I needed to finish my guitar. They are still in a dusty box in my closet.

I hate Ebay.

• Members

Leave the negative feedback up there!

Don't delete it for ANY reason. Why? Because, as a buyer, negative feedback on you doesn't mean squat. People will still sell to you.

As a seller, though, negative feedback has more damaging consequences. That's why he wants you to remove it so quickly. Don't!

• Members

Sounds like a doucher, leave that feedback up. I'll be leaving negative feedback soon because a store took over 2 weeks to SHIP my item, and it's still not arrived a week after that.

• Members

Instead of leaving negative feedback you should have used dispute resolution.

I had problems with two things around Christmas. And. Both were fixed with dispute resolution.

this is what I would have done after e-mails were not replied to and items were not sent.

negative feedback is like chucking rocks at a car, dispute resolutions is like hitting it with a wrecking ball. if a frequent seller has ebay barking at them to fix their mistake, they'll do it quickly for fear of losing a source of income.

I noticed you from the UK, and the buy was US, was it an international auction? I ask because some sellers will be real jerks about international bidders after they have specified it was US only.

Doesn't change the fact that he's a weiner!

• Members

Sounds like a doucher, leave that feedback up. I'll be leaving negative feedback soon because a store took over 2 weeks to SHIP my item, and it's still not arrived a week after that.

I recently had to deal with a guy in Texas who was mad because his item didn't ARRIVE in his hands 72 hours after the auction ended. :eek:

The same guy that didn't want to pay Expresspost, is threatening to leave negative feedback on me because his package which was mailed in a small box via snail mail at the Post Office isn't in his hands, a few thousand miles and one border away within 3 business days. Two days really, as day one is lost as it did go out to mail, but the mail doesn't get collected/processed until the next day since I dropped it off after 5pm (auction closed after 5pm too I may add).

I had to talk him off the ledge just to save myself the neg feedback. Oh, and this being the one of the rare times that I left feedback as soon as he paid up. I did it "right" for a change, and it almost got me burned.

I hate ebay with a passion, but I just don't know of a viable option around here instead. CL just doesn't have the traffic that I need in this area or I'd forget ebay entirely.

• Members

To be fair, I have saved SO much money on Ebay that I can't really knock it too much. My experiences have generally been excellent. This is the first person I've dealt with who DIDN'T leave positive feedback as soon as he got paid - he waited to see what I did first.

Unfortunately I didn't know about 'dispute resolution'. By sending about half a dozen emails, I thought I was sorting it out myself!

Yuz are right, tho. As a buyer negative feedback has no effect on me whatsoever really (or does it?) - I mean, I always pay straightaway via paypal. It's the completely LYING feedback that upsets, because it's the exact opposite of what occurred. I mean, HIM accusing me of poor communication is absolutely f'ing ludicrous. He mentioned something about 'US sellers - don't sell to this guy!' which really annoys me because I buy quite a few little items from the US (weak $ atm)

davidM: Yeh, it was an international order, but the guy is set up for them - he even gives international shipping costs etc ... so it's not like this was out of the ordinary.

• Members

5 weeks is unreasonable. Leave the feedback. If you have to explain to a seller why you have negative feedback, I'm sure they'd understand the story just fine...

This is true. I have 4 negs presently, and if you actually take the time to find and read them, it's obvious that they are retaliatory in nature, so have no weight behind them. I, as a buyer, got ripped off in some capacity and have a negative feedback as a result.

I have never had my negs (knowingly) held against me to this date. As a seller I have a flawless track record. Makes me wish I opened a new account when I began selling, and just kept the "damaged" one for buying.

Archived