Whats the difference between g&l and g&l tribute?

Trauma_Luna

• Members

Ive been very interested on G&L basses since i played one at a music store, maybe my next bass will be a g&l, i ve checked some basses at Ebay and MF, but i dont know almost anything about this brand, so whats the difference between g&l and g&l tribute?

a g&l L-2000 costs $1275.99

g&l L-2000 Tribute $549.99

• Members

american made vs. not american made.

the similarities between the two is that they use the exact same pickups, preamp and hardware in both so the tribute is a real value if you look at it that way.

i know the american models can be ordered with vairous neck profiles as well where the non american versions have no neck options.

• Members

US made has different style construction neck, same pups, different bridge (though very similar), I
think
same electronics.

according to the musicians friend catalog where they did a side by side they said its the same exact bridge (IIRC).

• Moderators

american made vs. not american made.

the similarities between the two is that they use the exact same pickups, preamp and hardware in both so the tribute is a real value if you look at it that way.

i know the american models can be ordered with vairous neck profiles as well where the non american versions have no neck options.

I thought there was a difference in the bridges and other hardware. :idk:

• Members

here is where i got my info. printed in the latest MF that i got:

They don't offer as many options as the American models do, but the tonal character and range of the Tribute model is pretty much identical to that of the American-made bass and for good reason. The electronics are exactly the same

• Members

here is where i got my info. printed in the latest MF that i got:

source:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/g_l/l-2000_l-2500_basses?doc_id=103374

last paragraph.

"Even the hardware is the same, made under license using G&L designs and specs." - so not really the same. :D It's like the Duncan designed pups in the cheaper schecter guitars. Built exactly the same but not "real" Duncans.

• Members

MF is wrong that the hardware is the same. The tuners on the US models are a lot better. I never was impressed with the Tribute tuners, so I swapped them for hipshots, which is what G&L use on the US models. Now, it has to be said that I am picky about tuners though. The Tribute ones are okay, but I wanted some better ones. :p

• Members

Options would be another. Woods. Finishes. Neck sizes. The U.S. made G&L's have far more options than the Tribby's.

Otherwise, the electronics are the same as lug pointed out. Having owned a tribby and now owning a U.S. L-2000, I can say the differences are almost non-existent otherwise-the tone and playability are identical. Tributes are a great deal for the money. :thu:

• Members

Options would be another. Woods. Finishes. Neck sizes. The U.S. made G&L's have far more options than the Tribby's.

Otherwise, the electronics are the same as lug pointed out. Having owned a tribby and now owning a U.S. L-2000, I can say the differences are almost non-existent otherwise-the tone and playability are identical. Tributes are a great deal for the money.
:thu:

Agreed. After trying to Tribby AFTER buying a USA version I was kinda pissed. I could have purchased TWO Tribby's for the price of one! :thu: Honestly tho, BEST BASS I've owned. Beats my Lakland DJ in tones.

• Members

What's the difference between the Beatles and Beatlemania?

What's the difference between Iron Maiden and Iron Maidens?

What's the difference between Bootsy Collins and Bootsy Bonaduce?

What's the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

What's the difference between lug and a vaccuum?

• Members

I just won a used Tribute JB-2 on eBay for $312.00.

It's the newer Tribute series with the prominent G&L logo.

The "new" bridge says G&L. The "old" bridges used to say "Tribute".

The neck is thin satin finish all over, but not amber tint.

The body is listed a swamp ash on the site. I assume it's solid vs. plywood.

The electronics are American and the tuners feel fine to me.

I feel like I just saved about $800...

:thu:

• Members

What's the difference between Bootsy Collins and Bootsy Bonaduce?

What's the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

What's the difference between lug and a vaccuum?

I can kick a vacuum's ass! :mad:

Archived