OT - Going to France- travel advice

Mojo Marty

• Members

I love Paris, lovely place. Of course the people are rude, just like they are in London, New York, Athens or any other big city.

A 7 hour drive is a bitch but I guess Americans are used to that sort of thing :) My mind bends at the thought of it :freak: (then again, it takes about 2 hours to drive from one side of this country to the other so make of that what you will)

And sewing an American flag patch on your backpack really won't matter. People aren't as anti-American as you think ;) They just hate George Bush.

Have a blast, France is a lovely country.

As for the food... :eek::love:

• Members

I enjoyed the musee d'orsay much much more than the louvre, just my opinion I guess. And don't bother polishing up on your french. I had heard that if you tried to speak it, they would appreciate the gesture, but I didn't get that feeling (~5 months ago). They seemed to find my attempts tedious as most understood at least some english. I didn't get the feeling that there was an extremely rich nightlife, take a bottle of wine up to sacre-coeur and enjoy it on the steps out front, breathtaking view of the city at night...

• Members

You could have flown into Nice and driven the Cote d'Azur. Plenty of marvelous restaurants en route, along with beautiful places like Antibes and Toulon. Actually, there is nowhere in France that I've been that would not be worth a return trip (with the possible exception of Marseilles). Fantastic country.

And the French are not rude. Try to say a few things in their language to butter them up, they'll love you.

Thanks Jazz ad,

I'll be at Airbus for a conference, I'm planning on a couple of days in Paris, realizing you could spend a couple of months (years?) in Paris.

I realize its a long drive, I just couldn't get a train schedule that matched my return flight. My wife is coming and I used airline points for her trip, so I was a limited on the schedule for our return flight. So I figured it might be a good way to see some of the country side as well.

• Moderators

Without trying to sound pretentious!

Jazz Ad or anyone,

Flying into Paris this weekend, then driving to Toulouse (with the wife) for a conference.

Anyone tell me anything about Toulouse? any live music or anything interesting in the evenings? Anything in Toulouse I absolutely must see or do?

What about the drive from Paris to Toulouse? By distance it looks like about a 6 hour drive? is that accurate? Any interesting stops along the way? wineries etc?

Thanks

Have a great time!

I'll be flying into Bordeaux next week, arriving 21 June. From there, I'll be driving to the Dordogne, where we'll spend several days, then return to Bordeaux for the Bordeaux Wine Festival.

• Moderators

Oh, and don't buy the crap about the French being rude. The only place I have been that the thought may have entered my mind is Paris, but it is a large busy city, 45 minutes in NYC will quash any thoughts of the French being "rude". I would seriously consider moving to France or Italy, the ambiance is spectacular, the history is history, not current events. Both countries are just awe inspiring. When I retire I plan on spending a year in each country at least.

The one day I had in Paris, I went to the Louvre. Unfortunately, it was closed. So, while I've been there, I haven't seen anything but the courtyard.

I've been a few places, and my experience has been consistent: if I'm not rude, and demonstrate that I have made some effort to make myself understood and to understand the culture I am visiting, then people will go out of their way to accommodate me. Paris was no different.

• Members

When I went it was jammed. So I went across the street to Musee d'Orsee. In any other location, it would be a first-rate museum....

The one day I had in Paris, I went to the Louvre. Unfortunately, it was closed. So, while I've been there, I haven't seen anything but the courtyard.

• Members

We just got back from visiting our favorite French mod last month, and his advice (and many others here) is very accurate from what we experienced!

And I agree... I have no idea why anyone says the French are rude. We got exceptional quality service EVERYWHERE and the people were very kind to us. I would go back tonight if I could and I hope to spend more time there in the future!

Archived