Mahogany as a wood for Bass

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

I had/have one, its in parts now.
:lol:
I thought it was a bit muddy too, but the EMG I dropped into it counteracted that.
:)

My bass had EMG pickups in them too, and I thought it was muddy. They were passive pickups though, I don't know what EMGs you put in.

• Members

Well I got the option for either Mahogany or Ash. The guy wanted to cut a blank out to take a picture of to send me, so I told him to go ahead and show me a mahogany one. I feel bad, but I think I am rethinking this and going with ash

I love ash and all my custom basses have ash bodies.... BUT, Mark White of the Spin Doctors used a Mahogany bodied frankenjazz bass in the band's early years. The 'hits' were recorded with it.

[YOUTUBE]N-hC29aiCQ0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This is just my personal observation, but my mahogany body basses seem to sound better to me with a pick and my ash/swamp ash basses work better for fingerstyle.

It could just be the basses I own and my hands/ears.

• Members

This is just my personal observation, but my mahogany body basses seem to sound better to me with a pick and my ash/swamp ash basses work better for fingerstyle.

It could just be the basses I own and my hands/ears.

Or it could just be your face:mad: :D

Yeah the more that I look into it, Ash is more of what I need.

• Members

Or it could just be your face:mad:
:D

Yeah the more that I look into it, Ash is more of what I need.

Could be!

Usually I notice that my ash basses can be too "boingy" if I'm not careful. My mahogany basses can be too "tubby" or "boomy" if I'm not careful.

Not sure if that makes any sense, though. :)

• Members

from the Carvin website:

"Genuine Mahogany (Honduras)

Genuine Mahogany has an inherent warm quality with accentuated low-midrange. Mahogany is also considered to be a classic tone wood. It is denser and heavier than Alder, but lighter than Maple. Mahogany along with our flamed or quilted maple tops, gives great sustain and warmth. Genuine Mahogany should not be confused with less expensive Philippine and African Sapele. Genuine Mahogany is reddish brown in color and looks great with all colors."

http://www.carvinguitars.com/wood_finish/

• Members

Aaah, now there's something I hadn't considered... what TYPE of mahogany.

I'll have to call Warmoth back and ask them where their mahogany comes from, just ordered a Jazz body the other day.

What exactly does Carvin mean by GENUINE mahogany?

It could be Genuine Mahogany

• Members

Aaah, now there's something I hadn't considered... what TYPE of mahogany.

I'll have to call Warmoth back and ask them where their mahogany comes from, just ordered a Jazz body the other day.

What exactly does Carvin mean by GENUINE mahogany?

I am guessing that this blank that I am buying is not "genuine"

Archived