How to run a Rickenbacker with 2 amps?? HELP!!!

knw

• Members

I a Ric 4003...I got 2 amps and 2 cabs.

The rick has two jacks 1 rickosound (stereo) and 1 mono.

Someone said I need 1 stereo cable and a splitter...but can I run a stereo cable goin into one amp and a mono into my other amp.

What's the best way to do this...and for splitters....where can I buy one and what brand should I buy...or just name a few...I wanna get this done by tonight!!

Thanks a lot.

• Moderators

If you want to split the pickups to the two amps, you need to run a single stero cable out of the stereo output. That cable must then be split into two mono outputs, each of whic goes to a respective amp. Here is an example: http://www.bayoucables.com/bayouosound-box-p-160.html

If you just want to run two amps, use the mono output (which is the summed output of both pickups) into one of the amps and use a parallel output or direct through output to connect the second amp. Or you can get an ABY box and run the mono output into the box and the box into the two amps.

If you told us which amps you are using we could provide more specific hookup directions.

• Members

I'm using a Sunn Model T and a Sunn Concert Bass head

I want to run them both at the same time from my bridge pick up (at this time)...so I would have to use my mono output to a ABY box??

I think my guitar player has a ABY boss pedal but he doesn't know why he has it...haha...how hard is this to use...thanks.

Or is there a way to this with out the ABY box...like having one of the amps out into the other one...I'm just confused...but It's kind of making sense now...but I'm not 100% sure on how to accomplish this.

Thanks for the input so far.

• Members

I'm using a Sunn Model T and a Sunn Concert Bass head

I want to run them both at the same time from my bridge pick up (at this time)...so I would have to use my mono output to a ABY box??

I think my guitar player has a ABY boss pedal but he doesn't know why he has it...haha...how hard is this to use...thanks.

Or is there a way to this with out the ABY box...like having one of the amps out into the other one...I'm just confused...but It's kind of making sense now...but I'm not 100% sure on how to accomplish this.

Thanks for the input so far.

If you want to run from your bridge pup only, just get a mono Y cable and select the bridge pup when playing. The stereo plug takes the bridge pup to one output and the neck pup to another.

• Members

I don't like the idea of the mono Y cable...I'm more interested in a splitter type box that I could use a stereo cable trough it in the future to mess around with 2 pus going into 2 different amps...the reason I just want the neck pick up at this time...it's cuase I got custom rewound and it sounds hella good compared to my neck pick up...and it's LOUD and HEAVY.

btw I play in a band that sounds like the end of the world.

• Members

I couldn't afford the get the neck pick up rewound it was like 105 per pick up...but damn was it worth it...

anyways...right now for tonight I'm just lookin to play 2 amps trough my mono output...and also if there are any splitter boxes that will allow me to turn off one of the amps by just pressing a switch I would be interested in that...let me know what's out there from your personal experience...thanks

• CMS Author

I couldn't afford the get the neck pick up rewound it was like 105 per pick up...but damn was it worth it...

anyways...right now for tonight I'm just lookin to play 2 amps trough my mono output...and also if there are any splitter boxes that will allow me to turn off one of the amps by just pressing a switch I would be interested in that...let me know what's out there from your personal experience...thanks

How about you just use your pickup switch to control things instead if turning your amps on and off? Dude, keep it simple.

If you don't like the mono y-cable, then get a Ric-O-Sound box used. They are exactly the same wiring as a splitter cable, but cost $80. Even Ric realized how stupid this was and discontinued them.

• Members

How about you just use your pickup switch to control things instead if turning your amps on and off? Dude, keep it simple.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say by this...since I'm not looking to use the stereo out put at this time...so if I'm not using the stereo out up there is no way for me to control the amps with the switch of my bass...I'm looking to run both amps with my bridge pick up...so that means I have to be using the mono out put.

Now what I was trying to say is that I would be really interested in a box that I plug my bass into and then the box plugs into the amps...so basically a splitter...but then I would like to have control of witch amp I want to play...cuase at times I would only wanna play amp1 or amp2...so the splitter would have to have 2 switches so I can control witch amp I wanna use with my feet...does that make sense at all.

.................___________

.................|foot switch|--------amp1 (dirty tone)

bass -------| splitter box|

.................|foot switch|--------amp2 (clean tone)

.................-------------

that's basically what I want so I have control of what's playing so either amp1 or amp2 or both at the same time with just a tap of my foot.

• Members
This is exactly what you want for that . . . unfortunately it won't work later on when you decide you want to use the stereo output and split the pickups to two different amps. But it will work great for active switching between two amps, with the additional option of both amps at the same time!

• Members

is exactly what you want for that . . . unfortunately it won't work later on when you decide you want to use the stereo output and split the pickups to two different amps. But it will work great for active switching between two amps, with the additional option of both amps at the same time!

+1

The Morley ABY is what I use to switch the two amps I run. One clean and one dirty. It was under $50 if I remember correctly.

• Members

I just found out my guitar players have 2 ab switches each and they don't use them...so I'm gonna give this a go...thanks a lot for making this clear to me.

I'm gonna give this a go at our show tonight :lol:

Archived