Email from my bass player

Deeprig9

• Members

Quote:

have you sold your 2x12's yet?

do you think those speakers would sound good with bass

my amp has another speaker out and it actually adds watts to the amp if you use it

I need a little extra kick for shows

I wonder?

if so I might buy it

Unquote

He plays a nice fender pbass, through a $300 ampeg 1x15, I forget the exact model number. All our shows he uses the direct out from the amp to the PA, and just uses the amp for stage volume. For some reason he thinks he needs more punch and warmth live. He's too used to recording in cubase where he can do anything he wants to the bass, I guess.

So what's a good suggestion to get him some more punch and warmth live? a tube preamp for the line signal? Adding a closed back 2x12 cabinet and micing it instead of going direct?

Thanks!

Also, it should be noted that the email reads like a 13 year old because he uses a little pda for email so his emails are always like this, he's 30, a great musician, and intelligent person.

• Members

you generally get more then enough warmth from a 1x15...

it depends alot on what the 2x12 is. and guitar speakers are blown up easily by using them for bass.

i'd say he should look into a 1x15 plus a 4x10 rig....

... 2x10's generally give alot of punch to the sound, so if you're looking for adding a cab, that would be the place to look, imo...

but Ampeg is not known for it's punch, its known by its massive low end... so maybe he should look into a different thing then Ampeg...

... but you'll have to tell us more about what kinda tone he wants.

• Members

A guitar cab is not going to work well for bass, especially not in a live situation. In most cases, the speakers will blow quite quickly.

Yeah, are we talking a guitar cab here? A guitar cab will work great if it's that blown to hell speaker sound he's looking for.

• Members

Thanks guys. I forwarded the suggestions to him.

I suggested first, before he buys anything, try cutting the mids on the eq on the ampeg and fooling with the tone knobs on the bass first, not just by himself, but during practice tommorrow in the context of the songs. I have a feeling the punch he desires can be accomplished without additional purchases. I also told him the most consistent instrument in the band is the bass, not sure why he wants to go fooling with it.

Thanks again!

• Members

Thanks guys. I forwarded the suggestions to him.

I suggested first, before he buys anything, try cutting the mids on the eq on the ampeg and fooling with the tone knobs on the bass first, not just by himself, but during practice tommorrow in the context of the songs. I have a feeling the punch he desires can be accomplished without additional purchases. I also told him the most consistent instrument in the band is the bass, not sure why he wants to go fooling with it.

Thanks again!

CUTTING the mids will just make him dissappear more in the mix. Try boosting them instead, IMO.

• Members

I suggested first, before he buys anything, try
cutting the mids
on the eq on the ampeg and fooling with the tone knobs on the bass first,

Don't be doing that! Cutting the mids is the quickest way for the bass to dissappear from the mix altogether. Mids are what you want, low mids especially.

One more thing, your guitar tone also needs to be tweaked to work with the band, and the bass. Don't think that you might not be a part of this issue. From reading your post here I am guessing you run a scooped mids tone as well? If so you are probably a huge part of the problem. Mids are your friend for bass and guitar, and if the two of you aren't set to mesh well together and for the band, no amount of new gear is going to help.

• Moderators

Don't be doing that! Cutting the mids is the quickest way for the bass to dissappear from the mix altogether. Mids are what you want, low mids especially.

One more thing, your guitar tone also needs to be tweaked to work with the band, and the bass. Don't think that you might not be a part of this issue. From reading your post here I am guessing you run a scooped mids tone as well? If so you are probably a huge part of the problem. Mids are your friend for bass and guitar, and if the two of you aren't set to mesh well together and for the band, no amount of new gear is going to help.

Have you tried out how well you mix with a band with a relatively wide band the low mids cut? Let's say in the 200-300 Hz range?

I've been experimenting a lot with various EQ and I've love to hear your impressions of whether it works or is a complete failure in a band context if you leave all else relatively flat and simply cut the low mids by 6-9 dB.

• Members

Have you tried out how well you mix with a band with a relatively wide band the low mids cut? Let's say in the 200-300 Hz range?

I've been experimenting a lot with various EQ and I've love to hear your impressions of whether it works or is a complete failure
in a band context
if you leave all else relatively flat and simply cut the low mids by 6-9 dB.

Wouldn't that be about the area of the typical guitar's low's? If so that might work as it would keep both from stepping all over each other and causing a loud mush...

• Moderators

Wouldn't that be about the area of the typical guitar's low's? If so that might work as it would keep both from stepping all over each other and causing a loud mush...

:thu:

Generally spekaing, low mids on bass are considered to be in the range of 200-400 Hz or so. There are some that are of the mindset that cutting the bass in that range is the best thing that you can do for a mix. Obviously, as always, the key is to blend all of the frequencies from all of the instruments, so all of the advice above is directly on point, but the idea of cutting low mids, might not actually be bad advice.

• Members

:thu:

Generally spekaing, low mids on bass are considered to be in the range of 200-400 Hz or so. There are some that are of the mindset that cutting the bass in that range is the best thing that you can do for a mix. Obviously, as always, the key is to blend all of the frequencies from all of the instruments, so all of the advice above is directly on point, but the idea of cutting low mids, might not actually be bad advice.

Even better yet, lower the guitar lows and keep some low mid bass.:p

Archived