What's your next acquisition

fretless

• Members

My new Great River ME-500NV 500-series mic preamp / DI should be here Friday, and I'll be popping it into the Lunchbox beside the API 512c that's already there. :) After that I'll probably be set for a while, although lately I've been eyeballing this Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass hanging on the wall at the local shop. It's the same honey blond as my Highway 1 Strat, and it just freaking looks awesome. If it plays half as good as the Strat I might pick it up next month.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My new Great River ME-500NV 500-series mic preamp / DI should be here Friday, and I'll be popping it into the Lunchbox beside the API 512c that's already there.
:)
After that I'll probably be set for a while, although lately I've been eyeballing this Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass hanging on the wall at the local shop. It's the same honey blond as my Highway 1 Strat, and it just freaking looks awesome. If it plays half as good as the Strat I might pick it up next month.

Darn you and your darned Great River talk! :mad:

I just loaded up on pre's. :mad:

• Members

Darn you and your darned Great River talk!
:mad:

I just loaded up on pre's.
:mad:

Yeah? What'd you get? :) I think I'm putting together a pretty decent collection for a home studio.

(2) FMR RNP

(1) Grace Designs Model 101

(1) Groove Tubes "The Brick"

(1) API 512c (Lunchbox)

(1) Focusrite ISA-428

And then the Great River should be here Friday, taking up two more slots in the Lunchbox and leaving me with three that I'll probably fill with more API preamps so I can use them on drums. Right now I use the 512c on snare, but kick and overheads are run through the Focusrite (which I think is a really good pre for the price) and toms are run through the FMR RNPs.

I think that's a good start for a backroom studio.

• Members

Yeah? What'd you get?
I think I'm putting together a pretty decent collection for a home studio.

(2) FMR RNP

(1) Grace Designs Model 101

(1) Groove Tubes "The Brick"

(1) API 512c (Lunchbox)

(1) Focusrite ISA-428

And then the Great River should be here Friday, taking up two more slots in the Lunchbox and leaving me with three that I'll probably fill with more API preamps so I can use them on drums. Right now I use the 512c on snare, but kick and overheads are run through the Focusrite (which I think is a really good pre for the price) and toms are run through the FMR RNPs.

I think that's a good start for a backroom studio.

I ended up getting an FMR RNP (Wasn't it you that suggested it?) and a Sytek MPX4.

Add those to the UA LA-610 that I've had since November, and I was able to get some nice drum tracks this weekend. I ended up using the RNP for the rack toms. I used the LA-610 on the kick (the compressor came in handy). The Sytek was used for 2 overheads, snare, and floor tom. With the exception of the excessive volume of the Sytek, which I was barely able to get past, I really couldn't have asked for better results from my little home studio. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, that was me that suggested the RNP. :) I think they're fantastic preamps. How do you like the Sytek? I hear good things about them, but haven't used one myself.

We're in the midst of writing and recording a children's album, which has been fascinating, and we're doing most of it at my place. I think we're getting some great sounds on tape ... well, on hard drive, anyway. :D I've pretty much reached the point where I can't point at any one part of my studio gear and say "this is weak - it's holding me back." I still need to put my building up and move all my gear out into it so I have a bigger room, but considering all my stuff is crammed into a 10x10' room I'm really pleased with the results.

• Members

Yeah, that was me that suggested the RNP.
I think they're fantastic preamps. How do you like the Sytek? I hear good things about them, but haven't used one myself.

We're in the midst of writing and recording a children's album, which has been fascinating, and we're doing most of it at my place. I think we're getting some great sounds on tape ... well, on hard drive, anyway.
:D
I've pretty much reached the point where I can't point at any one part of my studio gear and say "this is weak - it's holding me back." I still need to put my building up and move all my gear out into it so I have a bigger room, but considering all my stuff is crammed into a 10x10' room I'm really pleased with the results.

Sounds like you are and I are at a similar spot. My limitations are my room(s) and my number of preamps. I have exactly the right amount to record good drums. If I go over, I rely on my Firepod's pre's. Those are not bad, mind you, but comparatively, I'm loving my new toys. A bigger room would be nice. I'm actually recording in my house. A corner of the basement, I've essentially done as much as I can to make it as dead as possible. I figure dead is better than "basement". :) I use it for drums and for mic-ing cabs. Upstairs, in my office is my control room. It's probably 12 x 13 or so. I use it for vocals just because the room sounds "okay" and it's handier to go back and forth between the computer and the mic when I'm recording myself. I also record acoustic guitar in there as well as occasionally electric guitar.

Funny thing, I don't even use a board to record. I do everything I can in the box. The only outboard gear I use aside from the preamps is the compressor on the UA-610 which is very nice for light compression.

But yeah, I'd love to have a dedicated larger space for this.

A children's album, huh? That's awesome. I actually recorded a Christmas EP for/with my wife and in-laws this past fall. It was fun and frustrating! :)

• Members

Sounds like you are and I are at a similar spot. My limitations are my room(s) and my number of preamps. I have exactly the right amount to record good drums. If I go over, I rely on my Firepod's pre's. Those are not bad, mind you, but comparatively, I'm loving my new toys. A bigger room would be nice. I'm actually recording in my house. A corner of the basement, I've essentially done as much as I can to make it as dead as possible. I figure dead is better than "basement".
I use it for drums and for mic-ing cabs. Upstairs, in my office is my control room. It's probably 12 x 13 or so. I use it for vocals just because the room sounds "okay" and it's handier to go back and forth between the computer and the mic when I'm recording myself. I also record acoustic guitar in there as well as occasionally electric guitar.

Funny thing, I don't even use a board to record. I do everything I can in the box. The only outboard gear I use aside from the preamps is the compressor on the UA-610 which is very nice for light compression.

But yeah, I'd love to have a dedicated larger space for this.

A children's album, huh? That's awesome. I actually recorded a Christmas EP for/with my wife and in-laws this past fall. It was fun and frustrating!

I have my room treated (although it could stand to have a few more bass traps in it if I had the room), so it sounds decent, but it still sounds like a small room. There's no real usable "room sound" from anything. Putting a mic up close on a guitar amp still sounds killer, and bass DI is bass DI regardless of the room size. I just wish I had enough space to get some room in the drum sound. I think I get a very good small room drum sound from my kit (Pearl Export with Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5" snare) and usually it sounds right for the songs, but sometimes it would be nice to have some space in it.

I just realized I left the Toft AFC-2 two-channel preamp/EQ off my gear list. Great EQ with decent preamps in it. I think the RNP has better preamps than the Toft, but the EQ in the Toft is fantastic. I don't use it a whole lot, though, because I tend to use in-the-box EQ.

• Members

You guys got me thinking about how much I'd love a recording space in my house. I wouldn't want (or be able) to outfit it with top of the line PT rig, but I was thinking more along the lines of a 002f and some decent mics so I can record ideas and rehearsals.

{censored}, that would RULE.

• Members

I have my room treated (although it could stand to have a few more bass traps in it if I had the room), so it sounds decent, but it still sounds like a small room. There's no real usable "room sound" from anything. Putting a mic up close on a guitar amp still sounds killer, and bass DI is bass DI regardless of the room size. I just wish I had enough space to get some room in the drum sound. I think I get a very good small room drum sound from my kit (Pearl Export with Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5" snare) and usually it sounds right for the songs, but sometimes it would be nice to have some space in it.

I just realized I left the Toft AFC-2 two-channel preamp/EQ off my gear list. Great EQ with decent preamps in it. I think the RNP has better preamps than the Toft, but the EQ in the Toft is fantastic. I don't use it a whole lot, though, because I tend to use in-the-box EQ.

Yeah, I don't tend to use much if any room sound, to be honest. I "simulate" it though on the drums by putting a LDC a few feet in front of the kit and then dumping a ton of large hall reverb on it. I leave that down pretty far in the mix, but it tends to open things up a bit. :D

• Members

You guys got me thinking about how much I'd love a recording space in my house. I wouldn't want (or be able) to outfit it with top of the line PT rig, but I was thinking more along the lines of a 002f and some decent mics so I can record ideas and rehearsals.

{censored}, that would RULE.

Just be warned - that's where I started. A Digi001 and a couple of mics.

Now I have the following:

Digi002 Rack factory

Digidesign Music Production Toolkit (lets me record 48 stereo tracks in ProTools LE, and has some nice plugins with it).

Preamps: listed above

Mics:

(4) SM-57

(2) SM-58 (mainly for live stuff)

(2) Beta 87a (mainly for live stuff)

(1) Beta 52a kick mic

(3) Sennheiser e604 clip-on tom mics

(1) Shure SM-7b

(2) Rode NT5 small diaphragm condensors

(2) AKG C-430 small diaphragm condensors

(1) Rode NT1-A large-diaphragm condensor (LDC)

(1) AKG C-414 B/XLS LDC

(1) BLUE Baby Bottle LDC

(1) Rode NTK tube LDC

(1) BLUE Woodpecker active ribbon mic

(1) ShinyBox 86MX ribbon mic

(1) ShinyBox 86MXC ribbon mic with Cinemag output transformer

(2) Cascade Fathead II ribbon mics, matched pair with Blumlein bar

The Digi002 has eight channels of I/O, plus I have the optional converter card for the Focusrite ISA-428 which gives it eight channels of solid D/A conversion. Then I have an Apogee Rosetta 200 for a total of 18 inputs and 10 outputs. The Apogee outputs are connected to a Mackie Big Knob monitoring system controller, which feeds my headphones and a pair of ADAM A7 monitors. :)

It starts small, but next thing you know it's a few years later and you've dumped thousands of dollars into music gear. :eek:

Not that I'd have it any other way. :D I love being able to get in the studio and play with all this stuff.

• Members

Speaking of home studios, I have been using a corner of my living room for the little bit of home stuff i do and some recording for friends. Nothing serious.

Most everything but vocals is direct into the board (no acoustic drums or anything like that) so will the room acoustics affect the sound at all? I am thinking of putting wooden floors down and I know the carpet absorbs a lot of the sound. Since vocals would be the only open mic type recording, how much will the room affect the sound?

• Members

Speaking of home studios, I have been using a corner of my living room for the little bit of home stuff i do and some recording for friends. Nothing serious.

Most everything but vocals is direct into the board (no acoustic drums or anything like that) so will the room acoustics affect the sound at all? I am thinking of putting wooden floors down and I know the carpet absorbs a lot of the sound. Since vocals would be the only open mic type recording, how much will the room affect the sound?

Generally speaking, if the room doesn't have a high ceiling and isn't treated, you probably want to get as much of the room out of your recording as possible. There are acceptions, though. My control room/music room/office has a nice open feel to it. (Hardwood floors and not much on the walls.)

• Members

If you're recording direct, the only time the room will have any impact is during the mix. If you have a really inaccurate room, it will translate into really inaccurate mixes. So, for example, something that sounds great while mixing may sound very bass-heavy in the car, or vice-versa.

I doubt you'd notice much difference.

• Members

about the best thing on this planet is a home studio
;)

To an extent. It depends on your goals and time.

I was heading down the road at those guys back between 2000-2005. I ended up only playing bass for my projects. No other time to do it. Nor did I have time or energy to write for myself. It was a great experience, but I've been slowly rebuilding my studio and making efforts to keep the gear out of the way of the spiritual exercise of making music. I didn't have my Earthworks pres for my CD Baby project. In fact, the only monitoring I had was my Sony MDR7506's. Everything was done on my outdated Roland 880EX. :p But it was successful in that it kept my mind on the craft of my playing and my focus on my imagination...rather then being tied down my engineering.

• Members

I was heading down the road at those guys back between 2000-2005. I ended up only playing bass for my projects. No other time to do it. Nor did I have time or energy to write for myself. It was a great experience, but I've been slowly rebuilding my studio and making efforts to keep the gear out of the way of the spiritual exercise of making music. I didn't have my Earthworks pres for my CD Baby project. In fact, the only monitoring I had was my Sony MDR7506's. Everything was done on my outdated Roland 880EX.
:p
But it was successful in that it kept my mind on the craft of my
playing
and my focus on my imagination...rather then being tied down my engineering.

You bring up a good point. It's really, REALLY easy to start accumulating gear and have that get in the way of your creativity. It's important to have a setup that not only sounds good, but that is easy to operate and supports your creative process instead of smothering it. That might mean just having enough mic stands that you don't have to tear down the drum mics when you want to record a guitar part, or it could mean making sure you have things set up properly with a patch bay so you can quickly and effortlessly connect any combination of gear you want to achieve your goal.

But it's vital, IMO, to remember that the point of gear is NOT to get gear. It's to get the gear you need to achieve your goal. The point is supposed to be the music. Yeah, I've got a lot of stuff, but every piece of gear I've bought has been because I thought it would be useful in getting a specific sound on tape (er, hard drive). For example, I recently bought a pair of Cascade Fathead II ribbon mics. I got them specifically because I wanted a set of ribbons I could use as drum room/overhead mics in a mid/side arrangement.

I'm fast approaching the point where, aside from a few more channels of API for the lunchbox, I'm about out of stuff to buy as far as I'm concerned. Because there will always be "one more thing" out there waiting for you to get it, if you let yourself get carried away with it.

• Members

Can't decide. I can either keep saving my moneys and my tax returns and get something like this;

4.jpg

Which I really, REALLY want.

Or buy a cheaper fretless and save up for the Adamovic while learning mroe about fretless. THough that'd set me back like 2ish months at the elast before getting the Adamovic!

Then probably a Bergantino AE4x10 and that should be it for awhile.

Might get Mum to pick me up an Xo Bass Synth while shes in the States actually.

• Members

E&W 6U Amp rack for the Eden and X2 rig

2nd Presonus Blue Tube Dual Path w/rack mount kit

La Bella Slappers for the G&L

Panel pre-punched for NL4 jacks and cables for the PA rack

Panel pre-punched for XLR jacks and cables for the PA rack

Gassin' for:

Allen and Heath GL2400/32 channel mixer

100' 24/12 Reel Snake

Pair of JBL MRX525 cabs

• Members

I was heading down the road at those guys back between 2000-2005. I ended up only playing bass for my projects. No other time to do it. Nor did I have time or energy to write for myself. It was a great experience, but I've been slowly rebuilding my studio and making efforts to keep the gear out of the way of the spiritual exercise of making music. I didn't have my Earthworks pres for my CD Baby project. In fact, the only monitoring I had was my Sony MDR7506's. Everything was done on my outdated Roland 880EX.
:p
But it was successful in that it kept my mind on the craft of my
playing
and my focus on my imagination...rather then being tied down my engineering.

Indeed, my goal at first will be to have a room where I can press two or three buttons and record the band that's jamming in there, or record my ideas on any instrument (I write on bass/drums/g-fiddle/keys).

• Members

Can't decide. I can either keep saving my moneys and my tax returns and get something like this;

4.jpg

Which I really, REALLY want.

Or buy a cheaper fretless and save up for the Adamovic while learning mroe about fretless. THough that'd set me back like 2ish months at the elast before getting the Adamovic!

Then probably a Bergantino AE4x10 and that should be it for awhile.

Might get Mum to pick me up an Xo Bass Synth while shes in the States actually.

whoa , that is a beautiful bass !

Archived