OT: Car Problem

LoC

• Members

Okay so about 3 weeks ago my 2000 Ford Explorer 97,000+ miles started to make a strange, whining sound especially when turning. Also if you turn the wheel hard it sounds like it is dying but there is no noticeable lack of power. You can hear the sound worsen has the engine increases RPM: the more power the more the sound whines loud. So I took it to a repair shop where the mechanic suspected a damaged power steering motor. So he replaced that and the sound went a way a little bit but now it is back. My friend thinks it could be a damaged power train.

Also, I tend to down shift from 2nd to 1st to slow down to avoid using brakes (its an automatic). I have done that for years (or at least months) but have never noticed any problem. And I do not hear any difference in the noise it just seems to be when engine power is increases. In neutral, no difference either. After I got the power steering motor replaced I down shifted a few times then I noticed the sound came back.

I have no car experience whatsoever but I thought it also could be a loose belt but I think that is not it either. Anyway have a clue?!?!!?

• Members

Mine makes a clack-clack-clack-clack sound when turning, either direction, especially on the "release" of the turn, and the frequency is speed dependent with the sound coming from one or both front wheel areas. I'm pretty sure my CV joints are shot, I bet that'll be expensive.

The drainage ditch pipe at the end of my driveway has been slowly heaving up, making for quite a bump, I've whacked the undercarriage on it pretty good several times now, that couldn't've helped.

• Members

Mine makes a clack-clack-clack-clack sound when turning, either direction, especially on the "release" of the turn, and the frequency is speed dependent with the sound coming from one or both front wheel areas. I'm pretty sure my CV joints are shot, I bet that'll be expensive.

The drainage ditch pipe at the end of my driveway has been slowly heaving up, making for quite a bump, I've whacked the undercarriage on it pretty good several times now, that couldn't've helped.

unless its 4wd, it wont have CV joints by design.

• Members

Ermm I took it to a mechanic/car shop. It's more like a one/two person garage.

you might want to go to a shop that specializes in American vehicles or even ::gasp: the dealership:D.

They charge a small fee to figure out what's wrong. Once you know that you can either do the work yourself or shop around to have someone fix it. Chances are that the dealer will be the most expensive route if you have them fix it.

Dan

• Members

I have 4WD.

the million dollar question: do you drive your explorer in 4wd all the time?

i had a 96 limited explorer and when i put it in 4 i couldnt make tight turns without the locked out hubs making some bad grinding sound.

unless you are driving in the snow or the mud drive in 2(rear) wheel drive instead of 4.

• Members

I think it has something to do with the Powersteering pump/belt set up by the original explaination.

it is possible that the PS pump/gearbox that was replaced was remanufactured and defective itself.

there should also be a warranty on the service previously provided

• Members

Well I wouldn't consider him a hack. I mean I don't know much about mechanics or his expertise but to answer an above statement, yes the new power steering pump was remanufactured. Also, I have tried looking up info on the internet but I can not find anything useful so that is why I am posting here.

• Members

Well I wouldn't consider him a hack. I mean I don't know much about mechanics or his expertise but to answer an above statement, yes the new power steering pump was remanufactured. Also, I have tried looking up info on the internet but I can not find anything useful so that is why I am posting here.

Take it back to the guy who repaired it and explain thats the vehicle is doing the same thing. It might be a bad pump or he needs to adjust a few things.

this happens sometimes with moving parts.....

• CMS Author

You brought it to him. You paid him. The problem wasn't completely fixed, and now is as bad as ever. If you consider this to be better value for your money than paying a higher labor rate to have experts fix it, that's your perogative. I'm only making a professional recommendation based on a lot of years in my prior career.

"Replacement diagnosis" is very expensive for you. If the PS pump you paid for was not the problem, will your guy put the old one back in and refund you the repair cost you've paid so far? If course not.

• Members

Thats not true. Front wheel drive vehicles have CV joints by design

I was referring to the part about it being a Ford Explorer? They're RWD, by design. I wasnt making a blanket statement, but responding to someone else's.

Archived