Bridge position and pickup position.

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Now I am pretty sure I am bitting off more than I can chew (and this project will sound like ass when I am done), but when making a bass/guitar I know the bridge has to be in the right spot for the bass to work properly

I am assuming that the distance from the bridge, where the string leaves the saddle, to the 12th fret as the distance from the nut to the 12th fret... Right?

also, for pickup position, is there any set guidelines, or would just basing the position off of other basses suffice?

• Members

Saddle placement needs to accommodate a corrective distance called 'compensation' - .2 inches additional length is usually called for.

Pickup placement is more a matter of whether you want the bass to sound like something you've heard before or not. Only caveat here is that much closer than a standard J pup at the bridge and you'll get diminishing returns as the strings won't move enough to be usefully sensed.

Closer to the bridge in general is brighter, toward the neck is darker.

• Moderators

Saddle placement needs to accommodate a corrective distance called 'compensation' - .2 inches additional length is usually called for.

Pickup placement is more a matter of whether you want the bass to sound like something you've heard before or not. Only caveat here is that much closer than a standard J pup at the bridge and you'll get diminishing returns as the strings won't move enough to be usefully sensed.

Closer to the bridge in general is brighter, toward the neck is darker.

And that about sums it up. Seems simple huh? It's not. ;)

• Members

I looked at stewmac.com, but it was for an acoustic guitar, I imagine its a similar concept.

And that about sums it up. Seems simple huh? It's not.

Man if YOU say that, that gives me almost no hope:thu:

I'm still going for it though (if anything, to say that I tried)

• Members

I looked at stewmac.com, but it was for an acoustic guitar, I imagine its a similar concept.

If you aren't sure go measure a P bass or one that is like what you want.

There is really only two choices; 34" and 35". From what I have read 35" is best for a five or six string.

The 34 3/16" mentioned isn't an exact measurement. You want to be able to adjust the bridge to that length when you're through but the bridge placement will encompass the distances alluded to by Perfessor.

It's why we have adjustable bridges, thankfully.

• Moderators

You can easily locate the bridge with measurements and more measurements and checking your measurements and then cutting.

You can put a pickup anywhere and it will work. You can get tones anywhere you want. To get "the" tone you may be looking for could be a never ending quest or location, pickup type, electronics, etc.

• Moderators

That's right.

The carpenters credo, "Measure twice cut once."

Of course, you can amend twice to thrice.
;)

You can only cut once and you can't unring the bell.

Funny that you would apply that concept to installing hardware on an instrument, but not to taking someone else's life. :idea:

• Members

I think pickup locations are based on, like, harmonic nodes? Or something like that?
:idk::o

You would think - and in a way what we know from a J bass is very nearly one fret's distance from the bridge - but it all shifts the moment you fret any string.

Archived