Have you seen a fretless G&L Tribute before?

Mytola

• Members

Well, yeah. Danny is the guy doing the work. Greg is the guy I'm in contact with. Thanks to both of them is in order, and it seems like they're having a lot of fun with this one as well :)

The fret slots are being filled with wood filler, which is going to be tinted to match the colour of the rosewood, and the fretboard is going to have a couple of coats of Marine Varnish applied to it as well. I think it's going to look and sound really sweet!

Finally a blueburst one... I've been wanting one of those since I saw them, just before I bought my first G&L. :D

• Members

AFAIK G&L do make fretless basses.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/749936063.html
:confused:

Best of luck with the work.
:)

Yep, they do. But the Tribute series are fretted-only. The US series, where you can get the fretless as stock, are a lot more expensive, so I went with a defret of a tribute instead. Total cost of bass, defret, new bone-nut etc is around half of what a US Fretless would be.

• Members

Well, yeah. Danny is the guy doing the work. Greg is the guy I'm in contact with. Thanks to both of them is in order, and it seems like they're having a lot of fun with this one as well
:)

The fret slots are being filled with wood filler
, which is going to be tinted to match the colour of the rosewood, and the fretboard is going to have a couple of coats of Marine Varnish applied to it as well. I think it's going to look and sound really sweet!

Finally a blueburst one... I've been wanting one of those since I saw them, just before I bought my first G&L.
:D

:thu:

• Members

Thanks man. Must have missed that detail. It looks really dark too, so I thought it might be a shim.

Yep, I really wanted a dark look on them, not the usual white/light wood-look. I don't really look at the lines myself anyway. I actually started playing bass on a unlined fretless. :p

• Members

Yep, I really wanted a dark look on them, not the usual white/light wood-look. I don't really look at the lines myself anyway. I actually started playing bass on a unlined fretless.
:p

Nice, can't get a better introduction than that.

I used epoxy to fill my slots with and tinted it with the same triple black tattoo ink that's used on my back piece. I didn't want them visible either.

• Members

Nice, can't get a better introduction than that.

I used epoxy to fill my slots with and tinted it with the same triple black tattoo ink that's used on my back piece. I didn't want them visible either.

Yeah, I saw that bass. That was actually my inspiration for getting the fret slots tinted with dark-ish colour instead of light. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I saw that bass. That was actually my inspiration for getting the fret slots tinted with dark-ish colour instead of light.
:thu:

:thu: Nice. I think yours will one up mine though. I didn't epoxy the board, and slightly wishing i had now. I was worried it would brighten it up some and I wanted the most warm sound that I could pull from it, so I left it as is. That and I am not worried if the board fades at all in places as it's played, the bass is pretty worn in looking as is, so it would add to the vibe.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived