6550's or kt88's help me decide‏

knw

• Members

I got a Sunn Sonaro 68' bass head.

I'm trying to replace my current tubes.

Anyways the tubes that I got in are actually made in the 50' I think they are Western Electric tubes but I have no idea what type they are...there is not much written on them except a production number and the manufacturers name. But I read around and found out that the Sunn Sonaro was shipped with 6550's back in the day.

I've read a lot about this in the past few weeks.

Now I'm undecided between:

Tung-Sol 6550 New Production because apparently they are remakes of the ones made back in the 50's and these are the ones the Sunn S200 were shiped with. Also Russian made.

Sovtek KT88 I'v only read good things about these bad boys. I also like that they are Russian made.

Genalex - Gold Lion KT88 These are a bit pricey but I hear good things about them also. What I need to know how much different are they from the Sovtek ones.

JJ / Tesla KT88 Some people have mixed feelings on these...but they were recommended for a Sunn amps.

I just need some input since some of you probably have much more experience with tone and tubes then I do.

Basically I want Power nice bottom end and mids...over all I want that Awesome Growl that SUNN amps have. My amp sounds clean below 5 volume...but when I turn it up to 7 - 10 it gets this growl that I love...I want the tubes that would make this possible again if not make it even better!!

I'm into doom stoner metal sounding stuff...and tone is very important to me. Check out Buried at Sea they have a really good example of the tone that I like or looking for.

Thanks in Advance.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tryin to replace my power tubes...my tech told me that my tubes are worth a lot and I should only use them in the studio.

Tubes do make a difference I'v had amps retubed before and there is a small difference that I actually care about.

• Members

Sovtek KT88

When I was looking for power tubes, the Tung Sol reissues had just came out. The Sovtek KT88 sold at that point in time were EXACTLY the same tube as the Tung Sol 6550 reissue. Today the Sovtek KT88 has changed slightly... and the TS has remained that same tube. I bought the Sovtek because it was the same tube cheaper... to buy again today I would not hesitate the slightest little bit before ordering the Tung Sol 6550.

I really like the Tung Sol reissie 12AX7 as well.

I have a strong dislike for JJ tubes... but it's mostly unfounded. As much as they are recommended, most times I find it's traced back to the place that imports them into the US. It's kinda like believing Ford is the best cars because the Ford dealer says they are.

• Moderators

I have a strong dislike for JJ tubes... but it's mostly unfounded. As much as they are recommended, most times I find it's traced back to the place that imports them into the US. It's kinda like believing Ford is the best cars because the Ford dealer says they are.

I have a strong dislike for their currently available preamp tubes because I've witnessed a good percentage of them fail straight out of the box or within a month.

• Members

I have a strong dislike for their currently available preamp tubes because I've witnessed a good percentage of them fail straight out of the box or within a month.

yeah, I've heard similar from a couple amp techs... lots of field failure.

That is another reason I avoid them... but I reserved the comment thinking the JJ Disciples would eat me alive :facepalm:

• Moderators

yeah, I've heard similar from a couple amp techs... lots of field failure.

That is another reason I avoid them... but I reserved the comment thinking the JJ Disciples would eat me alive
:facepalm:

Don't worry, the people that actually use them will step up and give the real scoop. I know my experiences with JJ field failure are identical to Guttermouth's. It's pretty obnoxious having 12AX7s going microphonic within a few hours of installation. My favorite part is when I tell people they don't need new tubes, they insist something like the JJs will give them a more "____" tone, they install them and create all sorts of problems. "Why is my amp making all these horrific noises?" A simple swap with a known functioning tube clears up the issue every time.

• Members

I totally say power tubes DO have an effect on tone. 6550s are not KT88s, but my understanding is the two can actually be swapped. Same with 6l6gc and 5881. Not the same thing, but are close enough.

Power Tubes need to be changed relatively frequently (3 years is about all I'll put on a powerful tube like 6550s). After that, I feel that there is a degradation in tone.

• Moderators

Power Tubes need to be changed relatively frequently (3 years is about all I'll put on a powerful tube like 6550s). After that, I feel that there is a degradation in tone.

Thank goodness the cathode doesn't "feel" the same way.

• CMS Author

Yeah, the guys with 30+ year old amps that have been recapped, but still use the original tubes, might have some disagreement.

My saying about audiophiles and double-blind testing may apply to this thread....

• Members

Don't worry, the people that actually use them will step up and give the real scoop. I know my experiences with JJ field failure are identical to Guttermouth's. It's pretty obnoxious having 12AX7s going microphonic within a few hours of installation. My favorite part is when I tell people they don't need new tubes, they insist something like the JJs will give them a more "____" tone, they install them and create all sorts of problems. "Why is my amp making all these horrific noises?" A simple swap with a known functioning tube clears up the issue every time.

+1

jj can kiss my ass.

• Members

So, you don't believe that electrons smashing into the plate has any affect on the sound and that it changes over time? Do you feel that these tubes will last forever and sound the same?

• Members

Yeah, the guys with 30+ year old amps that have been recapped, but still use the original tubes, might have some disagreement.

My saying about audiophiles and double-blind testing may apply to this thread....

I can def. say, without question, that there is a difference in the sound between used and new tubes. I've had many tube amps, and changing tubes always makes a difference in the sound.

Next thing you know, I'll be told that changing strings has no affect on tone, either.

• Moderators

Do you feel that these tubes will last forever and sound the same?

No.

For more of what I believe, see the posts I've written and those of misterhinkydink, guttermouth, bnyswonger, Craigv and James Hart above. Also see my post in the thread re: impeachment. :poke:

• Members

When I worked at the guitar shop, there was this guy who would come in and buy a 4 pack of tubes every other week. We would special order them, he'd mix and match, he'd change his mind, and he never, ever found his "tone".

I asked him if he wanted his worn out tubes anymore, because I'd be happy to take them off his hands. He told me that once he decided he didn't like them, he would just give them to his brother. I bet his brother has a box full of perfectly good tubes, and he's selling them on eBay. Just like I was going to do.:D

C7

Archived