Why are some Fender headstocks darker?

Phantasm

• Members

Well, I got a USA Lakland from '97 recently that has the effect. But what would I ask for if I want that option? "Aged maple?"

yup aged or yellow'd nitro

my 57 ri , crappy pic but I think you can see the yellow'd neck a bit

fender.jpg

• Members

Well, I got a USA Lakland from '97 recently that has the effect. But what would I ask for if I want that option? "Aged maple?"

Depends on where you're getting it from.

If you're speaking with a builder, calling it, "Aged maple like one of those 60's Fenders," will probably get the point across. Something more like "A finish that gives the appearance of forty year-old nitro" is more accurate.

• Members

I have 5 Fender USA basses and 4 Fender USA guitars ranging in years from 1995 to 2006. The 1995 (A P-bass, my only example from that decade) has a headstock with quite an orangy tint to the headstock. With only one exception, the headstocks get more and more pale as they approach that 2006. That one exception is my 02 Jazz bass which has been around the country with me a couple-three times, including more in-bar time than any of my other basses, save the 95 P that I mentioned earlier.

The only thing that I can conclude is that there is some tinting to the 95 P, while there is none to the other headstocks, and the newer the maple, the more pale it seems to be.

:idk:

Archived