OT: Suits

Super_Donut_Man

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On a less jesting note, I have rarely (perhaps never) seen anyone wear a three button with only the second button done...

Not in my time in the corporate world, not in academia, not in new or old Hollywood...

When the Duke of Windsor was dressed like this:

QuinnWindsor02.jpg

And he set "proper" style for decades, it seems hard to think it was a 90s fad...

When are guys going to start wearing hats again. Those old B&W movies were great ... all the guys wore nice hats with their suits.

So, Kindness, King Kashue, et al. What type of hat goes with a charcoal 3-button suit? Fedora? Porkpie? Tophat? Travis? And should it match the belt, shirt, or does it not matter?

• Members

Got to get a new suit really soon for an interview and also a company function. My last one was a dark charcoal colored 3 button. (and we know about 3 button suits from a recent movie)

EDIT: My suit is falling apart this is why I need a new one. The movie reference was a joke.

So I figured that I might try a pinstripe (not a heavy stripe, but more subtle) Yes... No...? Standard Black?

Not looking to drop a ton of cash either. $200 max is what I can afford.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

$200 is all? A good hat is going to cost at least $100 and take a month to make. A nice Antietam is $90. 4 of my 5 hats came from this place.

http://www.clearwaterhats.com/civilwar1.htm

• Moderators

It appears it is and has always been appropriate to wear a three button suit with just the middle button buttoned and that the top button closed comes in and out of style, though is typically worn closed when three button suits are considered to be trendy (for example, the 1990s). My grandpa is dead so I can't ask him about it, but I emailed my current tailor and he told me that although he instructed me and every other one of his clients not to button the top button of his three button coats, it is a matter of stylistic choice, and both are technically appropriate. :idk:

BroM, I know nothing about hats, but would like to learn. I'm planning on spending a good deal of time wearing suits in a building that was the world's largest office building when it was completed in 1893. Something that historic needs to be respected with appropriate fashion.

• Members

I'm planning on spending a good deal of time wearing suits in a building that was the world's largest office building when it was completed in 1893. Something that historic needs to be respected with appropriate fashion.

Let me know what you find out. I'm looking to polish up my image.

:cool:

• Members

I have several suits. Only one is nice, and it's charcoal with really subtle pinstripes. I wore it when I was doing a lot of corporate executive video work, because the crazy rich people like you more if you look nice when you interview them.

I also have several three piece suits that I got at salvation army for under $25. I prefer to wear those, but I can't wear them to funerals or work :(

• Members

So, Kindness, King Kashue,
et al
. What type of hat goes with a charcoal 3-button suit? Fedora? Porkpie? Tophat? Travis? And should it match the belt, shirt, or does it not matter?

The style of hat would depend on what image you wanted to project and isn't so much about the suit itself. You generally want to match fabric color (your belt should work with your suit already, so it shouldn't be hard to work together)...Basically, don't wear a Brown Hat with a blue suit and you're likely good... :D

I can say that to me, top Hats scream "Slash" and are appropriate for little outside of white tie. Most other hats can work depending on Style. The Fedora and the Trilby are quite popular (the latter especially) and are a bit more formal than the Porkpie (though the Trilby has become sort of hip lately, with Justin Timberlake wearing them)...

For a great contemporary example for how to look good in a hat get Homicide: Life on the Street...Grab the DVD from netflix and check out Pembleton and Lewis, they both know how to wear a hat...:thu:

• Members

I'm planning on spending a good deal of time wearing suits in a building that was the world's largest office building when it was completed in 1893. Something that historic needs to be respected with appropriate fashion.

Is that the Merchandise Mart?

What's the word on pocket squares? That's another cool thing that I miss from the B&W movies. A thin rectangular strip of a white handkerchief suggests a quiet but mighty force.

Suits haven't ever impressed me. However, those small things that are done to accent a suit are explosive. A question comes to mind:

Suppose the OP gets the 3-button charcoal suit, a nice white shirt made of Egyptian cotton, and has buttons sewn into the pants to accommodate 100-dollar Trafalgar silk braces?

What is he communicating?

• Members

Suits haven't ever impressed me. However, those small things that are done to accent a suit are explosive. A question comes to mind:

Suppose the OP gets the 3-button charcoal suit, a nice white shirt made of Egyptian cotton, and has buttons sewn into the pants to accommodate 100-dollar Trafalgar silk braces?

It all depends on how he wears it, if someone isn't confident in what they're wearing it shows...

With quiet cool, he'll look stylish with a retro sensibility. If he's just trying to pile on "cool affectations like Bogart", he'll look like a kid playing dress-up...

Are you wearing your clothes, or are your clothes wearing you?...;)

• Moderators

The braces are graciously accepted in some locales and not so much in others. There is not a lot of local love for braces.

• Members

The style of hat would depend on what image you wanted to project and isn't so much about the suit itself. You generally want to match fabric color (your belt should work with your suit already, so it shouldn't be hard to work together)...Basically, don't wear a Brown Hat with a blue suit and you're likely good...
:D

Charcoal suit

Burgundy belt

Yellow shirt

Necktie brings all the colors together.

Shoes = ?

Hat = ?

(No wingtip shoes! My Three Sons = NO MAS!)

• Members

It all depends on how he wears it, if someone isn't confident in what they're wearing it shows...

With quiet cool, he'll look stylish with a retro sensibility. If he's just trying to pile on "cool affectations like Bogart", he'll look like a kid playing dress-up...

Are you wearing your clothes, or are your clothes wearing you?...
;)

I definitely dig where you're coming from. Being contrived is far from being comfortable and stylish.

• Members

Go with a light charcoal gray suit.

Three button jacket.

No pleats or cuffs on the trousers.

White shirt.

Tie to suit---red or blue stripe, or a pattern that suits the image you want to project.

Good luck.
:wave:

I've understood that a suit without cuffs in the pants is a 22-karat goof. Am I wrong??

• Members

I've understood that a suit without cuffs in the pants is a 22-karat goof. Am I wrong??

It depends on the corporate culture. If the head suits are wearing cuffed pants, follow their lead.

BTW---You, Sir, have excellent taste in hats. :thu:

• Members

I heard a rumor once that was probably completely wrong:

Two button = pleats/cuffs.

Three button = no pleats/no cuffs.

I feel that three button might be the way to go, but I'm an ignorant monkey who doesn't know any better.

Mix and match with jackets and slacks generates more "clean" options, especially if you're over the pleated and cuffed look like I am.

• Members

It depends on the corporate culture. If the head suits are wearing cuffed pants, follow their lead.

BTW---You, Sir, have excellent taste in hats.
:thu:

Thank you.

You reminded me of a funny story.

I was walking down a sidewalk and a policewoman was staring at me. I felt queasey and wondered which of my many transgressions finally caught up with me?

As I passed her our eyes met and she said "nice hat." Ah! She was referring to my Travis. http://www.clearwaterhats.com/oldwest3.htm

• Members

Two button = pleats/cuffs.

Three button = no pleats/no cuffs.

For these reasons, I feel that three button is the way to go.

Mix and match with jackets and slacks generates more "clean" options, especially if you're over the pleated and cuffed look like I am.

Pleats never were a big deal. I really do like cuffs. Non-cuffed pants seem casual to me.

• Members

$200 is all? A good hat is going to cost at least $100 and take a month to make. A nice Antietam is $90. 4 of my 5 hats came from this place.

I look goofy... I mean really goofy with hats on, so I will (reluctantly) have to pass. I would and have tried to find a hat that suits my dome.

$200 is all about what I can/want to afford. I have seen some "decent" looking suits for around this. I am not made of money by no means.

• Members

I have a hard time taking anyone wearing a bow tie seriously, apart from someone wearing a tuxedo.

Definitely not a butterfly bowtie. But, a nice crisp shirt and a thin bowtie??? Cool! :cool:

But I think a bowtie can be interpreted too many ways. I definitely wouldn't wear one on a interview.

• Members

But I think a bowtie can be interpreted too many ways. I definitely wouldn't wear one on a interview.

Unfortunately, to many folks, a black dude + a bow tie = Farrakhan associations...

At the very least you're likely to get a "wow, dork with a bow tie" reaction...You've got to be a styling mofo to pull off a bow tie outside of black/white tie...

Here's another piece of advice for folks who only want one suit and want it to be nice (and are likely to stay the same size): Go to a bespoke tailor and have a suit made for you. It will cost more, but the difference between off-the-rack then tailored and custom-made can be significant...

Archived