Batman- The Dark Knight

RIC N BACKER

• Members

I may get flack for this but I thought the movie was horrible with the exception of Ledger. I don't agree that he deserves an Oscar for the performance though. It's interesting what his take vs. Jack's take on it was though and I thought he brought something new and very creepy to the table.

Dan

No flack from me, but I'm genuinely curious about your hate for the movie.

I had quite a few gripes, but they ended up being small things. It was one of the better films I've seen in the past year, especially because it was able to delve into some darker themes without losing its sheer entertainment value.

• Members

There was very little character development for me, I thought Bale was atrocious in the movie personally; he brought nothing new to the character and his growly voice was just incredibly dumb. I just thought they bit off more than they could chew with this one. Too much story, too many different directions, a bit too dark (for me), and the fight scenes were almost indistinguishable as it was shot in such low light. I really didn't enjoy anything about the movie, especially the length. I was actually checking my watch. And to be honest I absolutely loved the first flick and was really looking forward to this one but I left the theatre thinking; lame.

I found myself watching Hancock twice and enjoyed the {censored} out of it. I know some people hated it but I really loved it. A truly unique hero movie. So take my thoughts for what they are worth:D

Dan

• Members

No worries. I actually hated Bale's gravelly Batman voice in both films (I also read it was added in post). I personally think he's one of the most talented actors of this generation, so I guess I'm a bit biased ;)

One of my professors (apparently the most quoted faculty member in the US or something like that) said he could probably teach an entire class about the movie, but it still comes down to being a movie about a guy who dresses up like a giant bat. I agreed.

• Members
No worries. I actually hated Bale's gravelly Batman voice in both films (I also read it was added in post). I personally think he's one of the most talented actors of this generation, so I guess I'm a bit biased
;)

One of my professors (apparently the most quoted faculty member in the US or something like that) said he could probably teach an entire class about the movie, but it still comes down to being a movie about a guy who dresses up like a giant bat. I agreed.

I'm no comic geek, and I also love Bale in just about everything...but I just didn't care for it. I'm sure I'm missing some important undercurrent storyline but what are you gonna do:D

Dan

• Members

I hate Christian Bale in everything except the bat suit. Seriously, when he's got the mask on, I forget what a smug looking {censored} he is and I can appreciate the movie.

Say what you will (and I admit, Bale comes off like an asshole in interviews, etc. He may well be an egomaniacal prick for all I know), but Christian Bale is a Top Drawer actor. He does a great job in Rescue Dawn (though Steve Zahn was even better...killer performance) and American Psycho. And while I know it gets a lot of hate, I really dig The Prestige.

But the movie that sold me on Bale is The Machinist. Small, indie, low-budge film about a man who is mentally and physically dissolving. Bale looks as if he lost 70 pounds for the role. He looks so frighteningly thin, in fact, that I think they must have had medics on hand to monitor his health. He looks as if he is going to drop at any moment. Good acting job, pretty cool movie for fans of films like Memento.

BTW, I just saw Dark Knight last week, but it was at a drive in and I didn't really get to take it in as deeply as I'd have liked to. I need to see it again. But Ledger absolutely reinvented the Joker. Not easy with such an iconic character. Excellent. RIP.

• Members

frank_gorshin_riddler1.jpg

Frank Gorshin {censored}ing RULES.

I always thought on the old Adam West Batman TV show that Gorshin should have been the Joker instead of Romero. I like Caesar Romero and all, but he was older and not as spry and besides, Gorshin was just so damned manic as Riddler. He made a great Riddler, but would have been even better as the Joker. IMO.

• Members

I mean, they're both Batman movies, but Ledger went for a much different Joker than Nicholson did. Both awesome.

I'm as big a Jack Nicholson fan as anybody, but overall I wasn't as happy with his Joker. I think it was more the movie itself I didn't care for. Nicholson was great in the more sinister parts, but they made him a little too goofy/silly at times. That whole scene where he dons a beret and he and his gang deface a bunch of art while pumping out some Prince song on their jambox...stoooo-pid.

• Members

i finally saw it the other night and i absolutely loved it.

a bit long, but other than that i can't fault a thing.

i just dont understand how one would like it if they aren't a fan of the comic book.

theres just so much more to appreciate if you actually know the backstory to everything.

but man, that is one good movie.

• Members

Frank Gorshin {censored}ing RULES.

I always thought on the old Adam West Batman TV show that Gorshin should have been the Joker instead of Romero. I like Caesar Romero and all, but he was older and not as spry and besides, Gorshin was just so damned manic as Riddler. He made a great Riddler, but would have been even better as the Joker. IMO.

I am not sure about him being the Joker but if he was I am sure Gorshin would have done great.

I thought Romeros laugh was awesome for his role as Joker

Gorshin was great as the Riddler even though if you think back that show was chessey....

• Members

I'm as big a Jack Nicholson fan as anybody, but overall I wasn't as happy with his Joker. I think it was more the movie itself I didn't care for. Nicholson was great in the more sinister parts, but they made him a little too goofy/silly at times. That whole scene where he dons a beret and he and his gang deface a bunch of art while pumping out some Prince song on their jambox...
stoooo
-pid.

I agree but Like Brake pointed out those movies were more like the 60's tv show or comics that serious drama

• Members

The {censored}ing Batman voice what {censored}ing ridiculous. Who thought that was a good idea?

That's my only bitch about the movie, it was totally kick ass otherwise.

You'd think that he could have just used a low radio type voice and through the wonders of modern audio engineering, they could have overdubbed it and made it sound cool.

Archived