Learning/playing/buying an upright bass

The Keester

• Members

Ive been playing electric bass for sometime now and im very intrigued by upright bass like in the old elvis songs and even some rockabilly.

i looked online and saw some cheaper 3/4 scale and smaller models. will these give me a similar tone?

is upright bass very hard to learn and play?

thanks

• Members

If you're already an electric bass player, you've got a leg up in that you know how bass lines are constructed and how it's tuned. Bonus points if you play fretless.

Otherwise, it's a very different animal. Cheap basses are not necessarily bad, but you would be wise to hook up with someone who plays upright to help find a winner.

• Members

Ive been playing electric bass for sometime now and im very intrigued by upright bass like in the old elvis songs and even some rockabilly.

Old Elvis songs are Rockabilly. Rockabilly is basically rock and roll with an upright. Sometimes there's a touch of country like Johnny Cash and sometimes it's flat out punk like Vince Taylor.

i looked online and saw some cheaper 3/4 scale and smaller models. will these give me a similar tone?

is upright bass very hard to learn and play?

thanks

Here is Paul McCartney with Bill Black's bass and it appears to me that it is 3/4 bass. Sooo, yes you can certainly play Rockabilly on 3/4. The cheaper ones will give you a similar tone, but they are harder to play.

[YOUTUBE]3uzC5KC_260[/YOUTUBE]

Upright is easy as heck.... once you get past all the bleeding. ;)

• Members

Most uprights are 3/4 scale. I'm not sure where the terminology came from, but "full-size" uprights are rare.

"Full size" uprights were for orchestral use... their acoustic sound needed to keep with the volume of the entire orchestra.

3/4 is now the industry standard.

Archived