Ampeg SVT III - Clipping Issue

Bassjunkie99

• Members

I recently bought an Ampeg SVT III (orginal, non pro version, ~93 model). It's the single channel, rack mountable version. I have been very happy with the sound, but I need some advice on getting the most of out it.

I'm running it with a Hartke 4-10T 8 ohm cab w/ aluminum drivers

The SVT III is rated at 300 Watts @ 8ohms / 200 Watts @ 4 ohms

When I approach anywhere near the half way mark for the volume, the clip light blinks pretty frequently. I don't want to cause damage to my gear, or compromise my tone. The problem is I really need that stage volume! :mad:

If I got a 4ohm cabiniet in place of the Hartke, will there be any noticeable gain in output, since I'd be getting the full 300W as opposed to the 200W I'm getting while pushing an 8ohm cabinet? I guess my other option would be an additional power amp / conditioner, but this old beast is pretty heavy already and coupling it with additional gear in a rack would not be so transport-friendly. Any insight would be much appreciated

• Members

My SVT 3 Pro really rocks with my 8 ohm 4x10...Granted my cab is not a Hartke.... I have a custom LDS cab loaded with Eminence Neo Deltas...Anyway... I did a side by side comparison with a 4 ohm Aquilar 4 x 10cab at my local shop to see if the extra power I'd get running a 4 ohm cab would make a big difference... I was shocked at how little the difference was between the 2 cabs...Almost no difference at all... Are you running your amp with the -15 db "active" button pushed in ?

• Members

If I got a 4ohm cabiniet in place of the Hartke, will there be any noticeable gain in output, since I'd be getting the full 300W as opposed to the 200W I'm getting while pushing an 8ohm cabinet?

You could probably do better than the Hartke cab. It would be ideal if you could borrow a cab from somebody for a night.

• Members

I realize the Hartke cabinet is not going to be ideal for getting the best sound out of head, but are you guys saying that I may actually achieve greater volumes from a better suited cab as well, or am I just reaching the limits of what this head can do?

. Are you running your amp with the -15 db "active" button pushed in ?

yes, it's necessary to get to my desired stage volume and the eq boost is nearly maxed out

• Members

I recently bought an Ampeg SVT III (orginal, non pro version, ~93 model). It's the single channel, rack mountable version. I have been very happy with the sound, but I need some advice on getting the most of out it.

I'm running it with a Hartke 4-10T 8 ohm cab w/ aluminum drivers

The SVT III is rated at 300 Watts @ 8ohms / 200 Watts @ 4 ohms

When I approach anywhere near the half way mark for the volume, the clip light blinks pretty frequently. I don't want to cause damage to my gear, or compromise my tone. The problem is I really need that stage volume!
:mad:

Are you using a bass with active electronics/onboard preamp, or any outboard effects that are boosting your gain?

If so, you may want to engage the input attenuator switch (-15db) - if you have a device with a good VU meter handy, go ahead and check your signal level with it.

• Members

are you guys saying that I may actually achieve greater volumes from a better suited cab as well, or am I just reaching the limits of what this head can do?

Without doing a side by side comparison, it's hard for me to say...but it's certainly possible. Others can explain it much better than I can.

Read this

• Members

yes, it's necessary to get to my desired stage volume and the eq boost is nearly maxed out

Here's your problem, I think.

Depending on the way this control affects the gain staging of the amp, boosting it to full may be causing the clipping you're experiencing. Turn it down to flat and then see whether that affects the clipping behavior.

Also, how do you have your EQ set?

• Members

Here's your problem, I think.

Depending on the way this control affects the gain staging of the amp, boosting it to full may be causing the clipping you're experiencing. Turn it down to flat and then see whether that affects the clipping behavior.

Also, how do you have your EQ set?

+10000000.

There's your issue....

• Members

I realize the Hartke cabinet is not going to be ideal for getting the best sound out of head, but are you guys saying that I may actually achieve greater volumes from a better suited cab as well, or am I just reaching the limits of what this head can do?

I had one of those SVT-IIIs for years, they're a good amp. Turn down your bass boost, flatten your EQ and learn to use a reasonable stage volume.

Archived