Mesa M-Pulse 600 vs Walkabout

anthony

• Members

So my band picked up a Used mesa M-pulse Venture 2X10 600w combo from GC for our bassists. It was phenomenal for 2 practices then the speakers went bad or maybe the head was screwing up, I checked the tubes and then took it back for a refund. Anyhow that is the tone our bassist and I want. Now I'm wonderin can we get it out of a walkabout. Don't see many used Mpulse 600s out there but there are quite a few walkabouts available and they're a bit less $$. Anyone's experience both these amps and have advice.

• Members

Having played both, you won't get particularly close to the tone of the Venture with the Walkabout. They're not similar in terms of speaker configuration, power, or cabinet design, and the Walkabout probably won't approach the volume of the Venture.

• Moderators

I own both the Walkabout AND the M-Pulse 600, which gets played through a 212 cab. Firstly, if you bought the amp from a Mesa dealer that has an on-site tech, whether the amp was new or used, if it had a transferrable warranty, it should have just gotten fixed. Especially if it's the tone the player is looking for.

82daion is fairly close in his assessment of the difference. As for tonal comparison, you may like the tonal response of the Walkabout in the 15" version, but it won't have the sheer meat of the 600. The Walkabout is also a bit more responsive dynamically and IMHO breaks up a bit quicker (not as clean at higher gain settings) than the M-Pulse. The M-Pulse is a bit more toward the buttery smooth end, while the Walkabout has a touch more aggression. Also, the M-Pulse is a 600 watter, while the Walkabout is 300. The M-Pulse/Venture has footswitchable mute, solo, compression and FX loop. There are no footswitch options for the Walkabout.

• Members

I own both the Walkabout AND the M-Pulse 600, which gets played through a 212 cab. Firstly, if you bought the amp from a Mesa dealer that has an on-site tech, whether the amp was new or used, if it had a transferrable warranty, it should have just gotten fixed. Especially if it's the tone the player is looking for.

82daion is fairly close in his assessment of the difference. As for tonal comparison, you may like the tonal response of the Walkabout in the 15" version, but it won't have the sheer meat of the 600. The Walkabout is also a bit more responsive dynamically and IMHO breaks up a bit quicker (not as clean at higher gain settings) than the M-Pulse. The M-Pulse is a bit more toward the buttery smooth end, while the Walkabout has a touch more aggression. Also, the M-Pulse is a 600 watter, while the Walkabout is 300. The M-Pulse/Venture has footswitchable mute, solo, compression and FX loop. There are no footswitch options for the Walkabout.

Damn,Thud!!! All I can add besides everything said in the above posts is dead on,is that the Venture weighs in about double.(or at least it seems that way).

• Members

thanks, I think we're goin to hold out for a used M-pulse head or venture combo. The one I took back to Guitar Center was supposedly going to go out to be fixed. They told me it'd be atleast a month so I wanted the ability to play the field a bit incase a better deal came along.

Archived