9/11

fretless

• Members

We spent all of Us History today talking about this. It was amazing the {censored} some of the kids said. No respect and just plain ignorance. We watched a video of the news that was happening at the time. At 9:15 we were watching the news from 9:15 seven years ago. I still remember the principal coming into our class and explaining what happened that day. I was too young to understand what any of it meant.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, it was in the first couple weeks of eighth grade. I was just getting ready to take a math test when the teacher stepped out for a minute, stepped back in, and said, "Some things are more important than math-a plane just hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon." Someone wheeled in a TV, and the class just sat and watched, silently. I took notes on what was happening, as a coping device, I guess. After both towers came down, I remember feeling numb, and I felt numb for days after. It was surreal.

Like Ralph said, it was a beautiful early fall day, just like today here.

I'll never forget it-it's the defining moment of my generation, and the changes it brought about will be affecting my life all the way through.

RIP to all who lost their lives that day.

• Members

I remember watching the coverage early and seeing the second plane hit the WTC. The reporters didn't know what to say as you could tell they were processing and figuring out that it was an attack rather than an accident as they first thought. I just got up, went out and lowered the flag to half mast.

WASHINGTON

• CMS Author

My dad was a tin-knocker, and helped build the towers and the support buildings. He had passed away the January before. In some ways I'm glad he didn't have to see what happened.

I've been in both towers, been to the top, and stayed at the Marriott Hotel there. I often walked through the PATH and subway station and shopped the stores in the basement levels while on my way to business meetings at Chase.

A family friend worked there. He was missing for many hours, and turned up, finally, at the collection point across the river. He is now in Iraq serving, I'm guessing, his third tour as Reservist called up.

Of all the terrible things I saw and heard that day, nothing affected me quite as much as a live TV shot of a little girl holding up a picture marked in crayon, "Have you seen my daddy?".

• Members

I can't forget anything about that day.

RIP all those who were lost.

The company I work for designed and installed some of the fire doors that were in the Pentagon. Our doors were responsible for saving many lives that day. In the front lobby of our offices, we have an American Flag displayed that was flying at the Pentagon that day. Framed with it is a letter from the President personally thanking our company for helping to save so many people.

Here is a little story from a 4 star General. He was sitting in his office in the Pentagon when he heard a huge crash and felt some rumbling. He went out in the corridor to see what was going on and all he saw was a huge fireball coming down the hallway. He tells us that he just turned around and bowed his head because he knew that this was the end. Fortunately, it wasn't the end. Our doors are normally stored hidden away and they only close in case of fire or other emergency. Our door closed next to this General just in time to save his life and many others that were working in that part of the building.

I did not work for the company at that time, but I'm proud to be part of an organization that did some good that day. Hopefully, we'll never have that chance again.

• Members

I was at work (Aerospace company) when the first AC hit.

We all saw the video and immediately knew that it was no "small" AC that hit the first tower. (way too much damage!)

We all knew that it was something very big and very bad. One of our guys was an ex-air traffic controller who knew clearance would never be granted to fly that low over NYC. We all hoped it was some kind of freak accident.

When the second AC hit there was a collective "oh sh#t!" moment when we knew things would never be the same.

We had co-workers scattered all over the country (and globe). They finally made it back home about a week later.

This world has become a a very strange place.

PD

• Members

I'm still really mad about it.

I was asleep because I had worked until 3am that morning, and my phone started ringing. And ringing. And ringing. After 15 minutes of it I decided that it was probably something important, so I got up and answered it. It was my mother, and she was hysterical. Both planes had already hit.

I was 22. I just sat in my basement and watched the news coverage until I had to go to work at 4pm.

I worked in a sports bar that hosted the Littleton, CO fire dept. and police dept. union meetings. They convened that night at our place, and they all sat silently watching the big screens, with the planes hitting over and over and over again. I served them free scotch all night, and my fellow staff and I paid the tab...

I can't help but get that fire inside every time I see the footage.
C7

• Members

i still have no words. The ideological motivation is what gets me. Don't bring your violence into our peace to make a point, we've built our foundation on peace and work to keep that so.

I mourned for those lost, I wept for those longing for reuniting, I took arms to keep mine safe at home. Bless those affected, grant them strength seven years later, carry them through to reunite in another world when that time comes.

• Members

I was getting ready to go to work and I can still see/feel the bright, cloudless beautiful day in upsate NY. Then I see the second plane, live on the tube, crashing into the tower and the tower explode.

What got me the most was the sorrow and horror I felt when seeing those helpless people jumping from the upper floors.

And then came the anger felt toward people on this forum (I was a noob) who either suggested or came right out and said we had it coming and some how deserved it.

• Members

Have any of you heard the recording of the Bruce Springstein song with the voice overs of the first responders and 911 calls edited in? I heard it yesterday afternoon. Really choked me up! I can't believe after 7 years how emotional it still makes me.

As we in the USA grieved, the rest of the world greived with us. I heard a story yesterday af an American citizen who was in Paris during the attack. While at lunch at a restaurant all the parisians who were there offered thier condolences and many wanted to buy his lunch.

There were those however who celebrated it in the streets.

• Members

Believe that. How far away were you?

C7

I was safely just over a mile away. I didn't see the planes hit, but I saw the buildings go down.

Imagine watching this and having no access to a telephone (all lines, landlines and cell, were done) and no TV (who has one in their office?). We didn't know what was going on or if there were more planes. Couldn't go home because the subway was out. Our internet was working, so we were getting updates via IM for out-of-state friends with TV.

BTW, 9/11 is now just a normal day of work in NYC. Quite a few people forgot it was 9/11. Life goes on. I used to work in the new WTC7 with a great view of the pit.

• Members

BTW, 9/11 is now just a normal day of work in NYC. Quite a few people forgot it was 9/11. Life goes on. I used to work in the new WTC7 with a great view of the pit.

That's hard to imagine but I know it to be true. I think, sadly, it is normal. Not bad....just normal.

I was watching an well done documentary a few weeks ago about Hiroshima, Japan. It was a horrific event in human history and there were photos and film clips I had not seen before.

The last part of the program they were stopping young people on the streets of Hiroshima, which is now a vibrant city, and asking them if they knew the significance of the day (it was an anniversary of the blast). None of the young people had any idea. It was sad but those events do get relegated to the history books except by those who were directly affected by the trauma. They will remember always.

I can't imagine being there but I know how it has changed my life.

Archived