Magnetic bracelets

Derek5272

• Members

horse hockey or not, i had an older friend who kept magnets in his pocket all the time and he claimed they did him some good. when they came out with the magnetic bracelet he started wearing and swore that it helped him. i had knee pain from a bad accident back in 1985 so i tried the magnetic bracelet. it may have just been phsycological or it may really be something scientific about it, but my knee does not bother me now. i have been wearing one for about 12 years or so now.

it has never interfered with my bass or bass playing.

and i do not play any alter bridge covers.

• Members

Magnetic fields from a little bracelet are far too weak to have any effect on the rather small amount of iron in blood. Hell, not even an MRI machine which has a magnetic field strong enough to suck up a metal chair from across the room exactly causes blood to go haywire in the body. In fact, it depends on it not affecting bloodflow much itself, since the primary purposes of functional MRI is to actually measure blood (in particular oxygenated blood) levels differences in very small scales such as between different regions of the brain.

If these things actually worked, I'd eat my hat! I'd stick to the classics, like good diet, adequate levels of sleep and exercise.

As for the pickups, on your picking hand they probably would interfere at least slightly if close enough. Fretting hand you would be fine I think. It depends on how strong they are.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

I don't mean to sound like a dick about it, but I haven't seen any proof that magnets do anything positive for you in the health department. If they did, wouldn't you think that a pair of studio cans would help relieve headaches or something along those lines? I'm not a scientist but I've still got to have proof before I believe something as true.

• Members

horse hockey or not, i had an older friend who kept magnets in his pocket all the time and he claimed they did him some good. when they came out with the magnetic bracelet he started wearing and swore that it helped him. i had knee pain from a bad accident back in 1985 so i tried the magnetic bracelet. it may have just been phsycological or it may really be something scientific about it, but my knee does not bother me now. i have been wearing one for about 12 years or so now.

it has never interfered with my bass or bass playing.

and i do not play any alter bridge covers.

the pain went to your ass where they sucked the $23 out of:facepalm:

• Members

My mom's neurologist ordered one for her fractured vertebrae that is slow to heal, but her insurance wouldn't pay for it - $5000.

He doesn't seem to be a quack selling snake oil.

I don't know him personally but all I've heard about him so far is that he recommended magnet therapy. I would be looking for a new doctor immediately following that appointment.

• Members

I do not believe the magnetic or "ionized" braclets do anything, mostly because no one seems to be able to explain exactly how they work. They just give me some bull{censored} answer like "it helps balance your positive and negative energy".

So for those who believe these things work, please explain to me how they work. Be as detailed as you can.

• Members

I don't know him personally but all I've heard about him so far is that he recommended magnet therapy. I would be looking for a new doctor immediately following that appointment.

Exactly.

It will not be long before magnetic therapy is covered by state insurance mandates along with aromatherapy and countless other bull{censored} treatments. This is where I have a real problem with snake oil. I know it's bull{censored}, but I have no problem with some one else spending their money on it if it makes them feel good. I have a big {censored}ing problem with state legislators forcing me to pay for snake oil treatments for others though insurance mandates.

• Members

I have to take her to the doctor next week. I'll ask questions.

Please do, man, I'm not trying to knock her doctor or anything, but ask as many questions about it as you can. If it's something she is seriously looking into and you get a single "well, I will have to look into that.." from the MD, start looking for a new guy.

Again, sorry if it seems like I'm bashing her choice of doctor as it's not my intention at all, but I would want to make damn sure any treatment I shelled out 5 large for was legitimate and would work as described.

• Members

the pain went to your ass where they sucked the $23 out of:facepalm:

$23.00 might be a problem for someone like you to shell up, but not a problem for me. whether it has any scientific reasoning for working or whether it is just a mind over matter thing, i could care less. just glad my knee feels better.

Archived