How long can you hold a note for?

grace_slick

• Members

I'm curious to see how long I can do this sort of stuff for, but sound silly recording it and putting it on here. lol.

I've done the alphabet test, and got through one full alphabet and round to the second letter U before cutting out due to lack of air. (singing/saying each letter in the timing of about 2/3 of a second)

I did a hold a normal fairly quiet note test, and got to 36 seconds...then I did a higher pitched almost alarm-type long note (not very pleasant to listen to! lol) and got 42 seconds before I cut out. Then I did a random note singing thing that had fairly high notes in it but different ones and some with vibrato and stuff, and that lasted for just over 40 seconds, I think. Is that longish or do I suck?

How long can you hold your notes for?

Some of my held note experiments...lol (and yes, I'm aware neither of these are strong belting notes. I am too scared to do that here, as I do have neighbours. lol)

http://www.box.net/shared/8r7u2m26gl

http://www.box.net/shared/b44eb2flsc

• Members

I'm curious to see how long I can do this sort of stuff for, but sound silly recording it and putting it on here. lol.

I've done the alphabet test, and got through one full alphabet and round to the second letter U before cutting out due to lack of air. (singing/saying each letter in the timing of about 2/3 of a second)

I did a hold a normal fairly quiet note test, and got to 36 seconds...then I did a higher pitched almost alarm-type long note (not very pleasant to listen to! lol) and got 42 seconds before I cut out. Then I did a random note singing thing that had fairly high notes in it but different ones and some with vibrato and stuff, and that lasted for just over 40 seconds, I think. Is that longish or do I suck?

How long can you hold your notes for?

Some of my held note experiments...lol (and yes, I'm aware neither of these are strong belting notes. I am too scared to do that here, as I do have neighbours. lol)

Regarding your post on breathing, If you are able to hold out notes for that long, then I would say you don't have a breathing problem. Most people who are breathing incorrectly wouldn't last more than 10 seconds, because they would have pushed all their air out about halfway through and then been struggling to force that last bit of air out that they could.

• Members

Just tried, and I could hold a mid-strong headvoice A5 for 1 minute and 6 seconds. I have no idea if that's good or bad, I've never really practised breathing. I know how to do it, that's it.

Honestly it really did make me chip for air in the end, so I guess about 45-50 seconds would be what I could go for in a song.

• Members

I'm not sure that there's really a whole lot of need to hold a note for more than 15 or 20 seconds in most of the songs I would do.

Unless I ever decide to do a cover of Weird Al Yankovic singing the title song to "Spy Hard".

After holding a high note for about 45 seconds his head explodes.

• Members

I just tried and got about 43 sec...I guess if I really focused I could hold it longer......but that was a D5 or something...lower notes I can hold much less. lol

Wow! You must be a human Kompressor! LOL

Either that or you're whispering some inteligible, unusable stuff...

• Members

Wow! You must be a human Kompressor! LOL

Either that or you're whispering some inteligible, unusable stuff...

Uhh no, it was a semi loud head voice note. I can record it if you like. I don't think it's anything special though, lol.

• Members

Uhh no, it was a semi loud head voice note. I can record it if you like. I don't think it's anything special though, lol.

Sounds like a lot of air space, plus incredible breath support. You don't have to record it , unless it's worth of the Guiness book of records... is it?

Archived