forgot how much I hate smoke

poomwah

• Members

I went to a buddy's house saturday night to jam. He's a drummer. Anyway, my strap STILL reeks of cigarette smoke. I didnt miss that.

I did however have a great time jamming with him , and we had a potential guitarist over. We did a lot of brainstorming making out a tentative set list of things we thing will go over well but arent' over played.

I also got to try out the new hartke with the peavey, it sounded pretty good. But then I plugged the yamaha in, started playing and ALL or our jaws dropped. That was the first time I got to put it through its paces since I got it, and the tone was absolutely incredible. It has replaced the thunderbird as my "go to" bass

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so glad smoking was BANNED from clubs in IL. I go see bands all the time and now I don't stink when I get home. My lungs are better and I think my skin is better too, less poison to sweat out.

What Yamaha are you talking about? What Hartke amp?

Luckily they banned smoking in clubs here in ohio too, unfortunately my drummer and his wife are smoking fiends.

the amp is a hartke 3500, picked it up from a buddy for 50 bucks with the stipulation that if i ever get rid of it it goes back to him. Only paid 10 so far and he's not in a hurry for the rest, LOL. His band went with floor pods and in ear monitors , so he had no use for it, especially since it was his backup anyway.

the yamaha is my metallic orange BB414. Funniest thing, last time I jammed with the guy, he had a different kit. I showed up saturday and he had a brand new yamaha kit, black with ORANGE stripes, the SAME exact orange on my bass. it was too weird, but very cool at the same time :]

• Members

I went to a buddy's house saturday night to jam. He's a drummer. Anyway, my strap STILL reeks of cigarette smoke. I didnt miss that.

I did however have a great time jamming with him , and we had a potential guitarist over. We did a lot of brainstorming making out a tentative set list of things we thing will go over well but arent' over played.

I also got to try out the new hartke with the peavey, it sounded pretty good. But then I plugged the yamaha in, started playing and ALL or our jaws dropped. That was the first time I got to put it through its paces since I got it, and the tone was absolutely incredible. It has replaced the thunderbird as my "go to" bass

What Yammy?

You're having some smoke problems this week aren't ya?

I agree, I hate the smell of stale tobacco smoke on me or my stuff.

• Members

Cool bass! Yeah I guess telling them not to smoke in their own house wouldn't quite wash...

Maybe you should load up on bean burritos and apple juice before practice so you can negotiate a truce! Puff... RIP!! Puff... RIP!!

Shirley the drummer will give up in the face on your superior chemical arsenal!!

• Members

When I 1st started Shovelhead, the singer, guitard, and drummer all smoked like chimneys - one by one, they all ended up being replaced - I swear the smoking had nothing to do with it, though(atleast directly) - and now all 3 of their replacements dip, but don't smoke... For this non-smoker, rehearsals are much more comfortable...

The 1st guitard's departure was partially smoking related - he screwed up a sweet gig: atleast once a month on fridays, from 6-9pm - $500, for playing outdoors in downtown Syracuse... We opened there the week before, and crushed the headliner so bad that the owner gave me his cellphone # and ended up booking us as a sole act the following week... The following week, said guitard cranked his halfstack SO loud that even on a riser, our drummer was like someone put a "mute" button on him - I could see him hitting the drums, but couldn't hear him AT ALL - and this guy's a pounder... So, I turned up atleast enough to be able to hear myself, which forced the soundguy to take both of us off the board, which screwed with the drummer's IEM mix... We got the volume under control after the 1st set, but the damage was done - Our set sucked in front of about 200 people, and the bar lost the ability to have outdoor concerts, so there went a cake gig for everyone, including us, obviously...

Here's where the smoking came into it: because it was our 1st outdoor gig, he was able to smoke, and did - problem is, he was fiddle-{censored}ing around with smokes when he was supposed to be playing - between songs, so that he wasn't prepared to start the next song, and even during songs... I wouldn't have cared, except that he was screwing up while doing this - and in a one guitar band, there isn't much room for error... When I brought this up to him a day later, his reply was that if he could smoke, he was going to - regardless of the consequences... That combined with him lying right to my face about his volume issue brought me to the conclusion that atleast he and I were done working together - so I gave the other 2 members the "one of us is going" deal, and they decided he was leaving...

BTW, it wasn't just that gig that did the guitard in - there were a host of other issues as well... The drummer that smoked was a great guy, but ended up giving his notice because he wanted to join a blues/R&B group - and the smoking singer smoked his voice into oblivion - between constantly smoking either weed or cigs, he ruined what was once a very good voice...

- georgestrings

• Members

Nice!
:thu:

I voted against the ban. It's just another infringement on the personal rights of all. More government intervention, {censored}ing dolts.

Although I didn't have the opportunity to vote against a ban, I would've - even though it greatly benefitted me... I don't believe it's .gov's place to tell private business that they can't allow smoking in their building, should they decide to...

- georgestrings

• Members

Although I didn't have the opportunity to vote against a ban, I would've - even though it greatly benefitted me... I don't believe it's .gov's place to tell private business that they can't allow smoking in their building, should they decide to...

- georgestrings

Exactly, let the small business owner make the decision. As less and less people smoke the more places that would have gone smoke free. But the Nazis wouldn't have it that way. Many people don't see it as another infringement, poor slobs.

• Members

Although I'm a non smoker and I'm thankful they did it, I also agree that in a bar or club situation it should be the owners call. Now restaurants and such, I'm DAMN glad they banned it there. If I'm in a bar and I don't like the smoke, big deal I can leave, If I'm eating and someone lights up I don't want to have the only choices be leave in the middle of my meal or suffer through the smoke.

• Members

Sorry but I disagree about the owner being able to decide because it causes circumstances that are detrimental. Let's face it, saying the owner makes the call is like having no ban at all because any owner can ban it from his own bar already. An optional law is no law. It's a public health issue and people who want to watch a band shouldn't be subject to constant second hand smoke. Employees shouldn't be either, they have a right to work without being subject to smoke. That's what laws are for, to protect.

Illinois screwed it up by banning it first at the county level. Smokers just drove to the next county and banned bars suffered. When the ban went state-wide, many people came back to the original bar because the first bar had better food, entertainment, service, etc... This is how it should be.

Yeah my old singer was a smoker and it definitely hurt his voice. Flaming hot smoke fries the chords and decreases range. My rig would stink for days after a gig, stink up my SUV too. I know it was filthing up my lungs.

Glad it's been banned. I know smokers who are actually glad because they smoke less now.

• Members

Sorry but I disagree about the owner being able to decide because it causes circumstances that are detrimental. Let's face it, saying the owner makes the call is like having no ban at all because any owner can ban it from his own bar already. An optional law is no law. It's a public health issue and people who want to watch a band shouldn't be subject to constant second hand smoke. Employees shouldn't be either, they have a right to work without being subject to smoke. That's what laws are for, to protect.

Illinois screwed it up by banning it first at the county level. Smokers just drove to the next county and banned bars suffered. When the ban went state-wide, many people came back to the original bar because the first bar had better food, entertainment, service, etc... This is how it should be.

Yeah my old singer was a smoker and it definitely hurt his voice. Flaming hot smoke fries the chords and decreases range. My rig would stink for days after a gig, stink up my SUV too. I know it was filthing up my lungs.

Glad it's been banned. I know smokers who are actually glad because they smoke less now.

I know what you mean, that's the way I felt until a buddy of mine pointed out I do have a choice though. I can leave if I don't like it.. It sucks that that would be my only choice but I still have the choice.

but like I said, whether or not its right to take the control away, i'm glad they did

• Members

That's the infringement. Pick your infringement. A woman needs a job to support her only child and she's a waitress with asthma who can't work in smokey environments. The smokey bars nearby all need help yet she can't take the job. It's an infringement. Her right to work in a safe environment overrides any perceived right to smoke, especially when you can just walk outside and smoke. She can't walk outside and work.

Sometimes laws need to be made because they are civil and choosing to ban smoking in public places is a very civil thing to do. It's one law that lawmakers got right. You can't say to people, "breathe in my smoke or get the heck out". It's barbaric. I'm surprised it took so long to ban in the face of overwhelming evidence concerning secondhand smoke.

Here's a small list of problems caused by indoor smoking;

More colds

More sinus/ear infections

More headaches

More bad sleeping patterns

More asthma

More emphysema

More cancer

More death

More strokes

More skin problems

More blood ailments

More organ failure

More deadly fires

More burns on nonsmokers skin/clothes

The list goes on for miles.

I grew up in a smokey househould and had (or still have) horrible asthma and allergies as a result. My parents had the right to smoke but they didn't know any better because the tobacco companies paid gobs of money to suppress information. Now that we have the information, the lawmakers did the right thing despite the gobs of money they took in from tobacco companies to thwart the ban. They figured out there was more cash in supporting the lawyers who wanted the tobacco companies money!! :cry:

• Members

- georgestrings

The ban is one thing that makes sense to me, even though I can see the personal preference argument.

Here's the deal.

When several of us would go to a restaurant, maybe 2 smokers and 3 non-smokers, there was a weird tension when we were asked about "smoking or non-smoking." Do the non-smokers cause the smokers to suffer? What about the non-smokers who aren't in isolation with their 2 smokers. In the smoking section, there's constant smoke from neighboring tables.

Also consider. What if we sit in the non-smoking and our smoking friends figure they'll order, then go outside for a smoke while the food is being cooked? And then it starts raining really hard. That doesn't leave me with a good feeling.

Consider.

A restaurant can decide to go completely non-smoking, but what happens when my group of 5 wants to go out and have lunch? ALL the 5 of us might end up at the place that allows smoking.

Thus, government takes on the role of "bad guy" and relieves ME of the anxiety of telling a friend, I'd rather not sit in the smoking section/restaurant.

And I get the benefit of going to a Les Claypool concert in Chicago and not coming home stinking and facing a dry-cleaning bill just because I wanted to go out and see Les.

Finally. As the ban was being considered in Chicago, the employees at restaurants, bars, etc. were generally happy. Their health was harmed by an 8hr shift, 5 days/wk, continuous smoking.

In the end, I think it's good for government, in this instance, to step in and relieve friends, staff, and establishment owners of the "bad guy" role.

This is also like a game theory case. What is it that keeps people from doing what they know they should do; e.g., hockey players wearing helmets? If helmets are optional, the people who wear a helment feel a disadvantage against those who don't wear a helment. Thus, the league evens the playing field by demanding that everyone wears a helmet.

When it comes to the smoking ban, the government was the only entity that could even the playing field.

• Members

well, I had quit at the beginning of the year, and did pretty good for 3 mths, then stress got the best of me, and I started back up again, but I don't smoke in this room anymore like I used to do..I go outside now. This room was the only one that I used to smoke in, and it is full of expensive Selena memorabilia, my computer and my basses too..

I went to see my bf at a club last night-and it is in a no smoking city..so it was weird going outside at a bar but tell you what, I appreciated not reeking of everyone else's smoke when I left!

Funny thing is I was sitting at the bar and this guy walks in with his lit cig, and I hear "OH {censored}" and turned around and walked outside..lol! old habits are hard to break!!

Archived