Way OT - Security Clearances?

mlwarriner

• Members

If you previously had one, it is easier to get one, but you'll still have to go through the screening process because your clearance was probably not maintained following your discharge.

It really isn't a big deal and it's more work on their end than yours.

• Members

I had one when I worked for a military contractor.

Didn't seem like a big deal, cause they went ahead and gave it to me.

Maybe they have tightened up since patriot act stuff, but who knows?

C.

It's never been easy to get one; always been a long drawn out process.

I had applications for one both before/after 9/11... They seemed to be an equal pain in the ass. Maybe they do more on their end now, but as far as I could tell...

• Members

Like Burdizzos said, if you've already had one it's easier. You still have to do all the paperwork but it's all online now. After you've turned in the paperwork an interim secret can be had within a few days. A tip; make hard copies of all the pages you fill out online in case you have to do it again.

• Members

The biggest problem with mine was different agencies were supposed to share the forms and applications. One would approve the form and then file it and not send it on to the next step and we had to hound the process to get it through. But I went through in a huge rush job right after 9/11 which kind of bogged down the system. I was not on a priority list, so it took several months and sending duplicate forms, fingerprint cards, etc.

• Members

If you've ever had a clearance in the past, it should be easier to get a new one.

It's more work for the security people than the applicant. The higher the clearance level, the more detailed the background investigation. The levels are essentially Confidential, Secret, Top Secret and Top Secret with specific endorsements for specific projects, programs, or access.

Clearances are good for 5 to 7 years IIRC and need to be periodically updated.

• Members

You will probably need a Secret. As long as you don't have any felonies and don't have ties to drug dealers in another country, it should take a couple months. It's a fairly simple process. You fill out an SF86, which can be done online. You have to fill out info for the past 7 years in most cases; where you lived, jobs held, schools, etc.

You'll also need to provide several references that aren't relatives. Get all that ready now, it's a pain. And like soemone suggested, make copies of everything for future use.

Dan

• Members

Just finished my 5 year periodic review. Thankfully, I haven't had to be poly'd yet. I hear they are a biotch. The process is all online, just make ure you have good records re: where you lived, worked, and who you knew. they go back 10 years, or to your 18th birthday, whichever is shorter. And they WILL call the people you put down, so make sure their info is up to date, and you don't owe them money :)

Secret investigations are good for 10 years, TS or higher 5 years. They go inactive after 2 years of non use, so even if you are within the 10 yea window, but haven't used it in several years, you have to go through it again.

If you want more specific info, PM me :)

Archived