question on compressors?

b_ryceeeee

• Members

Compressors act like an auto volume control. If you play a loud note, it turns the output level down. It will smooth out peaks. Good ones let you dial in attack rates and such.

so its pretty much keeping everything around the same level? so would it be necessary to have if im using effects like overdrive and chorus?

• Moderators
so its pretty much keeping everything around the same level? so would it be necessary to have if im using effects like overdrive and chorus?

A compressor is not going to benefit either of those pedals. A compressor would be used as an effect to increase your sustain (hold a note longer). Or if you have poor technique/lack some control on slap or use pick/finger/slap techniques in the same set and don't want to jack with a volume control a compressor can be somewhat handy, too.

• Members

A compressor is not going to benefit either of those pedals. A compressor would be used as an effect to increase your sustain (hold a note longer). Or if you have poor technique/lack some control on slap or use pick/finger/slap techniques in the same set and don't want to jack with a volume control a compressor can be somewhat handy, too.

What he said - I don't like them for bass, as I feel they kill dynamics - but I really pay attention to keeping an even attack, and playing harder or softer to control my dynamics...

As a soundman, compressors are an invaluable tool - I use them on singers with poor mic technique, "screamers", bassists with inconsistant attacks, and kick drums... I also sometimes use the gating of my compressors to stop toms from ringing through the PA... As is with all things, moderate use is the key to good use of compression - for example, I'll start a channel inserted compressor set around 2:1 compression ratio - which is pretty mild - then bump it up as needed... Now, whatever I'm compressing will sound better at 2:1 than it will at 3:1 or 4:1, BUT - if I'm PFL'ing that channel, and it's still spiking my meters, I'm left with little choice...

For the money, I've found dbx266's to be pretty good - and one of those used for under $100 can be quite useful... Alesis 3630's are a cheaper alternative - but I don't think they sound as good, and their gating can be defeated too easily for my liking...

- georgestrings

Archived