Adding warmth to a GK

no-logic

• Members

I am thinking of adding some warmth to my GK700RB. Any suggestions other than the BDDI that will add some warmth? I am not discounting the Sansamp.....just want to see what else is being used.

Also, I would run it through the effects loop to get the added warmth to the board for FOH and recording. Anything I should know in order to do this?

• Members

Don't know about running the BDDI, but I get warmth out of my 1001rb by setting the contour at 12 o'clock, the presence at either 9 o'clock or zero, and boosting the bass response just a touch. Everything else flat or close to flat.

Set the Boost and Woofer to 12 o'clock, and use the Gain knob for your volume. If you need more warmth, turn up the woofer and turn down the Gain.

:thu:

C7

• Members

I'd mainly be using my Ric clone or my '70s Jazz bass.

Generally dialing in warmth on the amp = dialing out punch and drive. I'm trying to keep the punch while just adding a touch of warmth. I'm thinking that running something like a BDDI or similar would allow the amp settings to stay the same. Am I wrong here?

• Members

Generally dialing in warmth on the amp = dialing out punch and drive.

Hmm....The 70's jazz should certainly be a good stating point, as long as you didn't throw in super clean pick ups at some point.

All the GK's I've played, including the one sitting next to me right now, have been very clean/hi-fi sounding. The opposite of warm. Great for my upright....not what I'm looking for with bass guitar. My only guess would be try a tube preamp going into it...but at that point you might as well get a different amp.

As for sacrificing warmth for punch, I've never had that problem. If you want warm and punchy, try getting your hands on an Eden World Traveler head. It might be what you're going for. If it is, then go buy an Aguilar. :)

• Members

Generally dialing in warmth on the amp = dialing out punch and drive. I'm trying to keep the punch while just adding a touch of warmth. I'm thinking that running something like a BDDI or similar would allow the amp settings to stay the same. Am I wrong here?

I found that the BDDI added the punch and drive, not warmth, but you might be on the right track. Set the amp up for that dub-a-lishiss fatness, then use the BDDI to add back the slightly overdriven punch.

I traded away my BDDI a couple of years ago, and now I wish I had it again. My deal-breaker with that unit was that it hissed like crazy, but now that I have a nicer rig, I think it might be useful again. When I bought it, I was running an Acoustic 270 head into a Laney 2x15, and it gave me the drive that I was looking for from an otherwise warm and boomy rig. Then I went to an Ashdown MAG300 and an old Sonic 4x10, and it hissed way too much. Now that I have all the power I need, I think it would give me what I want without using the settings that probably caused the hiss I didn't like.:D

C7

• Members
I traded away my BDDI a couple of years ago, and now I wish I had it again.

I had one too. Sold it to buy my RBI, which I still use for my live rig. This project is for one of my practice rigs. Just tossing ideas around right now. If I can find the right combination though I may sell my RBI and QSC for a 1001RB for running into my Schroeder for my live rig. I haven't run a GK live yet. I'm planning on that next Saturday with my 700RB and my RBI/QSC close at hand in case I don't like it.

• Members

It has Dimarzio Model J's in it. Much improved.

I had one too. Sold it to buy my RBI, which I still use for my live rig. This project is for one of my practice rigs. Just tossing ideas around right now. If I can find the right combination though I may sell my RBI and QSC for a 1001RB for running into my Schroeder for my live rig. I haven't run a GK live yet. I'm planning on that next Saturday with my 700RB and my RBI/QSC close at hand in case I don't like it.

I love love love my GK in live settings. The thing I really like about it is, no matter what kind of stage I'm on, no matter what kind of monitoring setup they have, and no matter how bad the soundguy is with the stage mix, I always have more juice if I need it, and the EQ is useful enough that I can always get "my" sound from it regardless of the room, the stage, or countless other factors.

C7

• Members

I love love love my GK in live settings. The thing I really like about it is, no matter what kind of stage I'm on, no matter what kind of monitoring setup they have, and no matter how bad the soundguy is with the stage mix, I always have more juice if I need it, and the EQ is useful enough that I can always get "my" sound from it regardless of the room, the stage, or countless other factors.

C7

Which GK are you using live?

• Members

Which GK are you using live?

1001rbII.

The 700rb is every bit as awesome. I was torn over price until I realized that the 1001 was only $100 more than the 700 from RMC, after that it was a no-brainer.:D

It pumps when I run it with two cabs, which is what I'm doing at my next gig. This place has ridiculous monitor volume from craptastic wedges, and a gigantic stage, so I need to have a second cab that's a bit closer to my ears. Plus it looks rad when you play through a stack. Peavey Tour 410 and Avatar 210 Delta. I *might* use my 212 instead of the 210, but if I do that it's only because it'll look more formidable.:D

C7

• Members

1001rbII.

The 700rb is every bit as awesome. I was torn over price until I realized that the 1001 was only $100 more than the 700 from RMC, after that it was a no-brainer.
:D

It pumps when I run it with two cabs, which is what I'm doing at my next gig. This place has ridiculous monitor volume from craptastic wedges, and a gigantic stage, so I need to have a second cab that's a bit closer to my ears. Plus it looks rad when you play through a stack. Peavey Tour 410 and Avatar 210 Delta. I *might* use my 212 instead of the 210, but if I do that it's only because it'll look more formidable.
:D
C7

Nice! Too bad the GK's don't do 2 ohms. I have considered adding a cab to my Schroeder but never have. So I guess I wouldn't really need the capability of running two 4 ohm cabs anyway. Someday I'd like to upgrade to a larger Schroeder. Maybe a 21012.

I'll give the 700RB a try and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Archived