Picking up the Bass

SkySeven

• Members

So... I've decided that I'm going to try my hand at bass. I play the keys and guitar, and after years of lusting after sick bass lines (I'm not even kidding, nothing gets me more pumped than the bass line in U2's With or Without You), I'm going to get my first bass.

So here I am, soliciting your advice. I'm looking for a good bass, gigable, 300-500 bucks. Recommendations? I really appreciate the advice, as I don't know a whole bunch about basses!

Thanks!

• Members

So... I've decided that I'm going to try my hand at bass. I play the keys and guitar, and after years of lusting after sick bass lines (I'm not even kidding, nothing gets me more pumped than the bass line in U2's With or Without You), I'm going to get my first bass.

So here I am, soliciting your advice. I'm looking for a good bass, gigable, 300-500 bucks. Recommendations? I really appreciate the advice, as I don't know a whole bunch about basses!

Thanks!

you got a pretty wide array of options, so ill be the first to say (just to save ya'll some time)

Go into a GC/Sam Ash ect and try as many basses as possible

ok that said, id go for a squier vintage modified of your choice

psssst....get the Precision Vintage modified in white

416352jpg.jpg

but you cant really go wrong with that line, and pocket the rest of the cash or buy an amp :thu:

• Members

I was going to recommend a G&L Tribute L-2000, but apparently they went up $200 sometime while I was eating my lunch.:eek:

If you can swing $700, they're still a great value, though.

Look at the MIM Fender Precision or Jazz basses, or even one of the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzes. You can't really go wrong with these as long as you put it in your hands and play it before you buy it. In your budget range, the basses can be hit-or-miss from one indentical bass to another.

C7

• Members

you got a pretty wide array of options, so ill be the first to say (just to save ya'll some time)

Go into a GC/Sam Ash ect and try as many basses as possible

ok that said, id go for a squier vintage modified of your choice

psssst....get the Precision Vintage modified in white

416352jpg.jpg
but you cant really go wrong with that line, and pocket the rest of the cash or buy an amp
:thu:

So... with regular electrics, squires are kind of seen to be... kinda... um, less than professional grade. Is this how it is with basses too? I mean, obviously I'm not going to be getting some awesome bass in that price range, but I don't want something that just doesn't cut it.

If this is different with basses, please let me know. For all I know, Squire Basses are well respected, though none of my bassists have ever used one.

• Members

So... with regular electrics, squires are kind of seen to be... kinda... um, less than professional grade. Is this how it is with basses too? I mean, obviously I'm not going to be getting some awesome bass in that price range, but I don't want something that just doesn't cut it.

If this is different with basses, please let me know. For all I know, Squire Basses are well respected, though none of my bassists have ever used one.

This is why we recommend the Vintage Modified series. Stay away from the Affinity series Squiers.

You can get the MIM Fender Standard Precision for $450. IMO, though, the VM Squiers are every bit as nice for $200 less. I played a fretless VM Jazz a couple of months ago, and if I had $300 in my pocket at the time I would have purchased it on the spot. It sounded very good.

Again, play several of them to find a gem. All >$500 basses are going to be hit or miss on the QC side, but you can find one that's great.

C7

• Members

Has anyone told you guys that you're a lot nicer than the other forums here? You guys rule!

well according to the guitar forums it cause bass is so easy, we have enough spare time to spend on here :rolleyes:

but seriously, we all been there at one point, unlike the guitarists who were born playing e7 pentatonic scales :rolleyes:

ok seriously, its no problem, we like low end converts :rawk:

• Members

No love from the guitar forums? I mean. admittedly, I bet I could flub a baseline using the bottom notes of bar chords... but it would suck hard core. I think there's a lot of room for expression in a bass line, and it can change the whole song in a subtle, almost underhanded kind of way. And you can't do that without some mad skills...

• Members

I'd love to pick up a used, banged up, mid 80's bass. For some reason, I just dig the idea.

Meh. Talk about hit-or-miss. If you're going to drop some dough on a bass that's gig-worthy right off the bat, don't buy something banged up. Plus, you're going to be hard pressed to find something that sounds good from that era that someone is going to be willing to part with. Active basses from the 80's aren't anywhere near what you find nowadays, and Fenders from the 80's are hard to find, at least in my experience.

You're on the right track with buying used, though. However, if you're going to go that route, save up $900 and buy a used Stingray or something of that caliber. That $500-$1000 range is no-man's-land for new basses IMO, but you can get some good deals on nicer used basses for that price if you're picky and not impulsive about it.

C7

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I really just want something solid that I can use for a few years. By the nature of my job and school, I'll randomly play a ton for a couple months, then nothing for 6 months. I want something solid and reliable waiting in the wings when I need it, that didn't break the bank (since it is such sporadic use).

Should I start using S7?

• Members

yeah Squier VM are really great basses, i have a jazz bass that i use as my main practice bass, also there are many other good basses that you could look for, i also was going to recommend you a g&L tribute but... wtf? they are over 500, there were lots cheaper last month, a fender MIM, would be a good option but as everyone has told you here, they costs like 400 and VM are 200, MIM basses are not going to be $200 better than a VM, so if you want a vintage looking bass with a Jazz or Presicion tone, get a VM, best option, believe us.

Also! a very very nice option would be a Peavey T-40, they are AWESOME basses, i love mine, its my main bass, i dont need any other bass, the tone is fricking awesome, you wont believe that it is a passive bass, you will have a lot of control of your tone, i got mine for under 300, but i was lucky they go around 300 and 350, this would be my recommendation.

if you want a more modern bass, try Peavey Grind series, very good basses for the price, i also have one and used to be my main before the T40 came.

SB900LE (a forumite) has told me how awesome Ibanez SB900LE are, i havent played them but he knows a lot of basses so i trust him, i was looking for these basses on Ebay and i found this that is not any expensive

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I really just want something solid that I can use for a few years. By the nature of my job and school, I'll randomly play a ton for a couple months, then nothing for 6 months. I want something solid and reliable waiting in the wings when I need it, that didn't break the bank (since it is such sporadic use).

You bet. Some food for thought: I've owned this MIM Fender Precision "Squier Series" since 1996. It's taken a few beatings, and still plays great:

RigPixxx002.jpg

I've upgraded the bridge, swapped out the pickups, upgraded the pots, then eventually removed them altogether, but even before I did that stuff, I would have gigged this bass no problem. It was my first bass, and it will never be for sale.

Should I start using S7?

Only if you want me to tip over a bunch of porta-potties in your driveway.:mad:

C7

• Members

In that price range, you might want to give some Peavey's a look.

I have a Cirrus BXP (Chinese) and bought a Millennium AC BXP (Indonesian) for my daughter.

They both play great and have better fretwork out of the box than my other basses.

Both these basses have the neck pickup in the sweet spot like a Fender P, but have a much thinner neck profile similar to an Ibanez or a really thin Jazz neck.

• Members

I've been playing bass for 44 years and the best is an American Fender. Second best would be a MIM Fender. I've owned three of the "Vintage Modified" series Fenders (precision and jazz) and have had trouble with the necks warping. Someone mentioned on this forum that anything made in Indonesia, they use green wood, that may be the problem. I've owned the Affinity series jazz and precision Squiers and like 'em. No problems with neck warping. Best deal for you would be a used MIM Fender but play it and check it out first.

• Members

If you're looking for something not too expensive and with a good full sound, and you think it would be cool to go for a beat-up 80s model, I'd highly recommend the mid-to-late 80s Ibanez Roadstar II basses. Very full sound, thinner neck (easier to maneuver for a g-player), built tough, balanced well and would go very well tonally with the sound you seem to prefer. You could check on EvilBay or other sources. I got a fretless RSII in 1987 and it's one of the best basses I've ever played. It's my #1 fretless and #2 player overall, beating out my '63 P-bass for punch.

• Members

I'd love to pick up a used, banged up, mid 80's bass. For some reason, I just dig the idea.

Guild Pilot. You can usually find one on evilbay in your price range. Being a guitarist you will more then likely love the neck on them, and they sound great as well. Seriously underrated basses.

:thu:

Archived