Question for mac notebook users

sunburstbasser

• Members

I use an iBook G4 for most of my computer activities. I've gone through two of the Apple AC cords since getting it about 3 years ago. Are these older, barrel-type plugs prone to breakage or is it just bad luck? Both of mine got really bad bends right behind the barrel and it looks like the wires actually broke. I've got a non-Apple cord coming now, hopefully it'll last a while longer. I am not intentionally hard on these things, should I be extra careful with them?

• Members

I had a few iBooks with those style of plugs and one of them went out. My mom's been using the other one for the past year or so and it's starting to show signs of going out. Apple's newer magnetic design is a much needed improvement.

• Members

You know, I overheard one of my co-workers mention that even outside of warranty, we cover fraying of the wire going into the connector because it poses a fire hazard. I'll ask my manager about it tomorrow.

As far as care of the connector goes: to reduce weight and improve flexibility, Apple went with a relatively small cable between the connector and the power brick (both in the barrel design you have, and in the new magsafe adapters). Because of this, the ends of the cable, where it connects to the brick and the plug, are prone to overuse damage. I encountered it with my first magsafe because I used to wrap the cable too tightly. A friend taught me how to wrap the new one so that it relieves stress on the connection. Also, they told me to avoid 90 degree angles with the cable coming out of the computer. Always try to let the cable bend, not the rubber joint around the connector. It seems liek common sense, but my current connector has lasted much longer since I've been taking the extra precautions.

• Moderators

You know, I overheard one of my co-workers mention that even outside of warranty, we cover fraying of the wire going into the connector because it poses a fire hazard. I'll ask my manager about it tomorrow.

I recently had to have the power cable on our MacBook Pro replaced for free out of warranty because of this issue. A friend of a friend burned his entire house down due to a failing power cable on his Mac laptop. Ours started failing in the same way and it was scary. My old T-40 and my current T-60 and T-61 all kick the MacBook Pro's ass. :thu:

Archived