Recommendations Needed: Bass for recording in studio

sixstring-LYM

• Members

Currently own an older 6-string Ibanez. I have also recorded a few albums with it, but it is not quite giving me the punch that I am looking for. I think it's biggest downfall is the Active pickups.

Also looking to move to a 5-string. Just do not have much use for that 6th string.

• Members

I think it's biggest downfall is the Active pickups.

Your likely correct. From there, the strings then the setup.

If it's a decent enough instrument, you could find a nice set of passive pickups for it, proper strings(ground wounds or, preferably, flats) and get a professional setup done on it, and be 90% there. The other 10% is a split coil pickup in the sweet spot.

Now,

...that's just gear-wise. Your touch will have MUCH more to do with your recorded sound than the tool you employ.

• Members

Jesus how many grains of sand are there on a beach. It all depends on what you want to sound like.

T.Alan makes a point though. Fender are instrument ninjas = Masters ov all forms of combat:) I resisted buying fender because they were too bulky. Now that I actually own one I see what an Idiot I was being. All kneel before sir Leo Fender.

• Members

Fender P or J (or one with P/J pickups) will cover just about anything and sound good.

I have 2 jazz basses but I still prefer the sound of my Spector Rebop 5 & Euro 5 LX over the Fender's. This is a very subjective subject.

It will come down to how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

• Members

From my personal experience, a Ken Smith J series.

The Smith does a great job of reproducing a J and P bass tone but also has one of the very best straight tones on the market. They track flawlessly, with ultra-quiet electronics. They are very widely used in pro studios because of their flexibility... even the bassist for the American Idol band plays one.

If you don't have that kind of cash ($+/-$1500 used ($3k new) for a BSR4J) to drop on it, I would say an American Fender Jazz Bass.

Archived