Can a band with no drummer (percussionist) rock?

Kindness

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but to never smell your own brand of flatulence is a sad sad thing. It's all part of the human experience, can't you see that!

If you had smelled garbage, or a fart for that matter, you might have been Christian! You know what they say "A butterfly farts in Indonesia, and an american lawyer converts to Christianity"...or something like that...

• Members

Ok, I didn't actually read this thread, but I searched every page for Tenacious D. I know the joke is that they can't actually rock because they're just an acoustic guitar duo, but I still think they rock. Now I'll go back to the beginning of the thread and see if my suspicions of an argument forming around the idea of drum machines vs. real drummers plays out.

• Members

Just to chime in and agree, I don't think this can be done without simulating a kick and snare with the bass somehow. Lots of slap/pop guys can make some pretty crazy drum type sounds.

What I would do instead of getting a real drummer, however, is hire the guy from Just 4 Kicks. That dude is amazing. :)

• Members

In other words, don't play bass as a bassist in a rock band would, invent a new idiom and become the percussion. I agree that's the only way.

Well, I think all those tricks have a place in a normal rock band also, but then again I tend to appreciate weirdness more than some.

• CMS Author

:confused:

It seems pretty simple to me - you have a bass guitar in your hands; your band has no drummer.

If you need or desire a percussive backbone, then create one.
:idea:

And Larry Graham most certainly can rock out - Robert Trujillo thinks so too.

I'm not sure why you need examples of bands that 'rock' with no drummer; the songs you are playing are unique to your outfit, so why not IMAGINE for yourself how they can be made more whole without a drummer?

Hell I dunno - have fun with it I guess; you just don't seem very receptive to ideas that haven't been "proven" already.

You're correct that Larry developed some of that persussive technique when he first started out in a band with no drummer. And yes, Larry can definitely rock, but he doesn't rock when he's doing the percussive thing...he grooves. Trading off part of the bass line to fill in percussively still detracts substantially from the rock feel. The end result is still no rock.

• Members

Ok, I didn't actually read this thread, but I searched every page for Tenacious D. I know the joke is that they can't actually rock because they're just an acoustic guitar duo, but I still think they rock. Now I'll go back to the beginning of the thread and see if my suspicions of an argument forming around the idea of drum machines vs. real drummers plays out.

Ton's of guitar duos rock. That's not what he's looking for. It would seem, that there are literally no examples of a group with no drummer, but with a bass, and plays rock. I can think of examples in other genres, but not "rock".

I think the direction I'd go would be the looper idea that other have suggested. The three of you can probably layer some stuff that would sound really cool and it's very entertaining to watch. Here's some inspiration:

[YOUTUBE]PAI3QgssxKA[/YOUTUBE]

He goes loopy at 4:50. If you will beat box I promise to come to the show.

• Members

I may not get it, maybe we have a different Idea on rocking; I was a young man in the 70s so maybe you are talking about something else. What do you mean when you say rock? For me it is not just the genre of music it is what you bring to the music, and does the crowd feel your music. I know a lot of technically sound players, but when they play their sterile, everything is there accept the feel they don

• Members

I saw a two man band in Julian California (the pie capitol of the world) and they blew me away. An acoustic guitar player and a bassplayer who played a broomstick with one string coming out of a tub of some sort. They kept a hat in front of the stage for people to toss money in.

They ROCKED!!!

• Members

Probably not, at least not in the "power" meaning of rock.

As such, you should let me come and play my yamaha DD-55 with y'all.

photoL.jpg

I'm more than halfway serious.

With a little verb it actually sounds nice.

Has a kick pedal and hat pedal.

And a volume knob!:thu:

Always thought it would be fun onstage.

Anyhow,

What time are you guys on, on Saturday? I may get down there to see the spectacle.

C.

• Moderators

What do you mean when you say rock?

I mean it as a genre classifier, not as in "those guys rock," but as in "those guys are playing 'rock' music." For purposes of this thread "rock" has nothing to do with quality of performance.

[YOUTUBE]0ekJqZLxnLo[/YOUTUBE]

You can't take the drums out of this song and retain any viable portion of the "rock." You can however eliminate the bass and miss nearly nothing! :idea: You can not play this song with an acoustic guitar and a one string washtub bass without changing the entire flavor of the performance. It could make it much cooler, better, maybe even more musical but it can't be more rock.

Archived