Windows Help - Clearing drive space?

mlwarriner

• Members

OK. So I've got an older laptop, running XP. Smallish HDD, and I'm rapidly running out of space. I think I'm down to like 3mb.

So I open a command window and run a DIR on c:windows.

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of .log files. Some are smallish, one or two are several meg.

Can I delete these .log files? What are they? What purpose do they serve?

Unfortunately, this is the only computer in my house with working sound at the moment, and we want to use our streaming hours from netflix. And cartoons are {censored}ty without sound.

I've uninstalled nearly everything else from this computer. It's got windows, firefox and internet explorer (since netflix's movie player won't play nice with firefox).

• Members

clear these folders:

c:windows emp

c:documents and settings"your user profile"local settings emp

C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistributionDownload

Then right click your "My Computer" and choose Properties. Click the System Restore tab and slide the slider down so it's around 500Mb or less.

Lemme know how that turns out.

• Members

If you've got time, I recommend you do a fresh install of Windows. By an external HDD and get everything off the computer that you want, then re-install.

It will run sweet. Careful though, if you don't know what you're doing it could go wrong.

You mostly just have to make sure you still have all your Driver CDs...

• Members

clear these folders:

c:windows emp

c:documents and settings"your user profile"local settings emp

C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistributionDownload

Then right click your "My Computer" and choose Properties. Click the System Restore tab and slide the slider down so it's around 500Mb or less.

Lemme know how that turns out.

oh, and empty the recycle bin. Otherwise, Bluescout's suggestions are likely the ticket.

• Members

.log files can be a lot of things. Helpful, Iknow
:)
Try defragging with the windows utility, and maybe the disc cleaner too. Then maybe Regedit or CCleaner to clear out the debris.

i cleared a bunch of .log files, and some NtUninstall folders.

Now I've got almost half a gig free, hopefully I can actually RUN a defrag. Previously, it wouldn't even let me run it since I was so low on free space.

Archived