OT: Professional dress code?

Super_Donut_Man

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why?

Why am I forced to wear nice pants and a nice button down shirt every day? I do not see anybody except my managers.
:confused:
Seems like all it does is lower morral, which at my company, is already staggeringly low.

At least you don't have to wear a tie. Wearing one of those all day can seriously make you go ape {censored}. You'll want to hang yourself with it. :mad:

• Members

If you look and feel professional, you will work and conduct yourself in a more responsible manner, whether or not you are in personal contact with clients, the public etc...

I really don't see this at all. Its not a good reason. I think it has the opposite effect of what is intended... maybe its a way to break peoples spirits, and making them conform.

• Members

At least you don't have to wear a tie. Wearing one of those all day can seriously make you go ape {censored}. You'll want to hang yourself with it.
:mad:

There are studies out there that I have read that show that people who wear a suit and tie to work are more productive.

I don't but into it in my industry, which is why I have a business casual policy (jeans and a collared shirt), but there is actually a reason behind it.

• Members

There are studies out there that I have read that show that people who wear a suit and tie to work are more productive.

I call foul on that one. Wearing a tie doesn't make you productive, that's just stupid. A job that demands you wear a tie might also be the type of place to more closely monitor your workflow and output. A tie wearer may be a big wig, who has too much to do in a day, and is therefore more inclined to have a higher output than some graphics arts slob. But to say that donning a tie makes you more productive is just plain stupid. The tie doesn't make you work faster, your environment and/or work ethic does.

• Members

I call foul on that one. Wearing a tie doesn't make you productive, that's just stupid. A job that demands you wear a tie might also be the type of place to more closely monitor your workflow and output. A tie wearer may be a big wig, who has too much to do in a day, and is therefore more inclined to have a higher output than some graphics arts slob. But to say that donning a tie makes you more productive is just plain stupid. The tie doesn't make you work faster, your environment and/or work ethic does.

Well, what the study said is that the manner of dress affected the mindframe of the individual. Much like putting on a uniform for other jobs, it got them into their "work" mode.

Like I said, I personally disagree with it and don't follow it but they had some pretty extensive study data to back up their claims.

• Members

As long as a dress code is well within the boundaries of logic and appropriateness, I'm not sure I'd call it a "control" issue.

It's just that some dumb{censored}s out there are too stupid to know what not to wear to work. :cop:

• Members

If you're in a publicly-traded company, the public stockholders are your bosses. It's a sign of respect for the real owners of the company for us to come in well-groomed and well-dressed.

Thats a load of bologne. How often do you go into a company that you own stock in and complain about the dress code. I am sure that if you asked any investor in a public company, do you care what they are wearing, they would say that they do not.

Plus I have interviewed at LARGE successful public companies who has a slack dress codes.

Investors give a flying hoot about employees other than the top execs is a thing you will never see.

• Members

if they require a button down shirt and tie and slacks, they don't probably say that it has to be blue, or black. Head over to Goodwill and find the ugliest button down cowboy shirts (mother of pearl buttons, fringe) and non-matching tie perhaps in paisley, and some red plaid slacks.

Finish it off with a college professor tweed blazer with the leather elbow pads

Archived