AHOTD: naming your kid Hitler edition

ec437

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know about that. I know it's unlawfull to publish or display deliberately offensive or inflamatory....uhhh...stuff.

This guy a few weeks ago got in a heap of {censored} for flying a Nazi flag in his backyard.

It's kinda scary how much that sounds like censorship though doesn't it?

yes.. but they guys was NOT forced to take the flag down.. becuase legally he had not broken any law.. bad taste? yes, illegal.. no.. The local council tried to remove it because the flag pole itself was illegal (ie, some metal pole stuff he found in the back yard bolted to his house..)

He took it down in the end and replaced it with an Australian flag after the RSL (Returned Servicemans League) went around and had a chat with him..

• Members

Does anyone else find it amusing that the Campbells have a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a 1 year old child? I would guess this family doesn't believe in contraception....

Just imagine all the weird child names this family will have in 10 years!

By that time, some of these kids might have kids, and the Campbells could be grandparents to a new generation of horribly-named children!

• Members

My dad introduced my to an old guy (now deceased) that grew up in the same town as him. Small farm community. The guy was born in the 20's but from the 1940's on his life was hell, because they happened to name him "Adolph" and he had to wear that stigma his whole life. People always gave him grief over it.

A friend told me about a neighbor of theirs. Last name "Greene." They named their sons:

Hunter

Forrest

and Daughter:

Kelly

:facepalm:

• Members

The outrage!! Someone with sense dared speak! Didn't she realize the only criteria worth consideration is offense?!

:rolleyes:

She's allowed to make suggestions, but when she starts presenting it like "you'd better do this right now or else," I would have issue with it.

• Members

I think it's strange you have to take lessons and pass a test to get a driver's license, but any idiot can have a child. No lessons, no test.

Agreed.

In fact, I think this is might be something we ALL can agree on, no?

• Members

Part of me hopes this kids are home-schooled, to spare them from the inevitable torment from their peers. The other part of me realizes that a parent who gives their child the middle name "Aryan Nation" shouldn't be allowed to home-school and further spread their horrible ideals.

Haha. I was about to say, do you really want the parents homeschooling these kids? They would grow up with Stalin as their hero.

• Members

Ahhh gimme a break. They're not punishing the father, they're punishing the kid. Do we flip-the-{censored}-out every time someone names their kid after someone infamous? I don't think so. I mean, don't get me wrong, the guy is a douche bag, but really, denying the kid a cake because of his name? I wonder if they would do the same if the kid was Mexican and named Jesus. Hitler only killer 50 million or so, Jesus supposedly killed the entire {censored}ing planet with the exception of one guy and a boat...

I can think of a long list of names that can be connected with all kinds of negativity, but a name is just a name. People get too wound up and offended about {censored} that doesn't matter.

• Members

Ahhh gimme a break. They're not punishing the father, they're punishing the kid. Do we flip-the-{censored}-out every time someone names their kid after someone infamous? I don't think so. I mean, don't get me wrong, the guy is a douche bag, but really, denying the kid a cake because of his name? I wonder if they would do the same if the kid was Mexican and named Jesus. Hitler only killer 50 million or so, Jesus supposedly killed the entire {censored}ing planet with the exception of one guy and a boat...

I can think of a long list of names that can be connected with all kinds of negativity, but a name is just a name. People get too wound up and offended about {censored} that doesn't matter.

*cough* ..........................................................................

• Members

Private businesses are allowed to withhold service from whomever they choose. They aren't punishing anyone.

• Members

Not true. They can't deny someone because they're a gay jewish gyspsy
:D

IIRC, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on membership in a protected class, e.g. religious affiliation, gender, national origin or race.

Since '@sshole' is not a protected class, the Campbells can't claim discrimination.

:D

• Members

Private businesses are allowed to withhold service from whomever they choose. They aren't punishing anyone.

What they "can" do and what they "should" do are two different things.

Does a name really make that big of a difference? Do you think the kid really understands what's up with his name? Or that he should be punished because his dad is an asshole?

Like I said, I can think of plenty of names that can be attached to someone notorious.

I just don't see how people can get all worked up about stuff like this. So the guy picked a {censored}ed up name for his kid. Is it really the end of the world? I got more important {censored} to do with my energy than spend it worrying about someone's name. Maybe I'm just jealous that some people don't...

• Members

What they "can" do and what they "should" do are two different things.

Does a name really make that big of a difference? Do you think the kid really understands what's up with his name? Or that he should be punished because his dad is an asshole?

Like I said, I can think of plenty of names that can be attached to someone notorious.

I just don't see how people can get all worked up about stuff like this. So the guy picked a {censored}ed up name for his kid. Is it really the end of the world? I got more important {censored} to do with my energy than spend it worrying about someone's name. Maybe I'm just jealous that some people don't...

Again, and this was the really important part in my earlier post: No one was "punished". The store that refused to put the name on the cake offered to sell a cake with a generic Happy Birthday message, the family choose not to buy it. This isn't a punishment. The store chose not to sell a cake with something potentially offensive on it, the family is more than welcome to go to a different store (which they did) or get something without the original wording (which the didn't). There wasn't any punishment involved.

What the store should do in this situation is whatever they think is best for their business. It really isn't up to me to determine what that is.

• Members

Maybe it doesn't matter in the grander scheme of things, but it obviously matters to the people who matter.

Who's being punished? How does that compare against having a cake-decorating staff of maybe 3 people and they're all avoiding that cake order? And what about a store that figures we'd rather take the heat for NOT doing the cake than for being accused of being dispassionate?

That family can go to another store, spend about $10 and get the supplies to decorate all the cakes, cookies, cupcakes, pies they want.

http://www.kitchencrums.com/wicadeset18p.html

Here's a link for a cake decorating kit for $7.99 and YouTube is loaded with cake-decorating instructions--in addition to the instructions that come with the kit for $7.99. That store isn't punishing anyone.

Archived