NAD

Kindness

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

5550016.jpg

I'd be less of a tease if I had a chance to open the boxes yet. :facepalm:

I have a "100 watt" Ampeg (V-4B), I've built a "100 watt" Fender (Twin Reverb head), so it was time to build a 100 watt Marshall. No better place to start than the original Plexi lead.

• Moderators

You rail on O-Prime for even considering popping open his SVT, yet let children run untethered around the same...
:facepalm:

Kindness, I thought I knew thee...
:(

Sean's building this amp for me. He's four this month, he better start pulling his weight. :facepalm:

Remember, it isn't dangerous until it is plugged in the first time. :cop:

• Members

If it's like mine, the best tone is achieved by jumping channel one to two. The channel one tone stack is pretty thin sounding, and the second channel is like bypassing tone control - just straight to the amp - and it's fat as hell. A little fiddling with the balance and you've got sweetness. :thu:

• Members

5550016.jpg

I'd be less of a tease if I had a chance to open the boxes yet.
:facepalm:

I have a "100 watt" Ampeg (V-4B), I've built a "100 watt" Fender (Twin Reverb head), so it was time to build a 100 watt Marshall. No better place to start than the original Plexi lead.

Do want!

• Moderators

If it's like mine, the best tone is achieved by jumping channel one to two. The channel one tone stack is pretty thin sounding, and the second channel is like bypassing tone control - just straight to the amp - and it's fat as hell. A little fiddling with the balance and you've got sweetness.
:thu:

I see that from the schematic. We'll see how I like it when it's put together. If I need to make some adjustments to the tone stacks, that's easy to do. I have an idea that I'm going to like it in the more traditional form though, I already have the other amps, particularly the Fender, for the real full tone.

• Members

I think you'll dig it.

I lost the little impedance selector jumper pin in the back of mine many years ago, so mine's perma wired to 8 ohms. The cab I use it with normally is a sealed 2 x12" - 8 ohm, and it's led a pretty easy life over the years - it's not being asked to do much more than provide presence.

When the Bears were doing those dates back in '07 for the Eureka release, we were playing a show in Pittsburgh and about 3/4 of the way through the set, all the bottom drops out. The other half my rig - the SVT>15"s just stopped. :eek: It being the middle of a show and we not having the dough to hire a real stage tech, I couldn't take a whole lot of time to try to troubleshoot it. I just plugged the 15"s (4ohms) into the marshall and cranked it up to about 9:30...so it was pushing 2 12"s & 2 15"s at something between 2 and 3 ohms. I'm not going to say it was totally clean, but we had bottom on stage to finish out the set...and it did sound pretty badass. I was just totally impressed that it rose to the occasion without a glitch.

They are incredibly tough machines.

• Moderators

I sat down with the parts, the parts list, the schematic and layout, some design programs and some notes I have and came up with a few mods already. I'll be increasing the size of the coupling cap between the first and second stages (the original acts as a high pass filter at 720 Hz, I'll drop it to 72 Hz), modding the tone stack to taste by increasing the size of one of the caps (increasing C2 to 100n if you are following along on the Duncan TSC) and increasing the size of the output coupling caps to 0.1 uF. Those four caps should make a pretty big difference, all for the better.

I also was a little surprised that this head is both wider and taller than my SVT. Also, the PT and OT are 10 lbs each. This amp is going to be a beast.

Archived