Old Memphis Bass

gn2882

• Members

I found in the attic my first bass I used to play in the early eighties. Aside from being a brick (weightwise and from what I recall playing it - put it down around 1983) can anyone tell me anything about them? It's obviously some kind of import P-Bass knockoff. I'm thinking about cleaning it up and seeing if it will play - for old times sake.

• Members

Pics?

Sounds like a Made in Japan 'Lawsuit' bass from the late '70s/early '80s. They were copies of US instruments, usually popular Fender and Gibson basses and guitars, though Ric copies are fairly common, too.

They went under brand names such as Memphis, Penco, Greco, Univox, Shaftsbury, etc. Ibanez badging was common too.

The 'good' ones were made in the Matsumoko factory, which closed down in 1987 or so. They're decent instruments for the money, and some of them are better quality that the original US guitars and basses.

• Members

My first bass was an old Memphis P. Played and sounded like absolute crap but I'd love to have it back. Rock that puppy!
:thu:

:lol: why is that you always love your first of everything? i sold mine for $10 to some kid that wanted to learn how to play bass. i miss it even though it would be a great dust collector.

• Members

I've tried for years to buy back my first car, a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, without sucess - so it really meant a lot to me to find this thing upstairs - I had totally forgotten I had it. Here's a pic of me way back in '82 playing it - I'll get a current pic of it up as soon as I can. That amp back there - an Acoutic head on a 2 X 15 Peavey cabinet was the most worst sounding POS ever, but all I could afford. The bass even then was already missing both volume and tone control knobs, but looks like I had the bridge cover still on it - it's long gone now.

• Members

I've tried for years to buy back my first car, a 1973 Mustang Mach 1, without sucess - so it really meant a lot to me to find this thing upstairs - I had totally forgotten I had it. Here's a pic of me way back in '82 playing it - I'll get a current pic of it up as soon as I can. That amp back there - an Acoutic head on a 2 X 15 Peavey cabinet was the most worst sounding POS ever, but all I could afford. The bass even then was already missing both volume and tone control knobs, but looks like I had the bridge cover still on it - it's long gone now.

dude at least you got a good looking rig and bass. those old memphis basses were neither. sweet shorts man! :lol:

Archived