First Rehearsal with IEM

Thunderbroom

• Members

IME, using IEM's w/out these are almost not worth it.

The regular earbud tips never fit right and definitely don't "seal". It's like night and day between the two. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it.

I haven't used the molded units yet, so I can't say that it isn't worth it. I currently use Ultimate Ears Super fi 5EB ear phones and I am quite happy with them, but I suspect that I waill be happier still with the Shure SCL4s in custom molds.

With sub-par earphones, it wouldn't be worth it, but as it stands, it beats the {censored} out of hauling around a bass rig.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

4's?!?

Go 5!!

GC is clearing out the 4s for $80.

$80 vesus $400?

I'm currently using the super fi 5EBs and am quite happy with them, but I figure it's worth a little over $200 to get the SCL4s with custom molds. I'm probably going to use hearyourself.com to get my molds made.

Z-x was using the same super fis as I am until GC blew out the SCL4s, he says that the SCL4s are much better sounding than the super fis, so I can only imagine that the custom molds will only add to the awesome.

• Members
How much did the custom molds set you back? I understand it's a two-step process: visit audiologist to get hearing test and molds poured and the those are set elsewhere for the melding of the mold to your earbud.

4's?!?

Go 5!!

I live in Podunk, TX, but for the custom molded tips for my Westone UM2's were $99. :)

Just used my local audiologist who was an authorized Westone dealer. The guy had to be pushing 80 be he did a great job. It's the same way you do hearing aids, (well used to) so it was no big deal.

• Members

Really, the only difference between them and playing through studio cans is they fit in your ear.

I know I'm a dinosaur, but I never have had a problem with decent monitors, and I like being able to move around the stage and hear different things.

Do not want.

Same here - I've tried to love IEMs, but just don't like them... I do appreciate their use for drummers - they work extremely well for my drummer, and save me the hassle of lugging around a drum box...

- georgestrings

• Members

Hey, it's just like playing bass in a real band!
:lol:

I hear they make this thing now that lets you hear the bass while you're playing it. In real time and everything. They even make this big mother{censored}er of a bass that you don't even need an amp to use. Neat.

Sorry, I'm just trying to play bass, not streamline a money-making venture. :)

• Members

Same here - I've tried to love IEMs, but just don't like them... I do appreciate their use for drummers - they work extremely well for my drummer, and save me the hassle of lugging around a drum box...

- georgestrings

I have the most issues with singing drummers. If they have a headset mic it is a little better, but otherwise it can be tough getting enough out of their monitor.

• Members
I have the most issues with singing drummers. If they have a headset mic it is a little better, but otherwise it can be tough getting enough out of their monitor.

I work with two different singing drummers, and they are amazingly easy to please with any decent monitor. Both use stands because they like the option of losing the mic when not in use. They even know not to swing it away into pointing at the monitor....:idea:

maybe they're not so dumb after all. :cool:

• Members

Just FMI, does anyone still use "Hot Spot" monitors?
I know those were en vogue for a while and they make sense, even if looking a little goofy, for drummers and the like if you wanted (or could) separate out your freq's and send the lows to a bigger monitor but then have guitars, vox, keys etc run at near ear-level.

Anyway. :)

Archived