Custom leather straps? Any interest?

Dark Slide

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boy, lots of interest. I am going to look into putting in an order for leather today. Nice to see that there are a lot of different likes and dislikes. I don't want to get bored :) I also prefer an unfinished inside for traction, but I see others like it finished.

I am going to try and get leather ordered today, and I will start working on a HCBF strap. I'll post some updates so people can see my work, and if people don't think I suck, I'll get started.

I guess what I will need is a PM from people, with an idea of what they want for a strap.

• Width

• Rough length (Standard from 37" to 49", Long 47" to 54", or a custom length)

• Logo (if you have one), or idea of what you want (if anything).

• Colors - As long as you don't get TOO crazy, color shouldn't be an issue.

• Any other considerations you might want. If you wanna go nuts with the customization, we can get down to the color the the thread I use for the stitching, rivets, beer can holders...

Now, it is possible that I could save some cost by stitching the straps with a machine. What would normally take me 45 min. to do by hand can be done in like 5 minutes on a machine... but I prefer to hand stitch. I punch every single hole and I know that every single stitch is a good one.

Keep popping out ideas for things people might want to consider when ordering a strap.

• Members

I like to make medieval costume stuff, so I love doing leatherwork for viking costumes and sword scabbards and armor and helms and stuff like that. So this hits very close to home for me! I DIG IT!

Okay, Darkslide, time to make a Death Eater strap.

Here's a battle plan. Go buy any cheapo leather strap of this style..

p1790.jpg

They can be had at any Guitar Center or other stores. I've seen the cheapo straps clearanced for ten bucks sometimes. This would be a good starting point to get good measurements and see how the slots and wrapping knot works. Basically buying a template to start from.

Then, work on some styling around the front point, to get some really wicked outside shape. Then tool the Death Eater into it.

Take tons of good close-up pics, and post em here. Once everyone sees your completed work, you'll get NAILED with requests.

Here's my personal idea... do it up in a naturally light oiled finish, so it still looks flesh-colored. Then filth up the strap randomly. Make it look like an Azkaban prisoner's arm who hasn't washed off the evil for MONTHS.

Here's another issue. I love the look of a leather strap, but I greatly prefer how a nylon strap slides and moves freely on my shoulder. So I usually buy leather straps and wear them inside out, so the smooth side is against my shoulder and the suede side faces out. If you can come up with a way to make a strap with leather on one side and a black nylon fabric stitched underneath, SOLD. Hell, I even have a logo I made loooong ago of a flying dragon, like a silhouette, that I'd LOVE to have on a black strap with the dragon stained bright red.

• Members

That is not a bad price. I was thinking you meant like 300.00 or something. I will start thinking what I want on a strap.

That isn't bad at all. I was thinking the exact same range at first.

What do you need as far as artwork is considered? I am thinking that mid year I may get you to do one up for my best friend who is a bassist and I want to give him a really nice present. I'd love love love to give him a custom fitted strap, he sews his nylons in place, he's very much a "set it and forget it" type of guy. I'd also want to put some artwork on it, a very specific cross that he has tattooed on his arm, the artwork would likely come from a good photo of his tattoo, is that enough to work from?

It would need to be a good width, I could give you the exact length from hole to hole and what is the possiblity of having padding sewn in at a specific area?

It would also need to be black or a dark red to match the bass. (it's made of padauk wood)

• Members

I have one of these installed on my amp:

starr-coors-light.jpg

And still want to attach one to a strap. But the strap will fold before you get enough torque to actually open a bottle. You'd need a loooong stiff piece of steel inside or behind the strap to keep it rigid enough to work.

Yeah, I know, I've tried all kinds of wacky {censored}. Trust me.

• Members

That isn't bad at all. I was thinking the exact same range at first.

What do you need as far as artwork is considered? I am thinking that mid year I may get you to do one up for my best friend who is a bassist and I want to give him a really nice present. I'd love love
love
to give him a custom fitted strap, he sews his nylons in place, he's very much a "set it and forget it" type of guy. I'd also want to put some artwork on it, a very specific cross that he has tattooed on his arm, the artwork would likely come from a good photo of his tattoo, is that enough to work from?

It would need to be a good width, I could give you the exact length from hole to hole and what is the possiblity of having padding sewn in at a specific area?

It would also need to be black or a dark red to match the bass. (it's made of padauk wood)

Well, as I said, I'm not guaranteeing any prices right now. I am just taking a rough guess. That being said, I checked with my father and he said it was a fair estimate for a basic strap being ~$50. Obviously the price will reflect how much detail work, and specialties I have to put in.

A high quality photo of the logo, tat, picture, whatever is fine. I will transfer that onto the leather, carve it and stamp it.

Padding should not be an issue.

I can pretty much dye the leather whatever color I want.

I could definitely put a bottle opener like WillPlay4food posted on a strap.

As far as the strap being one color and the logo being another, that really depends on how complex the logo is, and/or what you're thinking of for color.

• Members

Well, as I said, I'm not guaranteeing any prices right now. I am just taking a rough guess. That being said, I checked with my father and he said it was a fair estimate for a basic strap being ~$50. Obviously the price will reflect how much detail work, and specialties I have to put in.

A high quality photo of the logo, tat, picture, whatever is fine. I will transfer that onto the leather, carve it and stamp it.

Padding should not be an issue.

Coolness. I like the sounds of this.

• Members

Boy, lots of interest. I am going to look into putting in an order for leather today. Nice to see that there are a lot of different likes and dislikes. I don't want to get bored
:)
I also prefer an unfinished inside for traction, but I see others like it finished.

I am going to try and get leather ordered today, and I will start working on a HCBF strap. I'll post some updates so people can see my work, and if people don't think I suck, I'll get started.

Now, it is possible that I could save some cost by stitching the straps with a machine. What would normally take me 45 min. to do by hand can be done in like 5 minutes on a machine... but I prefer to hand stitch. I punch every single hole and I know that every single stitch is a good one.

Keep popping out ideas for things people might want to consider when ordering a strap.

I get all of my leather and supplies from the Tandy Leather Factory

Do you know of any other on line suppliers that can beat their prices?

the reason I ask is there used to be the leather factory here in Chatttown but it closed when Tandy took back control of the corporation. Now the only option I have is to buy on line.:(

45 min? dood that's smokin! are you using a stitching awl and stitching pony?

the biggest reason I don't do a lot of leather crafting is because I don't have a sewing machine.

And tooling the leather can also be very time consuming.

4 to 5 OZ tooling leather would be good for making custom straps wouldn't it?

• Members

I get all of my leather and supplies from the
Tandy Leather Factory

Do you know of any other on line suppliers that can beat their prices?

the reason I ask is there used to be the leather factory here in Chatttown but it closed when Tandy took back control of the corporation. Now the only option I have is to buy on line.
:(

45 min? dood that's smokin! are you using a stitching awl and stitching pony?

the biggest reason I don't do a lot of leather crafting is because I don't have a sewing machine.

And tooling the leather can also be very time consuming.

4 to 5 OZ tooling leather would be good for making custom straps wouldn't it?

I think my father orders his leather through Weaver, but there's lots of places to get leather, including Fee-bay, if you want to go that route.

I was not implying that I could stitch a strap in 45 minutes, I just meant that the conversion is huge. If I hand stitch it, it's going to take much longer, but, IMO, it is a much higher quality. I know that every stitch it super clean.

We have a couple of horses that we use for stitching, yes. And I do it all by hand with an awl. It's possible, to save time and money for people, I might run the straps through an unthreaded machine, that way I will only have to stitch. That would save some money... but I really prefer doing it myself, especially if I am doing a couple pieces of leather, just to make sure everything lines up perfectly.

4-5oz should be fine.

• Members

I think my father orders his leather through Weaver, but there's lots of places to get leather, including Fee-bay, if you want to go that route.

I was not implying that I could stitch a strap in 45 minutes, I just meant that the conversion is huge. If I hand stitch it, it's going to take much longer, but, IMO, it is a much higher quality. I know that every stitch it super clean.

We have a couple of horses that we use for stitching, yes. And I do it all by hand with an awl. It's possible, to save time and money for people, I might run the straps through an unthreaded machine, that way I will only have to stitch. That would save some money... but I really prefer doing it myself, especially if I am doing a couple pieces of leather, just to make sure everything lines up perfectly.

Thnx for the heads up:thu:

stitching is definately the biggest pain in the ass especially thick tooling leather that requires punching holes before sewing can even start not to mention is hell on the fingers I am sure you know what I mean.

• Members

And still want to attach one to a strap. But the strap will fold before you get enough torque to actually open a bottle. You'd need a loooong stiff piece of steel inside or behind the strap to keep it rigid enough to work.

Yeah, I know, I've tried all kinds of wacky {censored}. Trust me.

I was thinking of either two-handed use, or get one of those elastic keyrings and attach the opener to that so that it's on a leash of sorts. :D

• Members

Don't worry about it being a HCBF strap. Just make a GOOD strap that any bassist/guitarist would want.

I want to make a HCBF strap. If I am going to make an effort to make a custom strap, I need to customize it in some way. This lets people here know what my objective is, and see the finished product... which will let them make an educated decision about whether or not I am capable of providing what they want in a strap.

• Members

HCBF logo? Anyone?

Bueller?
Bueller?

Contact the site admins and ask for a high rez file of the logo, I am sure someone has it on hand. If you need it converted to a diff file type, background removed or whatever just let me know and I'll turn it right around for you.

Archived