Let's see your 6 string basses and hear 'bout them !

The Unknown

• Members

roscoe4.jpg

Roscoe SKB 3006

Burl Maple top, maple board, Bart electronics. Currently sporting DR XL Nickles. Smokin'!:cool: It sounds kind of like a p-bass on steroids, but balanced across all strings. I've played jazz, rock, funk and used it in a pit orchestra, too. Great bass.

• Members

Info at the bottom...

sr406.jpg

My SR406. This is the second one I've owned - and if you want a six-string bass I think used ones are an exceptional value. The pickups are as good as most but the preamp leaves a lot to be desired.

This one has KA soapbars and the preamp has been removed - replaced by a pair of 5-way coil select switches and a no-load tone control I made myself with a drop of clear fingernail polish. At RR's suggestion I installed a Graphtech nut and have been happy I did.

Folks who know the bass know the SR406 is reasonably stiff for a 34" bass, string spacing is tight and the neck's fairly fast.

Here's a pic of the control cavity - SR owners will note the control layout is pretty far from standard. I left all the wires long so I could replace any component without disturbing any of the others - and the no-load tone control is sitting under that big Orange Drop cap.

control-cavity.jpg

• Members

Okay, I'm not a six-string player. At all. But, I did have a few rounds with this one. Yummm! Seductive! Almost got it at one point. :p:D

Nice!

namm_legendVIMIDI.jpg

Okay ~ too many knobs. I agree. This one is also MIDI-equipped. The basic bass is the single split-rail mag pickup plus RMC bridge saddle piezos, with an Aggie OB3 pre-amp. 5 knobs, like nearly any active bass.

• Members

fretless20060903-001.jpg

I forgot to "talk 'bout them" ;)

It's a 2004 Benavente 51 series fretless. It's an Ash slab body with a maple neck and an acrylicized birdseye maple board. It's loaded with custom wound dual coil and 3 band pre made by John Suhr. It was built to my specs and has met or exceeded my expectations in every way.

• Members

You win the "First reasonably-priced bass posted on this thread award" !

I was looking and liking the SR706 and BTB models... gotta try them !

There are plenty of reasonably-priced great basses out there. A lot of them are in the used market but I *think* I paid $325 for the SR406 with a hardshell case and it looks new. I tried older BTBs and didn't care much for them - they sound and play great but just didn't fit me. They might fit you just fine ;-)

• Members

orangerigyi8.jpg

My Modulus Quantum 6. Purchased in 1985, no serial number, through body neck, three barts (single coil/P/Humbucker) with 9v active pre. Extremely thin neck - string spacing 11mm at nut/13mm at bridge. Sounds great, plays great!!
:thu:

:love:

• Members

pa140163ol8.jpg

My Warwick Thumb bolt on. Loaded with Seymour Duncan Basslines, 1999 model. Got it about 18 months ago, used. Paid a decent price for it. I love the sound, and while the neck took getting used to compared to my previous Ibanez BTB 6, I'm really liking it. It's a very well made instrument, and while the picture doesn't do it justice, the wood grain looks great.

Archived