Bag End 115 vs Mesa Engineering 115

txbass68

• Members

I am considering either a used Bag End S15B-D or a Mesa Engineering PowerHouse 115. Which would you recommend? I can get them used for between $300 and $400.:poke: I will be playing Texas Country/ Southern Rock and Doom Metal.

The Mesa will have an s*%&-ton of more low end, can handle a lot of power and will also weigh about 20 lbs more IIRC. The Bad Ends are small cabs and are very middy, with a low end that declines very quickly. Bag Ends are neat cabs, but probably about the last choice for any music with "Doom" in the title.

• Members

Gotcha on the Doom part. Thanks for the input.:thu:

The Mesa will have an s*%&-ton of more low end, can handle a lot of power and will also weigh about 20 lbs more IIRC. The Bad Ends are small cabs and are very middy, with a low end that declines very quickly. Bag Ends are neat cabs, but probably about the last choice for any music with "Doom" in the title.

• Members

I wasn't aware that they changed drivers.

To my knowledge, only the VERY first Powerhouse designed cabs had EV drivers.

Mesa started to develop their own PH drivers in-house maybe a year later? Maybe a little more.

I had a 210 w/ the EV's in it, and honestly don't remember it being any night and day difference from current designs. And I've had a good many PH cabs over the years... ;)

The PH115 is a beast though. I loved it. Friggin' Mesa and their 215 @ 8 ohms designs!?!? Wtf, yo!! 2xPH115 would be {censored}in' sweet mang. :thu:

• Members

Well, I may just combine the Diesel with the Powerhouse in a road case and let it go.:) Thanks for you input guys.:thu:

To my knowledge, only the VERY first Powerhouse designed cabs had EV drivers.

Mesa started to develop their own PH drivers in-house maybe a year later? Maybe a little more.

I had a 210 w/ the EV's in it, and honestly don't remember it being any night and day difference from current designs. And I've had a good many PH cabs over the years...
;)

The PH115 is a beast though. I loved it. Friggin' Mesa and their 215 @ 8 ohms designs!?!? Wtf, yo!! 2xPH115 would be {censored}in' sweet mang.
:thu:

• Members

+1

Unless, you want to cut through the Doom nicely. Then, Bag End. :)

• Members

Oh, hell no!

B-D, 40 hz +/- 6 dbs. They also weigh about the same, with the BagEnd heavier by six pounds. The BagEnd is bigger, though, that the Powerhouse. 103db at 1w/1m. BagEnd should have much more lows that the Powerhouse.

Compare apples to apples. He is not looking at the S15-D. Two completely different creatures.

• Members

Oh, hell no!

B-D, 40 hz +/- 6 dbs. They also weigh about the same, with the BagEnd heavier by six pounds. The BagEnd is bigger, though, that the Powerhouse. 103db at 1w/1m. BagEnd should have much more lows that the Powerhouse.

Compare apples to apples. He is not looking at the S15-D. Two completely different creatures.

Ah, my mistake on the model. I doubt there would be a lot of difference in the lows though, I don't always trust low end specs like that though. The Mesa is still rated for 200 more watts.

• Members

Who needs more watts with better efficiency? 103 db at 1w/1m. Sounds noticably louder than 97 db at 1w/1m.

EDIT: I have TWO of these cabinets. I've never used both together except outdoors, with a Peavey Max700 head bumping it. Outstanding lows, and great mids and highs, too.

• Members

How about the Mesa 1516? There is a guy with one for sell not from from my house. Could the handle the Doom Stuff alright?

It could, but I'm not a huge fan of the design.

It's heavier than a bitch, not that efficient and definitely not as killer as their 115 designs.

• Members

You said you have two of these cabinets. Which ones. The Bag End or the Mesa?

Who needs more watts with better efficiency? 103 db at 1w/1m. Sounds noticably louder than 97 db at 1w/1m.

EDIT: I have TWO of these cabinets. I've never used both together except outdoors, with a Peavey Max700 head bumping it. Outstanding lows, and great mids and highs, too.

• Members

You said you have two of these cabinets. Which ones. The Bag End or the Mesa?

*looks over shoulder...logging in at work...*

Two S15B-D's. Very good cab. Very deep. Still plenty of highs and mids. I usually use them separately, one only, in a theater that holds 230+ without p.a. support. It fills the room with no problem and with little wattage.

I have used both outdoors, and it was heaven!

• Members

OK, thanks. I might get it and try it out. If I do not like it I will just try and turn it for what I wined up paying for it.:thu: I am running it with the 700RB II.

*looks over shoulder...logging in at work...*

Two S15B-D's. Very good cab. Very deep. Still plenty of highs and mids. I usually use them separately, one only, in a theater that holds 230+ without p.a. support. It fills the room with no problem and with little wattage.

I have used both outdoors, and it was heaven!

Archived