Any DIY threads about refinishing a bass body?

LanEvo

• Members

Hi, guys.

I have a 5-string SX Jazz bass with a '70s vibe (ash body, bound & blocked maple neck). I bought it as a project bass. I de-fretted it and finished the fingerboard in polyurethane lacquer. I've upgraded the wiring. Done a proper set-up. I love the sound and feel.I 'm going to drop some new pickups into it just for the heck of it (I have some Bartolinis and EMG Selects sitting in my parts bin).

Now I want to try my hand at refinishing the body. It's made of 3 strips of ash. It's pretty ugly. I've always wanted a brown 1970s Jazz Bass after seeing one in a music store many years ago. By buddy also has a late-70s Strat with the same brown body & black pickguard combo.

So, any ideas?

• Members

Lol. Thanks guys. I was just hoping someone could point me towards any threads or websites they found particularly useful.

In keeping with the low-budget nature of the project, I'd be especially interested in getting some info on using Krylon rattle-cans for this purpose :thu:

• Members
Reranch.com has some finishing 101 type pages. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Thanks so much! The last link looks especially helpful. This will be my first time finishing wood in anything besides tung oil. I wanted to know what I'm in for.

• Members

redfan was a lot nicer than I was, I just mentioned a site, he goes the extra mile and lists links :]

reranch has some awesome stuff, can't wait to get some of their dye and do a transparent purple burst :]

Evo, what would you like to know about rattle cans? they can be great if you used properly, I've done several basses with spray cans, transparent finishes, bursts, solids.

• Members

Evo, what would you like to know about rattle cans? they can be great if you used properly, I've done several basses with spray cans, transparent finishes, bursts, solids.

Well, I've used rattle-cans to finish small automotive parts. Just clean off the corrosion with ScotchBrite pads followed by some brake cleaner. Then rust-free automotive primer, then a couple of coats of color, then a coat of clear.

But I've never painted wood before. I have no idea how to prep the surface. I don't know whether you need to wet-sand between coats. Etc.

The basic plan is to shoot the bass with a uniform coat of brown. No transparent finishes, bursts, or anything like that. Just solid brown. I may also paint the face of the headstock. Haven't decided on that for sure yet.

• Members

you want to sand the wood smooth... the prime it, to fill the grain and seal it. From there , the painting process is the same as anything else. wet sanding in between coats will give you a deeper looking finish. for a solid color, I probably wouldn't wetsand in between color coats, personally, but I would wetsand between the last color coat and the clear. and wetsand AT LEAST the last clear coat if not every few. Remember if you ever use metallics, do NOT wetsand metallic paint. buffing is ok, but wetsanding doesn't have the same effect on metallic

Archived