Record players and such

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

So I have been given my dads record old record player, but it needs a new needle. I looked online, but I would prefer to get it at a store locally, but I don't know where to look. Its an old Sony, btw.

Hard to make a recommendation without some more details. I'm assuiming you're looking for a moving magnet (MM) cartridge using a standard mount (as opposed to a "P-mount") and you don't want to spend too much money.

Here are some classic choices:

Ortofon OM-5E ($55)

Sumiko Oyster ($55)

Grado "Prestige Series" Black ($60)

Look here for more details.

With a cheap-ish turntable, you'll generally want to stay away from Shure cartridges as they tend to accentuate the highs, which makes them sound harsh and noisy.

• Members

Ah crap sticks. I was hoping that this would be a cheap fix.

Thanks for reminding me of the audio input thing (funny thing is we had the radio hooked up through that input and we could never understand why it never sounded right). I used to have a power/pre stereo growing up that had that input, I gotta check my current setup.

Might just get a new one, or take my brothers (which he really doesn't use, but will complain the second I touch it)

• Members

Once you get that thing working and throw on a record, get ready for the snap crackel & pop.

I dug out an old album and threw it on the turntable a few months ago and couldn't believe all the nasty noises that came out of the scratched record. It's amazing how far technology has taken us.

• Members
Once you get that thing working and throw on a record, get ready for the snap crackel & pop.

I dug out an old album and threw it on the turntable a few months ago and couldn't believe all the nasty noises that came out of the scratched record. It's amazing how far technology has taken us.

Your forgot the rule; have a beer and a shot prior to spinning up vinyl on the turnatable. Stop and think about it, turntables were usually used at parties and that's why they sounded so much better, er, uh, back then....lol.

• Members

True About technology ...but I have a lot of records that are clean and don't make any crackle some of which are 30 odd years old. I think records out last tapes and cds. And there is nothing like pulling a record out of this big piece of art work and putting it on a turn table

• Members

Yeah, but if they are new ones.

• Members

True About technology ...but I have a lot of records that are clean and don't make any crackle some of which are 30 odd years old. I think records out last tapes and cds. And there is nothing like pulling a record out of this big piece of art work and putting it on a turn table

I like vinyl as well, even without hi-fi equipment. I'm not saying it's better than CD, just also good. Having went from early childhood in the 80's until the past few years without listening to vinyl, I'm still shocked at how good some of my records in better shape sound.

• Members

This isn't a problem if you take care of your vinyl. If it's clean and static free, then it will be totally silent. I won't even mention scratches, since they simply should not be there in the first place.

An LP that's been abused will sound like garbage. But if you know how to care for your vinyl (including how to set up and maintain your needle/cartridge) then you won't run into these kinds of problems.

• Members

I like vinyl as well, even without hi-fi equipment. I'm not saying it's better than CD, just also good. Having went from early childhood in the 80's until the past few years without listening to vinyl, I'm still shocked at how good some of my records in better shape sound.

You're also hearing the mix without the clipping and over-compression you get with CD's. It's interesting when you listen to music through a nice stereo and you can actually detect dynamics.:D

C7

Archived