Douglas B stock WPB-980 bass review...lots of pics

Bowen

• Members

OK, this is not really a fair review as this bass was bought as B stock from Rondo Music.

http://www.rondomusic.com/wpb980nt.html

Specs are at the link.

The bass was advertised as having an uncorrectable bowed neck so I thought that the parts would be worth the $99 plus shipping alone. Rondo shipped the bass in the normal quick fashion and I received it today. (I received an email stating that the bass had been delivered before I got the box from the front door to the back of the house :cool:)

Some pics fresh from the box:

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

2.jpg

The first thing that I do is check out the neck. It needs a truss rod adjustment but otherwise looks ok.

The bass has a couple of issues that probably put this one into the bargain bin.

1. A bump on the headstock

2: Pickup screws are poking out of the pickups at weird angles

3: A couple of tiny black flecks of something in the finish

3.jpg

5.jpg

The pickups are a bit low and the foam will not push the pickups against the screw heads. I need spacers. Hmm....Some erasers from my wife's last trip to the Hello Kitty store will do just fine. The pickups have Alnico magnets, you would think that would be in the product description.

8.jpg

On to the bridge:

The saddles have a locking height and intonation adjustment. The first setup is a bit of a pain because the string has to come off to adjust intonation. Other than that I like the bridge quite a bit.

7.jpg

Adjust truss rod/ set up/ adjust pickups and I'm on the way. The action is good with no buzzing, the pickups sound great. The fretwork is decent though not terribly polished, there are no sharp fret ends.

• Members

What was the issue with the neck on that? I thought about biting the bullet for the parts...but then recall that the electronics tend to be the downfall in most of the Douglas/SX basses...

Other than a truss rod adjustment there was no neck issue.

• Members

Ummm, if you bought THAT b-stock, how is it still in stock? I added to my cart even!
:confused:

I watched it for a few weeks and then jumped with the idea of using the parts. Mine is fine, screws good, no dings. I wondered why they still listed it as it made no sense that multiples would have that same bow issue so I tried to put 100 of them into my cart. The note that came up said they only had 12 in stock then (a couple of weeks ago) so my thinking is that they are clearing these out and were too lazy/busy to change the description. For $99 this is a great deal. A tiny bit of tweaking is needed but other than that mine came in just fine.

• Members

I watched it for a few weeks and then jumped with the idea of using the parts. Mine is fine, screws good, no dings. I wondered why they still listed it as it made no sense that multiples would have that same bow issue so I tried to put 100 of them into my cart. The note that came up said they only had 12 in stock then (a couple of weeks ago) so my thinking is that they are clearing these out and were too lazy/busy to change the description. For $99 this is a great deal. A tiny bit of tweaking is needed but other than that mine came in just fine.

OMG! That makes sense! :eek: However, I am now tempted to get one! :mad: I like the price, and that would be my first Rondo bass with a 3 band pre. I KNEW I shoulda stayed out of this thread! :cry:

Well, anyways congrats! That IS a nice looker, and those pups LOOK awesome, and being Alnico, I have no doubt that they do the do!

Ugh! Decisions, decisions. I already need to get RID of a bass, and I find out about this.

What do you think of the pre, BTW???

• Members

Now you've done it! :poke: I succumbed to the GAS and ordered one! Actually, when I checked the site, I saw that Rondo had black bass tuners in stock, so I ordered a set but before I checked out I took one more look at the WPB-980 and I couldn't take it anymore! :facepalm:

So now I have to get rid of TWO basses, as I was finally coming to terms with the fact that I have too many basses, and was in the process of getting rid of one.

Archived