Set up question/Buzz above 12th Fret

BottomHeavyKate

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never had a situation where i've had to shim a neck (knock on wood.) Of course, I don't usually buy basses that cost under $750 so I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

After having dinner with Kindness and talking about my fret buzz issues, all of them were resolved when i returned home by loosening truss rods. It's probably the 100% humidity here that causes it.

• Members

I've never had a situation where i've had to shim a neck (knock on wood.) Of course, I don't usually buy basses that cost under $750 so I'm thinking this may have something to do with it.

Quality basses often get shims at the factory. I have found factory shims in three of my EBMM basses, a 1980s MIJ Fender and two Lakland Skylines.

• Members

I'm using my TU-2 to set the intonation. It's no Peterson, but if you're careful you can get a very accurate intonation adjustment with it.

You know, I thought so, too - until I checked the basses I had *carefully intonated* with a TU-2... Out of 4 basses, an average of 3 strings per bass weren't intonated all that well - and a difference could definitely be heard afterwards... Think of it this way - the Strobostomp is 30x more accurate than the TU-2, sooo....

- georgestrings

• Members

You know, I thought so, too - until I checked the basses I had *carefully intonated* with a TU-2... Out of 4 basses, an average of 3 strings per bass weren't intonated all that well - and a difference could definitely be heard afterwards... Think of it this way - the Strobostomp is 30x more accurate than the TU-2, sooo....

- georgestrings

I use a TU2 to tune and intonate also... maybe I need to look into getting a strobothingy. :)

• Members

Well, inspired by this thread, I decided to shim the only bass that I've never been able to lower the action on - my '82 Gibson Victory Standard. This was my first "real bass."

Too bad I can't go back in time 15 years and tell myself to take the neck off, fold a business card in half, and put it between the neck and the pocket. I can now properly set the action with the bridge.

Live and Learn.

• Moderators

Well, inspired by this thread, I decided to shim the only bass that I've never been able to lower the action on - my '82 Gibson Victory Standard. This was my first "real bass."

Too bad I can't go back in time 15 years and tell myself to take the neck off, fold a business card in half, and put it between the neck and the pocket. I can now properly set the action with the bridge.

Live and Learn.

The good news is your self 15 years from now won't have to fret about the same thing. :thu:

Archived