Set up question/Buzz above 12th Fret

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

Let me preface this by saying that I searched the forum and apparently the search function turned up NO THREADS with string buzz or fret buzz anywhere in the title or body....

:facepalm:

I also read Kindness' set up thread again AND googled to see if I could find a quick answer.....no luck. I know there was a recent thread on this but I wasn't able to find it. Trust me - I tried.

If there is buzzing only above the 12th fret....is that generally an issue of neck bow or bridge height?

I'm assuming bridge height....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If there is buzzing only above the 12th fret....is that generally an issue of neck bow or bridge height?

Is this a bolt-on bass? If so, my money is on neck pitch (the angle of the neck relative to the body).

If you have buzzing only at the top of the neck, that's a sign that the neck is tilted too far back. The solution would be to unbolt the neck and place a small shim at the top of the neck pocket to tip the headstock forward a few degrees.

If it's a through-body or set neck, then you have bigger problems. All you can do in that case is back off (slacken) the truss rod a bit and hope that brings the neck back into position.

• Members

There's too much relief in the neck, you need to tighten the truss rod slightly.
:)

EDIT: Oh btw, the search function is borked.
:facepalm:

Are all strings buzzing above the 12th fret? If so, this is quite likely it. Tighten the truss rod 1/8 (or less, even) at a time, let it settle in, and see if this is it.

However--Won't a bass with too much neck bow start to buzz around the 7th or 8th fret? In my experience, it will.

Only buzzing above the 12th fret might mean a high fret all the way across, or a hump in the neck near the body.

Sorry if I have muddied the waters. :cry:

• Members
Yes, it could mean a hump in the neck either...

That's very unlikely with a bolt-on. The base of the neck is the strongest part and the least likely to develop a mysterious bow, hump, or twist. Again, smart money's on the neck pitch being off.

• Members

is this something that just developed ? It's not unusual for a fret to "lift" out , usually a bridge adjustment can do a quick fix if the frets are seated properly and well dressed , a neck shim is sometimes needed .

this is for the new bass I got yesterday. I didn't have time for a full set up so I dropped the saddles a bit. No buzzing from the nut to the 12th. I prefer lower action than what I was able to get so I'm thinking I'll drop in a shim tonight.

• Members

this is for the new bass I got yesterday. I didn't have time for a full set up so I dropped the saddles a bit. No buzzing from the nut to the 12th. I prefer lower action than what I was able to get so I'm thinking I'll drop in a shim tonight.

it may be shimmed already if so take it out .;)

• Moderators

:lol:
Now I'm giggling....

Thank you!

If you go back and read the last two paragraphs of the second section of my setup thread (link in signature) you'll see where I address this issue. :thu:

edit: I started writing a shimming thread a few months back, but never finished it because I wanted to take pictures. I think I should probably finish that up soon and post it.

Archived