Will this cab make my Cube-100 pound?

-MBro-

• Members

I love the sound and porabilty of my Roland Bass Cube-100 but I recently payed a very large venue and the band was complaining about lack of low end on the stage. The cube has an 8 ohm maximum speaker out so I figured if I bought one of these that has an input rating of 4 ohms I could rock the bigger stages when I have to.

SVT-810E_LG.jpg

• Members

I suppose I could rent one. Seriously would even a smaller 410 or 115 cab make a big difference to my little cube -100

You'd be all 8 up if you plugged that cube into a fridge.:D

If you want more mustard, you gotta buy more mustard, unfortunately. A 300w+ amp into a nice 4x10 will get you exactly what you're looking for, IMO.

And by "8ohm minimum", that means you can't go lower than 8ohms. Running it into a 4ohm cab will cause it to overheat, and potentially release magical clouds of smoke.

C7

• Members

It is 8 ohm max. This means a 4 or 8 ohm cab would work well? The cube is very small and I think its 12'' speaker and compact enclosure really limit what it can do.

You are not getting it:facepalm:

you cannot use a 4 OHM cabinet with an 8 OHM amp prriod

forget all about the cube.

go buy a 300 watt amp and a 4x10 cab or a 410 combo

something like this will suffice

302731.jpg

OR this

302726.jpg

548888.jpg

• Members

I love the sound and porabilty of my Roland Bass Cube-100 but I recently payed a very large venue and the band was complaining about lack of low end on the stage. The cube has an 8 ohm maximum speaker out so I figured if I bought one of these that has an input rating of 4 ohms I could rock the bigger stages when I have to.

SVT-810E_LG.jpg

Why would you figure that?

You don't recognize the 'fridge' as a bit extreme?

Your amp is only 100 watts. It's a great amp that I recommend regularly for a practice amp because it will get you thru small scale to medium gigs...and sound great. Once you start hitting medium gigs, however, the feature in question- it's extra output- is for adding another 1x12", 2x10" or 1x15" cab...something small scale like that(2x8", etc..).

The power section of the Cube simply isn't designed to push a big cab like an 8x10"(2x15 or 4x12") effectively.

If you really like your Cube, take it and try driving a few different small cabs to hear what matches up best with the built in 12" driver.

• Members

It is 8 ohm max. This means a 4 or 8 ohm cab would work well? The cube is very small and I think its 12'' speaker and compact enclosure really limit what it can do.

Your amp clearly says 8 ohms max for the external speaker.

As for the amps limitations, it's only unable to do larger scale stuff. It's great for practice, sensible rehearsals, accompanying acoustic players such as cafe gigs, worship gigs, etc... The Cube 100 is light, very compact and very full featured...not to mention sounds great.

Don't get bummed. You've got a great small amp for small scale stuff. You may need a 2nd rig for large scale stuff.

• Members

Why would you figure that?

You don't recognize the 'fridge' as a bit extreme?

Your amp is only 100 watts. It's a great amp that I recommend regularly for a practice amp because it will get you thru small scale to medium gigs...and sound great. Once you start hitting medium gigs, however, the feature in question- it's extra output- is for adding another 1x12", 2x10" or 1x15" cab...something small scale like that(2x8", etc..).

The power section of the Cube simply isn't designed to push a big cab like an 8x10"(2x15 or 4x12") effectively.

If you really like your Cube, take it and try driving a few different small cabs to hear what matches up best with the built in 12" driver.

I don't follow your logic.... are you saying that the cube's 100 watts are "small combo watts" as opposed to say a ampeg v4-b head's 100 watts?:cop:

or possibly he will damage his new fridge by underpowering it?:poke:

I admit dragging a fridge around would be a bit extreme, but aside from the portability problem, what's really the issue here? :idk:

• Members

I don't follow your logic.... are you saying that the cube's 100 watts are "small combo watts" as opposed to say a ampeg v4-b head's 100 watts?
:cop:

I admit dragging a fridge around would be a bit extreme, but aside from the portability problem, what's really the issue here?
:idk:

First of all, no, underpowering won't damage the cab. User ignorance could however. Watts are watts, whether they are "small combo" watts or tube watts. I'm saying that he is vastly wasting the potential of that cab.

• Members

I don't follow your logic.... are you saying that the cube's 100 watts are "small combo watts" as opposed to say a ampeg v4-b head's 100 watts?
:cop:

I admit dragging a fridge around would be a bit extreme, but aside from the portability problem, what's really the issue here?
:idk:

The biggest issue here is he does not understand ohm ratings!.......ah screw it, yes get the fridge and use it but make sure to crank your amp all the way up when using it. (waits for thread about why his amp made a strange noise and some smoke came out and now it smells burnt and won't make any noise):rolleyes::facepalm:

• Members

With 100 watts to start with, adding speakers will only get you so far in regard to increasing volume.

Doubling your speaker surface area adds about 3db in volume (barely noticeable). Doubling your wattage adds about the same.

So, I think that if you added a 2 X 12 I think that you would get an increase of about

6db which the human ear hears as roughly a doubling of volume.

But, from what other posters have indicated about your "Cube", get an 8ohm speaker cab.

You could get the same effect by increasing your wattage to 300.

The advantage to increasing your power is that by adding cabs later you can increase your volume even more as your venues get bigger.

I think if you were going to increase the volume any more then double you would need to add both speakers and power (wattage). I personally would opt for this two prong solution for the reasons stated above.

This is my opinion based on an admittedly limited knowledge base on this subject.

I yield to the "sound techies" on this forum to determine if I am correct or not.

Archived