can i get some help

fannedfretbass

• Members

i restrung my bass. its buzzing like crazy. ive never adjusted the trussrod on a bass with 2 trussrods. how do i do it? adjust both the same? will the neck twist? whats the deal?

The neck will twist if you're adjusting the rods opposite to one another, but as long as you do it equally on both rods and you go in small increments, you should be fine.

Check the FAQ section for Kindness' setup thread, or wait for him to post in this thread, he's usually all over this {censored}. He might be eating or taking a dump right now, I dunno.

C7

• Moderators

Check the FAQ section for Kindness' setup thread, or wait for him to post in this thread, he's usually all over this {censored}. He might be eating or taking a dump right now, I dunno.

C7

I was fixing a bunch of people's broken {censored}, including my own. :mad:

Now, before I go take a dump and then eat (I'm also going to shower and brush my teeth, since I know you care C7), look at my setup thread. Read the section on setting relief about 17 times. It appears most people read it but don't pay attention so they don't understand how to know when they have the correct amount of relief.

Then, with a dual rod system, go slowly. Test both sides of the board. Try to keep the relief even. Remember to bad mouth any idiots that use dual truss rods on normal sized necks.

• Moderators

arite i turned both a quarter turn clock wise and raised the action alittle bit, still buzzing. nipple shot to whoever gives me a solution

I've already given you a solution, but I'll pass on the nipple shot.

• Members

Kindness: I just read your setup advice, great stuff - very concise and informative :thu:

HOWEVER

Some basses (I'm mainly thinking of older Fenders here - I'm sure there are others though) require the neck to be removed before one can adjust the relief, which obviously means that there won't be string tension on the neck when this is done. What procedure would you recommend or what advice would you give in this situation?

• Moderators

Kindness: I just read your setup advice, great stuff - very concise and informative
:thu:

HOWEVER

Some basses (I'm mainly thinking of older Fenders here - I'm sure there are others though) require the neck to be removed before one can adjust the relief, which obviously means that there won't be string tension on the neck when this is done. What procedure would you recommend or what advice would you give in this situation?

It's a pain, but there is no difference in how you do it. You check it to make sure the buzzing is even up and down the neck. If it isn't, you remove the neck and adjust the relief accordingly. Then you string it back up and test it again. On and on until you get it right.

• Members

It's a pain, but there is no difference in how you do it. You check it to make sure the buzzing is even up and down the neck. If it isn't, you remove the neck and adjust the relief accordingly. Then you string it back up and test it again. On and on until you get it right.

Cool, thanks - I was hoping there might be some shortcut, but trial and error it is then. Thanks again :thu:

• Members

Several years ago I watched the Fender dealer in Vancouver adjust the truss in my Geddy Lee Jazz when I took it in - it had a maxxed out truss rod (in the earlier ones this wasn't an uncommon issue).

He detuned the strings, and loosened the bolts, lifting up on the neck until he had enough access. Is taking the neck off completely too extreme?

Also, by the way, Kindness, I read the setup tutorial... thank you so much!

I did both my Jazz basses following your steps. The relief was too much on one, and too little on the other, and now there's a noticeable improvement.

What are your thoughts on loosening the strings before doing the truss adjustment? Is string tension ever an issue with the adjustment?

• Moderators

What are your thoughts on loosening the strings before doing the truss adjustment? Is string tension ever an issue with the adjustment?

String tension is an issue for the measurement process. It can also be an issue if you are tightening the truss rod since the string tension is acting against the truss rod (loosening the rod the tension assists the neck movement). I have no problem with tightening a truss rod under normal string tension in most cases, but giving each string just a bit of slack can't hurt.

Archived