has anyone ever...

NitroBobby

• Members

upgraded the pickups on an Ibanez GSR 190? it's the bass that comes with the jumpstart pack. i guess the real question would be, is it worth it to upgrade this bass or should i be looking at buying a good used one? i like the way the bass feels, but i'm not entirely happy with the sound. the knobs are a bit crappy as well, so they'd need to be changed too. there's a dead spot at the top of one and the tone knob is 'crunchy'. any one have any input here?

• Members

If you otherwise like the bass, changing pups and replaceing the pots is good upgrade. Pot change since you say they are scratchy. You could try spray tuner cleaner like radio shack sells to remove scratchies. However my experience has been that this type of fix is ussually only temporary. And it wont clean any corrosion that might be present in the pot which further deteriorates its performance. The latter is often the cause of once fuller sounding basses sounding thinner once corrosion sets in for the pot/s. But yeah, if you like the bass overall cept for tone, pup change is best choice imo.

• Members

you can go for the upgrade..and if you don't like it (the tone problem could be the bass/wood itself so a upgrade may not change very much) you have yourself a set of pickups to upgrade another bass..probably a used one if you buy one to replace your GSR190.

so if you don't blow your savings on the pickups go for it..if you are spending hard earned cash you can try a few basses to see if you like one better.

Archived