Bass Strings - Please recommend a brand

tenoken

• Members

I've got a jazz bass and a p-bass.

I've been using D'Addario's for a while, but I want something different/better. I rarely use a pick and I play a lot of R&B, blues and garage rock. 45-105 is my gauge.

I tried a new set of Swing 66 RotoSound's the other day and they felt solid, but a bit "dry". Make sense? Maybe they break in?

What do you think?

• Members

Flats are a bit too slick, and I like the growl and feel of round wounds. But sometimes they can be too stiff/dry/mechanical feeling...

Any endorsements for DR, or any other brand? Who else in here uses Rotosounds?

• Members

It depends on what tone you want. IMO flats would be great for R&B and blues. I'm in a blues band and I use TI Jazz flats. As flats go, they are fairly bright. They are expensive but last for years, with the tone getting better with time. They are low tension though, which does not suit everyone.

• Members

You will get as many recommendations as posts in this thread. You probably are just going to have to try many brands until you find your favorite.

Rounds, in my experience, take 3-4 hours of playing to fully break in.

Sounds like you might want a bit more warmth than the D'Addarios and Rotos you have been using? I might suggest Fender 7250 or 7150 strings. Maybe DR Sunbeams. The "warmest" nickel strings I have found.

• Members

Flats are a bit too slick, and I like the growl and feel of round wounds. But sometimes they can be too stiff/dry/mechanical feeling...

Any endorsements for DR, or any other brand? Who else in here uses Rotosounds?

I played Rotosound nickel rounds for years. I switched to webstrings about five years ago. The nickel round-wounds sound great and are a good value.

• Members

I played Rotosound nickel rounds for years. I switched to webstrings about five years ago. The nickel round-wounds sound great and are a good value.

Do you mean the Roto Swingbass pure nickels? Great strings. They get lost amid all the Rotosound Stainless fuss.

• Members

DR Lo-Rider SS...they sound great and last a long time. I'm very happy with them.

I used to use Rotos a while back, but they always felt dirty like you mention...and they start sounding old and dull within a few days and sometimes hours. I hated them...

I also used to use Ernie Balls...and they felt great, but they didn't last as long as the DR's do IME.

• Members

I've got D'Addario Chromes on my P-bass, Ken Smith ground wounds on my fretless, and Ken Smith stainless rounds on my Stingray5.

I'm either not that picky about strings, or it's just that I go with recommended manufacturers. I've had very good experiences with DR High Beams, Dean Markley Blue Steels & SR2000s, and GHS Briteflats as well.

• Members

I used a clearance-bin set of Spectors, before I went into the studio to to bass tracks. I LOVED how they felt and played, and everyone LOVED how they sounded on the tracks. Big, deep, beefy, with lots of higher-end content that was NOT clackity-clacky.

I'd also say to try some Elixirs, as they're on my new bass and feel great. Hold their tuning perfectly (though I attribute that to the bass!) and feel and play great as well.

Next packs of strings I get will be either Spectors or Elixirs. I'm done with GHS Bass Boomers, no more for me.

• Members

i've played for years and i still try numerous string brands just to try something new.

Dean Markley Blue Steels sound awesome but have a real different feel to many other string brands. that being said, i have the Nickel Plated Blue Steels on my bass now.

and i like flats on a P, but not on my P.

• Members

DR string, especially the Lo-Riders are my fav strings so far... but theyre not cheap, and i like new strings, so i cant afford replacing them as often as i would like.

i've been using Dunlop Steels and i've been loving every bit of them so far.... i also really really like the D'addario ProSteels.

i actually like the Rotosounds, but i kill a set in just a few hours, so it's definitly not worth the money for me.

• Members

I've got a jazz bass and a p-bass.

I've been using D'Addario's for a while, but I want something different/better. I rarely use a pick and I play a lot of R&B, blues and garage rock. 45-105 is my gauge.

I tried a new set of Swing 66 RotoSound's the other day and they felt solid, but a bit "dry". Make sense? Maybe they break in?

What do you think?

Those Rotosounds will sound just right in the mix. Geetarists tell me all the time they like my tone and I use Rotosound jazz flats that are never coming off my bass. One set is 5 years old....just breaking in....

Archived