Rust on pole pieces

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

a little rust is no biggie... all my
{censored}
was rusted when I lived in Florida.

Good to hear you got alot of iron in your diet.:facepalm:

Kinda odd though, because I live inland, and my barometer in my nose (i.e. spontaneous nose bleeds) says that its been consistently dry :idk:

I believe I should be fine.

• Members

Can you paint pole pieces with no ill effect???

(sorry for the derail)

Yes, think of the pup makers who encase them in carved wood, that's much thicker than paint. Others encase them fully in plastic, again, thicker than paint. I'd say you'd be fine. I've done it, couldn't hear a diff after.

• Members

Paint has no effect on the magnetic fields of the magnet.

Nor does plastic.

Nor does wood.

My adv. electronics class was awesome. I brought in some totally crap pickups for the perfesser to go crazy with. He had an O-scope hooked up in seconds! I think he loved doing this experiment. We put business cards, shoelaces, a Bic lighter, and I think a girl's compact, into the field, with no effects. But put tin foil and stainless steel, a little effect. And putting a steel nail, HUGE effects!

• Members

Paint has no effect on the magnetic fields of the magnet.

Nor does plastic.

Nor does wood.

My adv. electronics class was awesome. I brought in some totally crap pickups for the perfesser to go crazy with. He had an O-scope hooked up in seconds! I think he loved doing this experiment. We put business cards, shoelaces, a Bic lighter, and I think a girl's compact, into the field, with no effects. But put tin foil and stainless steel, a little effect. And putting a steel nail, HUGE effects!

How did it sound different though? Curious the diff a chrome pup cover makes over a plastic one suddenly.

• Members

I think chrome is non-ferrous, isn't it? Would that make a difference?

I would guess that pickup covers are made of either aluminum or non-ferrous stainless steel... correct? Neither of these would affect an electromagnetic field (at least very minimally).

• Members

I would guess that pickup covers are made of either aluminum or non-ferrous stainless steel... correct? Neither of these would affect an electromagnetic field (at least very minimally).

Not aluminum and doubtful they are SS, don't look or feel right. I'm sure there is a spec somewhere on SD, Gibson, someones website.

• Moderators

Some pickups are entirely enclosed inside a copper foil for shielding effects. There aren't many materials you couldn't use as a cover if you wanted.

Archived