Please tell me what is wrong with these people

LouSpaceMonkey

• Members

So, here's my CL Add:

Hey,

We are or at least trying to be a Heavy Metal band.

We have Drums and Bass. We are looking for a

guitarist who plays in the vain of:

Iron Maiden

Pantera

Megadeth

Queensryche

Dio, Lamb of God,

etc.

basically something heavy, that's got a groove to it, with a

bit of a progressive edge.

If your interested email back. thanks for your

time

and I get this from people.....

I am a 19/female/live inVA I have been writings songs since I was 12,I also sing punk/postpunk/garage/metal/alternative/grunge very interested in getting a band started,I BELIEVE THAT THE MORE YOU PRACTICE AND SET A GOAL FOR YOURSELF THE BETTER THE BAND WILL BE,and you have to truly enjoy music because success doesnt happen overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Reply, even though we are looking for a guitarist.

Hmm,

Well, I gotta say we don't have a problem playing with you if

you don't mind the age difference. see below and email back if

you're interested.

Fist let me say we are in our late 30

• Members

So, here's my CL Add:

At what point did I say, "Hey me and my drummer what to join your project"?

I don't care what you have, I don't even care if your the best guitarist in the area. You are joining my band, I am not joining yours. Please do not dictate the terms of the intro/audition.

I think I laid it out pretty clear without being an ass, what the hell is wrong with these people?
:mad:

Well the 1st one is a timewaster, I'm sure like the rest of us you've met many before so no surprises there.

Not sure what's getting you worked up about the 2nd one though. Your ad suggests to me that you are putting a band together, rather than recruiting for YOUR band, and this Mike fella seems to be interested in collaborating.

Don't understand what's upsetting you about his reply?

• Members

Not sure what's getting you worked up about the 2nd one though. Your ad suggests to me that you are putting a band together, rather than recruiting for YOUR band, and this Mike fella seems to be interested in collaborating.

Don't understand what's upsetting you about his reply?

+1.

Your ad sounds like two guys looking for a guitarist, wanting to form a band. It doesn't read like an existing band just looking to replace a member.

• Members

What they said.

Having said that, we've posted CL ads when looking for a new singer or band to gig with, and get the most ridiculous responses. We're quite obviously a heavy rock band, and get reggae rap, goth, punk, etc. bands all emailing us to do a show.

• Members

The 19yr old girl says "I ALSO sing." Does that mean she's a guitarist who has the added benefit of singing?

One concern that I have: when you start with "What's wrong with these people?" It says something about the filter between you and other people. Your "what's wrong with these people?" filter.

I hear something innocent; maybe naive in her writing. I think she's deserving of more empathy than contempt.

Also, your commitment is to pulling a band together. Now you're distracted with "what's wrong with the people." Let that go. Those people could be networking opportunites or simply let them know you don't sense a good fit. Or, ask them questions.

• Members

The 19yr old girl says "I ALSO sing." Does that mean she's a guitarist who has the added benefit of singing?

One concern that I have: when you start with "What's wrong with these people?" It says something about the filter between you and other people. Your "what's wrong with these people?" filter.

I hear something innocent; maybe naive in her writing. I think she's deserving of more empathy than contempt.

Also, your commitment is to pulling a band together. Now you're distracted with "what's wrong with the people." Let that go. Those people could be networking opportunites or simply let them know you don't sense a good fit. Or, ask them questions.

You're the stoniest sober dude I've ever dealt with.:D

C7

• Members

I think my problem is this:

It's not so much, I don't/or am not willing t play with people, but I have laid down the ground rules here, we meet people for an "interview" before we audition, that's the way this band does things. Now I got a guitarist is trying to dictate the terms of the meet. It's like if your were going to an interview, and company x said, "meet us at our corporate office in ....and you said no, I don't think so, I got all this cool stuff here at home, you meet me here."

Also, I really don't have any malice to the 19 year old, at all, beside the fact she's ignorant ( in the text book since of the word, not knowing but willing to learn) audacity to snub us with out hearing us, then ask to help her do a demo, WTF?

• Members

Oh, craigslist...

Ad: "I'm 32 and looking to ..."

Response: "Dude, you're too old."

Ad: "Bassist and drummer looking for guitarist. We play heavy metal..."

Response: "I've been playing for 15 years and can play every Santana song ever made..."

These are fake, of course, but I've had zero luck on craigslist.

• Members

Oh, craigslist...

Ad: "I'm 32 and looking to ..."

Response: "Dude, you're too old."

Ad: "Bassist and drummer looking for guitarist. We play heavy metal..."

Response: "I've been playing for 15 years and can play every Santana song ever made..."

These are fake, of course, but I've had zero luck on craigslist.

Yeah, cuz Mick Mars, wasn't like 800 yrs old when he joined MC and they made it :facepalm:

Jebus, I just want to get a band together of people who like metal and want to play out, and be half way serious about it, without dictating the terms of the audition. Sh1t, I'll bend to majority rule, but right now this is our project and to tell the truth, I would never come up for an audition and try to dictate the place and time???. DO you guy really think I'm over reacting here?

• Members

I'm so glad I found a good band (again).

After my first audition.

:)

houston craigslist must be different. i got three auditions within a week and joined the second band i auditioned with - within two weeks of moving here. did our first gig two weeks later. :thu:

• Members

It's not so much, I don't/or am not willing t play with people, but I have laid down the ground rules here, we meet people for an "interview" before we audition, that's the way this band does things. Now I got a guitarist is trying to dictate the terms of the meet. It's like if your were going to an interview, and company x said, "meet us at our corporate office in ....and you said no, I don't think so, I got all this cool stuff here at home, you meet me here."

Honestly, if I thought my bargaining position were strong enough, then yeah I would (In fact I did essentially dictate terms last year because I had two offers on the table. It wasn't heavy handed or extreme, but I was able to alter the timing to accommodate both offers). Plenty of people do in fact negotiate/alter/dictate terms in job negotiations or otherwise.

If he's willing to toss you aside if you don't meet his terms, why should he agree to all of yours? Because you stated them first? :confused:

He's not being rude, and he's not being insulting. He's just stating what he wants (just as you have), if you both find yourselves unwilling to compromise, then you'll know right away that you're not right for each other...I would see that as a positive.

The alternative is if he hides what he really wants in order to get the gig, and then is unhappy with the situation and tries to force changes 6 months into practices...That seems way worse to my mind.

• Members

I think my problem is this:

Also, I really don't have any malice to the 19 year old, at all, beside the fact she's ignorant ( in the text book since of the word, not knowing but willing to learn) audacity to snub us with out hearing us, then ask to help her do a demo, WTF?

Where do you read her snub? I can guess where you're reading it, and if I'm correct, there are a couple of ways to interpret her words.

Is it the point where she talks about setting goals, finding people who play well, and working hard?

Regarding the guy who wanted to change the "terms" after you laid out the "ground rules." You're languaging of this is awfully stiff. And without the entire context of the situation, we can only guess at what you're encountering. So, here's what I'm getting so far.

I agree with King Kashue. The guy is making a counter-offer. But I think you're reading it as he's trying to bend your will. Maybe he's trying to bend your will, and he's an asshole who goes around doing that to everyone in his life. Maybe he's simply making a counter-offer. Right now, I don't have enough information to say what his intention is. All we have is some words from the guy.

If it's truly against some formal ground rules, that you do something other than what you presented, then tell him that it's against some serious rules, and you could get into serious trouble with the FCC, FDA, SEC, PTA, ABA, or some entity. But I doubt that you can get into serious trouble.

Yes. I'm getting an image of you that you're awfully stiff. I'd be uncomfortable asking questions around you ... even if it meant something could be better.

Then again, for me, you're just words on a computer screen and I'm painting in all of this other stuff. You could really be an ogre; or you could be someone who's naive and needs to trust people and their intentions a little more.

• Members

Where do you read her snub? I can guess where you're reading it, and if I'm correct, there are a couple of ways to interpret her words.

Is it the point where she talks about setting goals, finding people who play well, and working hard?

Regarding the guy who wanted to change the "terms" after you laid out the "ground rules." You're languaging of this is awfully stiff. And without the entire context of the situation, we can only guess at what you're encountering. So, here's what I'm getting so far.

I agree with King Kashue. The guy is making a counter-offer. But I think you're reading it as he's trying to bend your will. Maybe he's trying to bend your will, and he's an asshole who goes around doing that to everyone in his life. Maybe he's simply making a counter-offer. Right now, I don't have enough information to say what his
intention
is. All we have is some words from the guy.

If it's truly against some formal ground rules, that you do something other than what you presented, then tell him that it's against some serious rules, and you could get into serious trouble with the FCC, FDA, SEC, PTA, ABA, or some entity. But I doubt that you can get into serious trouble.

Yes. I'm getting an image of you that you're awfully stiff. I'd be uncomfortable asking questions around you ... even if it meant something could be better.

Then again, for me, you're just words on a computer screen and I'm painting in all of this other stuff. You could really be an ogre; or you could be someone who's naive and needs to trust people and their intentions a little more.

Hmm,

Well I'm not, not will to compromise. That's why I put this up here first to see if I was over reacting to this guy. I have gone back and forth with him without slagging. He does want to meet, but he doesn't want to come out here to Ashburn, and wants some place closer to Alexandria, like Falls Church (a mid point between us) which is fine.

Ok, that's a bit harsh. Although you said it in the nicest way, I'm either an idiot or an a$$? This is what I will say about that, trust is not something that is in abundance here, 9 times out of 10, you will end up getting screwed if you trust people here that's just the culture here, so you kinda have to be guarded. This has been my experience, at least

• Members

This is what I will say about that, trust is not something that is in abundance here, 9 times out of 10, you will end up getting screwed if you trust people here that's just the culture here, so you kinda have to be guarded. This has been my experience, at least

Nope, you're right. I {censored}ing hate that about this area.

Having said that, once you guys get up and going, shoot me your myspace or songs or whatever. Maybe we could get some networking going, or at the very least, get some extra bodies at each others shows :D:thu:

Disclaimer: Our current myspace has our old singer on it, who was awful. :poke:

• Members

Hmm,

Well I'm not, not will to compromise. That's why I put this up here first to see if I was over reacting to this guy. I have gone back and forth with him without slagging. He does want to meet, but he doesn't want to come out here to Ashburn, and wants some place closer to Alexandria, like Falls Church (a mid point between us) which is fine.

Ok, that's a bit harsh. Although you said it in the nicest way, I'm either an idiot or an a$$? This is what I will say about that, trust is not something that is in abundance here, 9 times out of 10, you will end up getting screwed if you trust people here that's just the culture here, so you kinda have to be guarded. This has been my experience, at least

I wouldn't say either you're an idiot or an ass. I realize that many of us have mechanisms that keep us from trusting people. That's not about being an idiot or an ass. That's about protecting oneself; but often times, we're operating in that mode when we don't need to be.

• Members

I will never be in a band with someone who i do not know. especially if that person resorts to posting in classified type ads.

not to down-talk anyone who uses classifieds, I'm sure my goals and preferences are a lot different than yours. I would totally use craigslist if I was looking for a bassist for a 4 piece or something, I just find that things work so much better when you take a reliable friend with potential and "mold him" or give them motivation to practice and train his-self.....I find reliability and agreeability (is that a word?) much more important than musical skill. necessary and functional.

but that's all IMHO

I would have cut off that corespondance after the first response due to the pathetic non related responses, general lack of communication, and overt desperation.

• Members

I would have cut off that corespondance after the first response due to the pathetic non related responses, general lack of communication, and overt desperation.

This is one more legitimate interpretation of a single email.

Now, imagine being a judge charged with protecting the Consitution or, someone trying to read a Bible.

Lots o' luck!

The Bible readers are the worst off because they rarely collaborate; and they've got so much more at stake. :D

(Ok. I got that out of my system. Let's get back to the topic: proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that LouSpaceMoney is indeed an ogre. :p)

Archived