The very definition of a "bad idea"

lug

• Members

Since this legislation would apply to all the companies receiving gov't money (I don't think any are below the $5B mark), this is bigger than AIG. I can understand the frustration, but really the anger should be levied at the people who passed the two stimulus packages for not thinking of this situation beforehand. Literally billions and billions of dollars of gov't money has been spent on bonuses since last Fall (one story I read said $50B, trying to find it again).

• Members

Not really.

I got to work for company A and my agreed pay is salary plus bonus. I work for minimum wage plus big bonus. The agreement says I get my compensastion if I work till Dec 31 (BTW most of the bonuses at AIG were time worked based, not performance based), At the end of the year, I fulfill my end of the bargain by working until Dec 31. I get my compensation. Congress then decides to retroactively tax my compensation at 90%. They didn

• Members

I can understand the frustration, but really the anger should be levied at the people who passed the two stimulus packages for not thinking of this situation beforehand.

There is wording in the bailouts from Dodd that actually protect these bonuses who now insists the Obama administration "made him do it". It's certainly not that "they didn't know", it that they scurry like rats when the media does it's same old "tell half the story to get people pissed" routine. Protecting the bonuses is reasonable. The new "outrage" on Capitol Hill would be laughable if they weren't so dangerous.

• Moderators

There is wording in the bailouts from Dodd that actually protect these bonuses who
now
insists the Obama administration "made him do it". It's certainly not that "they didn't know", it that they scurry like rats when the media does it's same old "tell half the story to get people pissed" routine. Protecting the bonuses is reasonable.

I'm with you on all of this.

• Members
I got to work for company A and my agreed pay is salary plus bonus. I work for minimum wage plus big bonus. The agreement says I get my compensastion if I work till Dec 31 (BTW most of the bonuses at AIG were time worked based, not performance based), At the end of the year, I fulfill my end of the bargain by working until Dec 31. I get my compensation. Congress then decides to retroactively tax my compensation at 90%. They didn

• Members

There is wording in the bailouts from Dodd that actually protect these bonuses who
now
insists the Obama administration "made him do it". It's certainly not that "they didn't know", it that they scurry like rats when the media does it's same old "tell half the story to get people pissed" routine. Protecting the bonuses is reasonable. The new "outrage" on Capitol Hill would be laughable if they weren't so dangerous.

That was idiotic. But again...it was already being discussed in the other AIG thread. :poke:

• Members

Since this legislation would apply to all the companies receiving gov't money (I don't think any are below the $5B mark), this is bigger than AIG. I can understand the frustration, but really the anger should be levied at the people who passed the two stimulus packages for not thinking of this situation beforehand. Literally billions and billions of dollars of gov't money has been spent on bonuses since last Fall (one story I read said $50B, trying to find it again).

• Members

...not one Republican would get near the damn thing.

Because Republican's can only say one thing "tax break". Seriously, I think they actually have it in their contracts that the only two words they can utter now is "tax break" or "tax relief" or "lower taxes". :poke:

• Members

What is so sad is that the lion's share of the losses that are being funded at AIG are for the collateralized mortgage securities they insured. As I understand it, that was pretty much one guy allowed to run rampant by the AIG Board. The guys getting hte bonuses MADE MONEY for AIG, not lost it.

If AIG had not had 180 billion dollars funnelled to it to pay off the insured collaterallized mortgage securites we would have been giving the banks that were paid under the contracts by AIG the 180 billion dollars to make up for what AIG did not pay them.

The political posturing on both sides of the aisle is enough to make me puke. If they want to assess blame starat with the de-regulation of banks under Clinton and add to it the total removal of any oversight of the investment banks by Bush and the SEC. THEY'RE ALL TO BLAME!

All the bankers did is what the politicians let them do.

• Members

Because Republican's can only say one thing "tax break". Seriously, I think they actually have it in their contracts that the only two words they can utter now is "tax break" or "tax relief" or "lower taxes". :poke:

The GOP is betting the farm on this thing failing.

• Members

but, why is protecting AIG bonus contracts more acceptable than protecting IAW (UAW?) contracts? Union bustin' was one of the stipulations of bailing out Detroit.

I think congress critters shouldn't be messin' with contract law.

I'm non-union by the way.

• Members

but, why is protecting AIG bonus contracts more acceptable than protecting IAW (UAW?) contracts? Union bustin' was one of the stipulations of bailing out Detroit.

I think congress critters shouldn't be messin' with contract law.

I'm non-union by the way.

Because the financial personnel are being compensated comensurate with the world market. THe IAM and UAN contracts are well in excess of the world market for what they do.

AIG is competitive salary wise with the world market. GM, Ford and Chrysler are not.

Archived